In 2019, roughly 29 million self-employed workers who also had a job through an employer lacked health insurance through that employer, according to the Gig Economy and Self-Employment Report conducted by QuickBooks® and Gallup. Today, more than ever, those who are self-employed – regardless whether they have an employer – are challenged to find an affordable health insurance plan to fit their needs.
We’re teaming up with HealthSherpa, a free website that can help you find, enroll in, and make the best use of your Marketplace health insurance. Their easy-to-use tool aims to help QuickBooks Self-Employed customers in the United States find and enroll in affordable individual health insurance plans, including Medicaid and Medicare.
Why we teamed up with HealthSherpa
Here are three reasons why we teamed up with HealthSherpa:
- Easy plan comparison. You can find a plan based on what matters most to you, such as doctors, prescriptions, or price.
- Instant savings. You can quickly see what savings you qualify for under the Affordable Care Act (ACA), without having to sign up.
- Year-round support. HealthSherpa’s licensed support agents are available year-round by phone, email, or chat.
It’s not open enrollment; can I still get health insurance?
Outside of open enrollment periods, you typically can only enroll or change health coverage if you have a qualifying life event. Not sure if you have a qualifying event? HealthSherpa has a tool to help.
If you are currently uninsured or experiencing economic difficulties, you can apply to see if you, or anyone in your family, may qualify for Medicaid, or the Children’s Health Insurance Program (CHIP), at any time.
As of June 2, 2020, California, the District of Columbia, Maryland, Massachusetts, and Vermont opened up special enrollment periods to help people without health coverage get insured during COVID-19.
Do HealthSherpa plans cover COVID-19?
Yes, HealthSherpa only shows ACA-compliant plans, meaning:
- ACA plans cover ALL medically necessary testing and treatment.
- You can’t be denied coverage, or charged more, for having COVID-19 or other pre-existing conditions.
- There are no annual or lifetime dollar limits on the benefits you receive. In fact, all ACA plans place an annual cap on how much you pay out of pocket.
How do I get started?
Already a QuickBooks Self-Employed user? Log in to your account on your phone or desktop browser, and you will see the discover more card on the main dashboard. Once there, you’ll have the option to click on the find out more link. You can learn more about why QuickBooks has teamed up with HealthSherpa and start your application.
Not a QuickBooks Self-Employed user? Visit our dedicated QuickBooks + HealthSherpa page to get started.