One of the improved features in QuickBooks® Enterprise is data level permissions, included with a QuickBooks Desktop Enterprise 21.0 Platinum and Diamond subscription.
With data level permissions, user roles are modified to include restrictions, and users are then assigned to those specific roles.
You can customize user access to view, edit, or delete from a specific group of customers, vendors, and data they are responsible for. You can also improve security and confidentiality by limiting user access to only the specific data, transactions, and reports they are responsible for.
Detailed steps for implementing improved data level permissions:
- Log into the file as the Admin user. From the menu bar, select Company > Users > Setup Users and Roles and select the Roles tab. Edit an existing role, or create a custom role. For this article, I will edit an existing role.
- Select the Accounts Receivable role, and choose on the right to Duplicate.
- Type a Role Name, with an optional Description for detailing the restriction(s).
- In Role Access, click on Centers, and in this example, click on Customer Center.
- In Activity Assess Level, click Custom and then Edit.
- If no Customer Groups exist, create a customer group. Optionally, in the top left, you can select to “Allow this role to create new customers,” and then choose to permit the assigned users of this role to View, Modify, Delete, Print, or View Balance.
In these images, a Residential AR Accounts role is being created and assigned to the Residential Customers group. This same functionality is also permitted for working with Vendor groups.
In the following image, the user with the restricted Residential AR Customer role is trying to modify a Customer record that’s assigned a Commercial customer type.