How it works
Left side navigation, so you can get right to work
No more having to scroll across the top of the page for your key tasks. In one click, you can see how you're doing, review what's done - and figure out what's next.
The Create button: Every job starts here
The (+) is your go-to menu for managing the basics: Create estimates and invoices, receive payments, record expenses, pay bills, run payroll and more.
One gear. All the tools you need to manage everything.
Data import and export. Bank reconciliation and budgeting. Even managing the details of your QuickBooks account. This one menu gets you to it - and through it - in seconds.
More streamlined. More efficient.
More mobile than ever.
Get paid faster - with less work. And no wondering.
Send invoices with a "Pay Now" button so customers can pay online by ACH bank transfer or credit card. You'll know when invoices are opened - and when they're paid.1
The to-do's in real time. So you get them done faster.
Pay bills, send invoices1 - all on time. The Activities feature puts all your follow-ups in one place, so you can see them (and take care of them).
Take your QuickBooks with you everywhere. Literally.
You won't always have your computer with you - but if you have your phone or tablet, you will have QuickBooks. Available by downloadable app or tablet web browser.
- Internet connection required (high-speed connection recommended)
- Supported browsers: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 10, Safari 6.1
- Also accessible via Chrome on Android and Safari on iOS 7
- Supported screen resolution: 1024x768
- PC: 1 GHz computer with 256 MG of RAM running Windows XP or later
- We don't support the Linux operating system, including Ubuntu or Fedora
- Mac: Intel-based Mac running OS X 10.5 or later
- For Windows users: Adobe Reader 7.0 or higher is required for printing forms (this is a free download).
- For printing forms, a laser or inkjet printer is required. We don't support dot-matrix printers.
- QuickBooks online mobile app works with the iPhone, iPad, and Android phones and tablets
- Not all features are available on mobile devices
Frequently Asked Questions
Keyboard shortcuts and how to find them
From anywhere in QuickBooks, just press CTRL + ALT + ? (or Command + Alt + ? for Mac) to see a great list of shortcuts.
How to create an invoice
Click Customers, on the navigation bar on the left side of the page, to open the Customers page and find a customer. Select that customer and click Create invoice from the Action dropdown, on the top right side of the page. A new invoice, already populated with the customer's information, opens. Just add the new information to the invoice and it's ready to send.
How to apply payments
Click (+) at the top center of the page to open the Create menu, then click Receive Payment (the second link in the Customers column). Enter a customer's name in the top left of the page to select that customer and choose a Payment method and a Deposit to account (don't forget the date). Now click on the invoice to select it. Click Save and close. Done, and the invoice now shows as paid.
Transactions aren’t being downloaded into your account
Click Transactions, on the navigation bar on the left side of the page, then click Banking to open the Bank and Credit Cards page. Click Update on the top right of the page and click Update Now (it's on the Update your accounts popup).
Seeing an error regarding your bank credentials?
Click Transactions, on the navigation bar on the left side of the page, then click Banking to open the Bank and Credit Cards page. Click Add Account on the top right of the page. Enter your bank's name and click Find, or if your bank is listed below, just click the link. Sign in with your Username and Password, review your information, and make any edits. And be sure to save your changes.
Where did memorized reports go?
They’re still there, we just changed the name to My Custom Reports.
Why the change?
- We revamped QuickBooks, based on customer feedback, using modern technology to give it an intuitive design. The new QuickBooks works on both traditional computers and touchscreens. Now you can run your business anytime and anywhere, and more efficiently than ever before. We also designed it to grow with you over time.
- This powerful modern technology provides a new design and experience, including:
- Ease of use, fast performance and the power of QuickBooks that you want and expect.
- An open platform that gives you access to the QuickBooks Ecosystem of small business tools as well as deep, seamless app integrations that feel more like activating new features than on-boarding new products.
- A mobile-first approach to enable business anytime, anywhere, on any compatible, internet-connected device.
- The ability to address customer feedback more quickly, and better, than before.
- We know you’re used to working in specific ways, and we want to help you transition your workflows to the new QuickBooks. In fact, we’ve created a guide, Getting Around in the New QuickBooks, to help you get started.
Is switching back to the old view an option?
No, but there’s a good reason for that. We’ve made these changes proactively because Google Chrome may be making significant changes to their web browsers, and these changes won’t let older web-based applications show popups. The old QuickBooks has a lot of popups (as we’re sure you know!), and these changes would cause it to break. Another important reason for our changes is that the old QuickBooks was created in old technology which has become costlier and more difficult to support. And it didn’t work on modern devices, like touchscreens.
The new QuickBooks uses more modern technology, works on touchscreens, and is not affected by these web browser changes. It’s faster, better, and we took the time to incorporate a lot of feedback from our users.
And just so you know, we’ve heard from users like you that once they get used to the new look and feel, they really like the new version and are more productive.
What happens to existing QuickBooks Merchant Service and/or Intuit PaymentNetwork accounts?
Now payments with QuickBooks is even better--you can get paid faster, and in more ways. We’ve combined the credit card processing feature of a QuickBooks Merchant Service account with both the invoicing payment feature and the bank payment option of Intuit PaymentNetwork in a new single account, which we’ve named QuickBooks Payments.
- You can process payments from within QuickBooks, or even on the go with a mobile device.
- You can also email invoices that have a new and improved Pay Now button, so your customers can pay online, instantly.
- These single-account features and payment types also auto-update with QuickBooks, so your books are updated and balanced without any extra work for you.
To learn more about these changes, select the type of payment account(s) you currently have:
Have questions about your Payroll data and tasks?
Don't worry - all your payroll data is still there (except for any checks that you didn't approve prior to the update). We’ve just integrated your payroll and accounting tasks to make them easier and more efficient to manage.
- To Do’s: Payroll and accounting to do’s are now centralized in the Activity Feed on the right side of the home page. When it’s time to pay your employees, or taxes, you’ll see a reminder in the Activity Feed.
- Taxes: Payroll taxes are in Taxes, on the navigation bar on the left side of the page. We did this to bring your payroll and sales taxes together. That way you don’t have to visit multiple areas when it’s time to take care of things like taxes.
- Settings: Company and Payroll settings are now all grouped together. Just click on the Gear icon, at the top right side of the page, to access them.
If you were previously accessing QuickBooks using a bookmark, you may encounter an error accessing the new QuickBooks or the Employees page. Go directly to https://qbo.intuit.com/ to easily access the new QuickBooks in the future.
See what customers are saying
The notifications are helpful, especially with the ability to link right to an action. So if an invoice goes past due, it pops up a notification for me, with a link to "Send Reminder" which I can then email natively through QB. I like that. – Jordan, Active Controls
From the first click to getting deep into the weeds this updates has made every step easier and much more seamless. I like the functionality and information that is simple one or two clicks away and you can see where you are going. Awesome I love it. – Michael, BK Custom Painting
I have used QB on and off for over 5 years. This update was by far the best update. It is a very future forward approach. – Aaron, Binary Technologies LLC
Being able to go online and have an up to date view of all charges, deposits, and checks cleared is really great. It allows you to be on top of your accounts, rather than waiting to see all issues during a monthly reconciliation. It is great to have many reports available instantly. A really important issue is being able to allow your accountant to have access to QB. This saves time of traveling to his office etc. – Jeffrey, N. H. Courier Services, LLC
Love the new QuickBooks update. Having the graphs on the main page is awesome, and I love the ease of sending out invoices. When I called QuickBooks they spent 20 minutes on the phone with me answering all of my questions and gave me a bunch of easy quick tips. Just from the 20 min on the phone with them I feel super confident navigation around the program. – Scoop, Happy Fish Hawaii LLC
- Payroll and/or Payments feature updates are available to existing Payroll and/or Payments subscribers. Payroll and Payments are optional; additional fees apply. If you do not already have these features activated and would like them, visit http://payments.intuit.com or http://payroll.intuit.com for more information.
- QuickBooks Online requires a computer with a supported Internet browser (see System Requirements for a list of supported browsers) and an Internet connection (a high-speed connection is recommended). The QuickBooks Online mobile app works with iPhone, iPad, and Android phones and tablets. Devices sold separately; data plan required. Not all features are available on the mobile apps and mobile browser. QuickBooks Online mobile access is included with your QuickBooks Online subscription at no additional cost. Data access is subject to cellular/internet provider network availability and occasional downtime due to system and server maintenance and events beyond your control. Product registration required.
- Intuit does not warrant or guarantee the quality of QuickBooks ProAdvisors' (either certified or non certified) work and Intuit is not responsible for any errors, acts or omissions of Certified QuickBooks ProAdvisors or non-certified QuickBooks ProAdvisors.