Welcome to the October QuickBooks® Online (QBO) New Features and Improvements – formerly known as Product Release Notes. Here, you can find an overview of recent product news and updates we’ve developed for our customers. Highlights this month:
- We’re testing a new, streamlined onboarding, or first time user, experience to enable quick setup, as well as fast and accurate business insights for you and your business.
- We’re launching new mobile features to simplify your business and help you get more flexibility to access cash flow information and track invoices anywhere.
- We also have great information to share about QuickBooks Self-Employed.
Faster and Easier Onboarding Experience
In early October, some of you may have experienced a new onboarding experience when signing up with QBO. Here are the key benefits to your first-time user experience:
- Faster Setup. The initial Company Setup is now easier, with fewer fields to fill out and a faster way to connect to a bank right from the setup interview.
You now can personalize how you use QuickBooks by selecting which jobs are most important, such as Invoicing, Retail Sales or Paying Employees.
Getting Started pages have been simplified, and each page on the new left navigation has a “getting started page,” if no data has been entered. New Getting Started pages have been added for Banking, Customers, Expenses and other categories.
- Instant and More Accurate Profit & Loss. On the QBO homepage, the old Profit & Loss visual was replaced with a new, more robust presentation that shows P&L as a snapshot in time.
- Guided Bank Feeds Categorization. Several improvements were made in bank feeds. When you click on Review Transactions in the new P&L widget, you will be taken to a new categorization first-use flow, where you will be presented with only the previous month’s transactions to categorize. In addition, multiple transactions from the same supplier or customer will be offered as a batch to either accept all or review one by one, and you can see the progress, as the Income and Expenses bars fill in as each transaction is categorized.
- Navigation Enhancements. Intuit is testing substantial improvements to the left-hand navigation in QBO. Common activities are now organized under more logical Sales, Expenses, Banking and Chart of Accounts menu locations. Transaction views have been moved to simpler money-in and money-out menu centers. Sub-navigation is now managed through convenient tabs. In addition, different customers will see different navigation options, depending on how you signed up for QBO.
More Flexibility and Critical Info Through New Mobile Features
Because QBO is “mobile,” it is available whenever and wherever you are, whether it’s in the field, at home or even at the gym. Here is a link to the mobile app, and here are some new features in QuickBooks Mobile:
Cash Flow Insights. Now you can see if you are making money with a single tap. The new Cash Flow Insight seamlessly connects all accounts, so you will have an instant picture of all income and expenses. You will recognize the value of this new feature during QBO setup, and whenever you use the P&L dashboard card.
Invoice Tracking. A powerful new invoice tracking feature allows you to instantly see if an invoice has been sent, viewed by your customer or paid. When an invoice is created, tracking information is listed at the top of the invoice screen. New data filters allow you to search for date-oriented billing expenses that are related to an invoice. A convenient activity feed lets you check the status of all recent invoices.
Your Accountant Can Assist You With QuickBooks Self-Employed
If you use QuickBooks Self-Employed (QBSE), your accountant can now access and manage your data for you from QuickBooks Online Accountant.
If you aren’t using QBSE, key features include automatic mileage tracking that uses mobile GPS and other factors (with minimum battery usage) to automatically record trips with the date, starting location, ending location, total miles and potential tax deduction. Other features include “point and snap” receipt capture, simple transaction categorization to split business and personal expenses in a few swipes, and invoicing capabilities to get paid faster.
Contact your accountant and let he or she know that you are using QBSE. If you don’t have an accountant, you can use the Find-a-ProAdvisor website to locate one.
For More Information
This article is the first in a series of articles about features and enhancements to QBO for you and your business. Check back often on the QuickBooks Online blog more articles that will help you increase your sales, assist with marketing tactics and help you grow your business.