Many people have used this lockdown period and working from home as an opportunity to start a business on the side of their regular gig. Our upcoming webinar will explore how two successful Intuit QuickBooks customers have used our software to support the growth of their start up.
How to turn your great idea into a thriving business
Found yourself with some extra time to work on that business venture you have always wanted to develop this year? You are not alone. Lots of people have made productive use of lockdown periods and working from home to start a new venture and you can too.
Why not use this time to work on a side hustle – which is a job that is extra to your regular employment – to earn some extra money and explore your potential as an entrepreneur.
Ideas for starting a side hustle
- Be a blogger: If you’re an expert in a particular subject matter – or even an aspiring one – you can earn some extra money by creating a blog. The idea is to write articles and post them on your page and social media profiles. When you have built a critical mass of followers you can display advertising on your site to monetise your blog.
- Become an AirBnB host: This is for people with an extra room, a basement that could be transformed into guest accommodation or even a granny flat. With no overseas travel at the moment, there’s lots of demand for tourist accommodation in the domestic market. So why not put your vacant rooms to use and earn extra income welcoming visitors?
- Set yourself up as a virtual assistant: a virtual assistant is someone who can help organise other people’s busy lives. They perform tasks such as organising meetings, updating databases and doing reseach, plus lots more. There are many web sites where you can set up your profile such as Upworkand Freelancer to bid for virtual assistant jobs.
How to make your side hustle a success
These are just some very simple ideas. There’s a host of other paths you can take to become the next great Aussie entrepreneur. You might have found a new way to make smart phone cases, you might have developed an app to create e-books. Whatever you side hustle, it’s a great idea to put together a simple plan so you know where you’re going and to give youself the biggest chance of success.
Here are some thought starters for developing a simple plan to turn your idea into a nice little income stream:
- Put together a simple business plan. Figure out how much money you will need to start and make sure you have the funds and resources to invest in it. It’s also important to have the time to devote to it. You might also see who else could help you set up your new business, such as friends, family or other colleagues.
- Think about who your likely customers will be. How will you reach them? How will they find you? You need to be where they are.
- Look at other competitor products and work out what your point of difference in the market will be.
How to start a side hustle with the help of Intuit QuickBooks
Learn everything you need to know to make your side-hustle a success when Intuit QuickBooks Australia interviews two entrepreneurs and customers who turned their start-up idea into success with the help of our software.
Register now for our upcoming event “Kick-starting a side hustle in 2020”, as part of NSW Small Business Month.
One of our two side hustle stars is YouTube sensation Natasha Rose. Each week she uploads hugely popular DIY and craft projects to her channel and she has grown a very engaged following in a relatively short space of time. Our other side hustle hero is vintage t-shirt entrepreneur Lachlan Limit.
As Intuit QuickBooks’ customers, they’ll tell you all about how QuickBooks Online has allowed them to set up the financial foundations for their side hustle.
What we’ll cover:
– Coming up with an idea that will fly
– Starting out and how to grow a side hustle
– Useful business and financial management tools
– Advice for people starting out on their side hustle
– An opportunity to ask our experts questions
The event is on 27 October 2020 between 11:00 am and 12:00 pm. Register here and we’ll send you a confirmation link with details of the Zoom meeting. Spaces limited.
Intuit QuickBooks Australia looks forward to having you at the session.