5 of the World's Coolest Internship Opportunities
The word “intern” is often taken to mean “person who makes coffee and distributes memos.” Not at these five companies. If you’re looking for some real-world experience with an exciting, successful organization before launching your own entrepreneurial venture, these innovative internship programs could help you hit the ground running.
- Marvel Entertainment — If a trip to Comic-Con is your lifelong dream, then an internship at Marvel is for you. The publisher behind Spider Man, X-Men, The Incredible Hulk, and hundreds of other superheroes offers a huge range of New York City-based internships in areas such as design, editorial, and inventory. Check out Marvel’s hilarious program descriptions here.
- ESPN — Football fanatics, baseball addicts, and hoop dreamers alike will relish the chance to focus on the business of sports reporting for ESPN in a 40-hour-a-week paid internship in Bristol, Conn., or New York City. Production-assistant interns can sort through game footage to collect highlights, while statistics and information interns can research thousands of player stats for broadcasts. Watch ESPN’s website for Spring 2012 internship listings.
- Apple — Want to help engineer the next iPad or assist in the launch of a brand-new Apple Store in Copenhagen? Apple’s student internship program, available as either a three- or six-month stint, offers them access to an executive speaker program and puts interns at the top of the list for company jobs post-graduation. Check out the worldwide list of internship opportunities here.
- charity: water — charity: water is a New York City-based nonprofit with the marketing chops of a Fortune 500 company. It’s funded projects to bring clean water to more than 2 million people in 19 developing countries, using social media and compelling videos to gain international attention. Try your hand as a “happiness” intern, helping to run the volunteer program and giving thanks to generous donors, or as a multimedia intern, writing blog posts and making videos about the organization’s work. Check out all the intern opportunities here.
- GOOD — GOOD is an online and print publication dedicated to innovation “for people who give a damn.” Help the company move the world forward as an intern in its Los Angeles office. Depending on your skills and interests, you could help reach out to prospective advertisers, assist with the design of story art, or even write stories for the website and magazine. Learn more at GOOD’s site.