There were more than 175 billion app downloads last year, a figure that is over 60 percent more than two years prior, according to research by the market specialist group App Annie. With numbers like that, it is clear that this trend is here to stay. With this in mind, let’s take a deeper dive into what apps are and how to find the ones that will help support your business.
What are Apps?
Plain and simple, the term “app” is short for a computer software application. Apps started gaining popularity after the first iPhone launched in 2007. By 2010, the term had moved beyond tech jargon and became so commonplace that “app” was named the “Word of the Year” by the American Dialect Society.
Mobile Apps vs. Web Apps
You may know mobile apps primarily through your experience with iTunes or Google Play on your mobile phone. These mobile apps often offer features of a website, such as Facebook, that are most popular on the go. In addition to mobile apps, there’s another world of apps available on the web on your desktop. Some of these web apps integrate with existing business software, such as QuickBooks® Online (QBO), to help you run every aspect of your business.
QuickBooks App Store
QBO is a powerful, small business accounting service, but it doesn’t do everything a business needs. Apps that integrate with QBO can fill this gap and address common business tasks such as project management, field service management, payment processing and workflow automation. These integrations allow for seamless data sharing between QBO and the app, which can save time with data entry. As a result, you will have accurate, real-time company data that helps you gain greater insights into your business.
To find apps that connect with QBO, visit the QuickBooks App Store. QBO users can also find apps by clicking Apps in the left-hand navigation bar of your QBO homepage. From there, you can search for a specific app by name, or browse by category, recommendations or business type. Check out the app videos to learn more about how each app can help you with your business.
The key advantage that the QuickBooks App Store has over others is that it features a curated selection of apps with proven value to business owners like you. Search by category to help find an app for a specific task, such as invoicing or expense management. Or, browse the industry section to see which apps are best for those in retail, construction, non-profit, manufacturing or a membership-based business.
Most apps in the QuickBooks App Store offer a free trial. The risk of trying is minimal, but the reward potential is huge. Here are some of the jobs and tasks the QuickBooks App Store can help with:
- Calculate Quotes – Create and send estimates to your clients
- Get Funded – Grow faster with funding
- Make Payments – Automate your accounts payable
- Manage Customers – Take control of your customer relationships
- Manage Human Resources – Take care of your employees
- Manage Projects – Keep the workflow going smoothly
- Perform Analytics – Get deeper insights on your business
- Prepare Taxes – Accurately calculate and file your taxes
- Receive Payment – Get paid faster
- Run Payroll – Pay your employees on time
- Send Invoices – Automate your account receivables
- Sync Data – Enter data once across platforms
- Track Expenses – Keep bills, receipts, invoices and statements organized
- Track Inventory – Avoid overstocking or running out of inventory
- Track Time – Track employees’ time and simplify payroll
Many QuickBooks Apps have a mobile version that offers a subset of features that is easy to use when you are on the go. To get the most out of QuickBooks apps, you need to connect the desktop version to QBO and then download the mobile version from iTunes or Google Play.
QuickBooks Apps have the power to alter your business for the better. Use that power wisely by seeking out the apps that can save you the most time, money and manpower from a trusted source.