No matter how great your content is, people aren’t going to find it unless you put some effort into promoting it. But not to worry – it’s not as difficult as it sounds. In fact, getting your content seen can be as simple as following our five handy promo tips.
1. Share it on social media
Sharing your work on social media is probably the most popular method for amplifying your content. And it is for a good reason: it allows you to instantly reach large audiences for little to no money. To make the most of this promotional method you should:
- Shape your presence. Separate your personal and professional platforms. This will help you better control your audience’s perception of you and your work. Make sure to take advantage of all social media platforms that are right for your business. Also, link your primary site to all of them, so followers can access your curated content with ease.
- Use hashtags. Using hashtags on social media is an effective way for people to find your content. They function as search terms, so should be simple and relevant to your posts. You can be creative with the hashtags, but be careful not to go overboard – too many hashtags can make your post look unprofessional and unappealing.
- Be consistent. As soon as you post new content, you should update your followers on social media. A regular content schedule will inform your audience when it’s time to come back for more, and generate anticipation.
2. Feature it on your website
Having a website is essential for hosting and sharing your content. It’s where your audience will come to find out more about your brand, so make sure it’s attractive and easy to navigate. A newsfeed featuring your latest blog posts will keep your landing page fresh and lead visitors directly to your content hub.
3. Promote it in your email campaign
If you’re not doing so already, start creating regular e-newsletters for your audience. Creating your own content is not only a great way to populate those email campaigns, but you can also use this platform to share other updates and promotions relating to your business with your subscribers.
4. Engage with online communities
Chances are there’s a forum or page on an aggregate site where you can find conversations relating to your subject matter. These include platforms such as Reddit and Tumblr, where enthusiastic communities are actively creating, sharing, and discussing all kinds of topics. Here, you can directly join the dialogue, refer to your content when appropriate, and build relationships with other members who might enjoy viewing more of your stuff.
5. Build a strategy
Of course, regardless of what you do, you should have a plan in place. This will help you streamline your content marketing process and take a chunk of promo stress off you in the future. In your strategy, you should consider how often you want to create new content, where to promote it, and how much time you’ll spend engaging your followers. This is often a learn-as-you-go exercise that will require fine-tuning along the way, so don’t stress about getting it perfect the first time.