A patent lets you protect your invention from being used by unauthorized people. To apply for an international patent as a Canadian citizen, take the following steps:
- Visit the Canadian Intellectual Property Office website and access the Patent Cooperation Treaty e-filing system.
- If you don’t already have an account, create one. Otherwise, log in to the system.
- Complete the online application and attach relevant documents.
- Pay the filing fees online.
- Alternatively, visit the World Intellectual Property Organization website to access the ePCT portal.
- Log in to the ePCT portal and file your application online.
- You can also download the PCT-SAFE software from the WIPO website and use it to prepare your application.
- If you have trouble filing your application online, fax it to the Commissioner of Patents at the fax numbers listed on the CIPO website.