2016-11-09 00:00:00Finance and AccountingEnglishDiscover if you need to pay any income taxes in Canada If you're a U.S. citizen who is working in Canada.https://quickbooks.intuit.com/ca/resources/ca_qrc/uploads/2017/03/US-Citizen-Calculates-Number-Of-Days-She-Has-Resided-In-Canada-Before-Filing-Taxes.jpghttps://quickbooks.intuit.com/ca/resources/finance-accounting/what-to-know-if-youre-a-u-s-citizen-working-in-canada/What to Know if You’re a U.S. Citizen Working in Canada

What to Know if You’re a U.S. Citizen Working in Canada

0 min read

If you’re a U.S. citizen, you may need to apply for a work permit to work in Canada. If you’re in certain professions, such as in a film crew or a convention organizer, you don’t need a work permit.

If you reside in Canada for more than 183 days in a calendar year, you are required to file an income tax return in Canada and declare all your income regardless of the sources. If you file a 1040 federal tax return in the United States, you are exempted from paying tax on the income you earned and paid taxes on in Canada.

If you work in Canada but don’t live there, unless you applied for an exemption of tax withholding or your employer is a U.S. company, you are required to file a Canadian tax return and pay tax on the income you earned in Canada.

References & Resources

Information may be abridged and therefore incomplete. This document/information does not constitute, and should not be considered a substitute for, legal or financial advice. Each financial situation is different, the advice provided is intended to be general. Please contact your financial or legal advisors for information specific to your situation.

Related Articles

Should You Get a University Degree Before Starting a Business?

Young entrepreneurs tend to be extremely passionate about their ideas. If you’re…

Read more

How to Start a Consulting Business

If you’ve worked in a specific industry or field for any length of…

Read more

Financial Analysis: How to Calculate Variances

Variance analysis is a financial analysis technique that looks into why your…

Read more