6 Mobile Apps for Keeping Time Cards or Tracking Billable Hours
Ever feel like you don't have a good handle on time -- when you ought to be tracking employee working hours or your own billable hours for clients? You can use your smartphone or tablet to access internet services devoted to small-business time tracking and billing, such as eBillity, Paymo, Toggl, and Yast.
But even if your company isn’t committed to an online time sheet or billing service, your mobile device can be a valuable aide for logging billable hours, employee hours, or client-related expenses. Here are six mobile apps to help you do just that.
- Android Time Card (Android; $3.95) — Need a simple yet automated method to keep tabs on employee hours? Android Time Card offers basic check-in and checkout features. Completed time cards can be emailed in CSV format for processing in spreadsheets or payroll application. Time Card also tracks mileage and supports multiple languages.
- ClockedIn 2 (iOS; $4.99) — If you need to track tasks that span multiple days for billing purposes, this app can handle it. ClockedIn can push tasks onto the iPhone calendar for scheduling purposes. It doesn't have built-in invoicing or billing features, but it can create customer and project summary reports by day, week, or month.
- iPunchclock (iOS; $4.99) — If multitasking and managing multiple people is your challenge, iPunchclock manages multiple independent time sheets. The app uses the iPhone's location awareness to add another dimension to your billing records. Data can be exported in different formats or uploaded to Google Docs.
- TimeCatcher for Android (Android; free) — Intuit's own time sheet mobile app tracks time spent on the phone with clients through a simple timer. The data can be exported as a CSV file, email, or text message; a future version will integrate with QuickBooks or QB Time Tracker.
- TimeClock — Time Tracker (Android; $3.99) — This app caters to those who bill by the hour. You set different hourly or incremental rates for each client, and TimeClock calculates the earnings. Data can be exported to a spreadsheet for invoicing, or you can opt for the company's $5 per month invoicing service.
- Timewerks (iOS; $2.99) — The Timewerks timer keeps running even when the application is closed! The app integrates with your iPhone address book to create new client records and may be customized to accommodate different rates for different tasks. Invoices may be created within the app and sent via email. Timewerks also can be integrated with a separate piece of software to accept credit card payments.
Heather Clancy is passionate about solving small business problems.