April 29 update, we recently released some QuickBooks Online improvements to make it easier to pay bills1, especially if you pay multiple bills and vendors at the same time.
As we mentioned in our
Now you can:
- Filter bills for a custom date range, a single vendor, overdue only, and more.
- Re-sort bills without leaving and re-entering the Pay Bills page.
- Easily apply partial credits to multiple bills from the same vendor.
The Pay Bills page
To bring up the Pay Bills page, click Create (+) > Pay Bills2.
Select the bank account or credit card account to record the bill payments from.
Enter the date the payment was made on. For example, if you wrote a batch of checks on Monday and are entering it into QuickBooks on Thursday, you can mark the bills as paid Monday.
Starting check no.
If you select a bank account to pay from, enter the starting check number. You can also specify an online payment in this field3. Select the Print later checkbox to add checks to a print queue4.
Use a filter to view a customized set of bills on a single page. View bills in a custom date range or all dates, from a single vendor or all vendors, overdue only, and by location (if you have locations turned on).
Sort by column
For example, click the Payee column to sort alphabetically by vendor name5. If you sort by Payee, Ref No., or Open Balance, the secondary sort is Due Date. If you sort by Due Date, the secondary sort is Payee.
Rows per page
Click the gear to select how many rows to view on a page.
As you select a bill to pay, any available vendor credit is applied to that bill here. However, you can apply a partial credit or no credit at all to that specific bill. You can apply and distribute a single credit across multiple bills tied to a single vendor however you like.
Enter how much you want to pay for each bill. You can pay partial amounts of a bill. You can also overpay a bill if you like.
This shows your current account balance, total payment based on the bills you selected, and new account balance.
Record your payments
There are three ways for you to record the bill payments:
- Save and close: record payments and close the Pay Bills page.
- Save: record payments and return to the Pay Bills page so you can record more payments (from another account, for a different vendor, etc.).
- Save and print: record payments and go to the Print Checks page.
How to show all bills
- Click Filter.
- Select Date = All dates and Payee = All.
How to select all bills
Click the “Select all” checkbox (to the left of the Payee header). This makes it easy to pay a bunch of bills at once!
- Paying bills is available in QuickBooks Plus and QuickBooks Essentials only.
- You can also get to the Pay Bills page from two other places:
- Vendors > ▼ to the right of Prepare 1099s > Pay Bills.
- Transactions > Expenses > ▼ to the right of Print Checks > Pay Bills.
- If you made an online payment, you can record it by entering EFT in the Starting check no. field. This records your payment as an electronic funds transfer.
- To print checks from the “Print later” queue, go to Transactions > Expenses > Print Checks.
- Learn how to sort and resize columns in the Pay Bills list.
- Read our knowledge base article on paying bills for the latest info.
- Still have questions? Our pay bills community page has answers.
Report an issue or suggestion
Leave feedback by clicking the Gear icon in QuickBooks, and then click Feedback. This is the official way to get your ideas recorded and worked on! Learn more
Get technical support
While we would love to answer all your questions, the blog isn’t managed by customer care staff (only a lone blogger). Your fastest options to get technical support are listed on our Links page, under “Get help and give feedback.”