2018-05-07 10:04:20 Insurance and Benefits English Learn about contents insurance, what it covers for small businesses, and why a small business may need to purchase contents insurance even... https://quickbooks.intuit.com/ca/resources/ca_qrc/uploads/2018/04/Man-Explaining-Content-Insurance-Listener.jpg https://quickbooks.intuit.com/ca/resources/insurance-benefits/content-insurance-explanation/ What is Content Insurance?

What is Content Insurance?

1 min read

Content insurance is coverage for business personal property. There are two types of property in insurance lingo: real and personal. Real property is land, buildings and structures that are attached, such as fences or bridges. Business personal property is any other kind of property, including furniture, computers, inventory, equipment, machinery and anything you can move in and out of the building. Your small business needs insurance coverage of personal property, whether or not you own your place of business.

Even if you rent a building for your business, you may need building and content coverage for property of others left in your care. For instance, if you run a dry cleaning establishment, your customers leave their clothing in your care. Coverage is also vital for property kept at a secondary location, such as inventory stored at a warehouse or equipment stored in a nearby garage. The owner normally insures the building, but not its contents, and most commercial leases consider any additions or alterations you install to be a permanent part of the structure, so you might need some building coverage to cover the cost of any improvements you make.

A Business Owners Policy combines most of the coverage your small business needs into one stand-alone policy that automatically covers buildings and personal property, while also providing coverage for business interruption and contingency business losses. This standard policy includes additional coverage that you may not need and don’t get charged for. The standard Commercial Property Policy package with a Building and Personal Property Coverage form is an alternative that you can customize to meet your unique needs.

For example, your business may need special coverage for certain types of property or against certain causes of loss. Standard property insurance policies limit coverage for high-value items like jewellery and fine arts, so you may need a special type of insurance, called an inland marine policy, if you have these items in stock. Your business may also need commercial crime insurance or a fidelity bond, since standard policies generally don’t cover losses due to theft or employee dishonesty. These individual policies can be assembled to form your Commercial Property Policy. A commercial broker that understands your business and your risks is the best source for obtaining the coverage you need for your contents and for making sure you’re not discontent after a loss.

Information may be abridged and therefore incomplete. This document/information does not constitute, and should not be considered a substitute for, legal or financial advice. Each financial situation is different, the advice provided is intended to be general. Please contact your financial or legal advisors for information specific to your situation.

Related Articles

Boost Your Small Business Blog With Content Curation

Content marketing is an effective way to build your brand and bring…

Read more

Use Content Moments in Your Small Business Marketing Strategy

Content moments encompass the eight ways by which people interact with content…

Read more

Creating a Content Calendar

Use a content calendar to plan and organize content marketing activity for…

Read more