High quality, educational content can promote your business and build your customer base. However, your content won’t help to close sales if your website doesn’t rank at the top of search results when potential customers look for products or services that your business offers. Links to your website from other websites — also known as backlinks — are important for your search engine optimization (SEO) strategy because they boost your search engine ranking and therefore traffic to your website increases. The following techniques can help you significantly increase your backlinks and raise your website’s authority level.
Interviews and Guest Posts
One of the best ways to get your new company noticed and gain valuable backlinks to your website is being interviewed on an authority site in your field. Social media sites like Google Plus and LinkedIn are a good way to find bloggers and journalists and pitch them about an interview. You can also use social media to contact and pitch authority blogs about guest posting on a trending topic in your field.
The Skyscraper Method
The skyscraper technique helps you significantly improve your search engine ranking by using existing linkable assets. Linkable assets are existing pieces of great content that is already widely linked to by other authorities in your field. Instead of reinventing the wheel, you can build on existing ideas and make them better.
Here are some SEO tips for improving on a linked asset.
- Expand on an article. Review popular articles and use them as a basis for your own new article. Think about reader questions that weren’t answered in the original article and write your article to address them.
- Grow a list. For example, write an article that features 10 tips for new entrepreneurs using the cloud. Add to and improve on the list by including 40 tips for running a business on the cloud.
- Update older articles. Some articles are based on old links and out of date information. Write and publish a new article based on current information.
When you’ve done one or more of the above, contact authority blogs that linked to the older posts and ask them to update their existing content with backlinks to your new and improved content.
The Moving Man Method
As a new small business, it can be hard to get the attention of authority blogs in your field. The Moving Man method helps you to get noticed by helping authority blogs to keep their own links current in return for a backlink. Here is how it works.
- Resources in company blog articles become outdated whenever a webpage shifts to a different domain or is deleted.
- You can find outdated backlinks on websites by searching for terms like “page no longer exists” or “website closed.” SEO tools like the free or paid versions of backlink checker on Monitor Backlinks can help you search for authority sites still linking to the dead pages.
- When you find authority sites with outdated links, email to inform them about it. As a substitute link, offer your own article or list that contains the current information.