The hiring process demands that you know a little more about a candidate than what you uncover through the interview process. Checking references is a great way to ensure you have the right person for the job.
- Ask how long the reference has known in the applicant.
- Pose open-ended questions to avoid yes or no answers.
- Ask if the applicant is trustworthy.
- Determine the type of relationship between the two parties.
- Try to gauge the sincerity of the respondent.
- Ask if there an employee-employer relationship.
- If so, determine whether there any ethical issues.
- Ask if the respondent would rehire the applicant.
- Ask questions about the candidate’s strengths and weaknesses.
- Talk less and listen more.