cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Community Contributor *
Solved

Batch enter transactions in QB Pro 2016

My apologies, this is embarrassingly simple: I can't seem to access the Batch Enter Transactions function consistently in QB Pro 2016. I usually get it on the pull-down menu obtained by clicking-and-holding on the chevron-like icon at the very RIGHT end of the top icon bar, just to the LEFT of the Search box. Batch Enter Transactions is usually far down on the list, but it's there. But now I'm having the problem that only a shortened form of the menu appears and does not include the BET function. So:

1. How do I consistently get the window with that chevron icon to appear?

2. How do I make sure all of the items that should be on that pull-down menu are there? [removed]

Thanks so much

Best answer 12-10-2018 08:42 PM

Accepted Solutions
Established Community Backer ***

The Chevron simply means you have more icons than fits on...

The Chevron simply means you have more icons than fits on the bar; you tailor the bar and remove icons you don't need, and organize them.

If it is not on the icon bar, you find it from the Menu = words across the top.

I am pretty sure Pro doesn't have Batch Entry.

6 Comments

The Chevron simply means you have more icons than fits on...

The Chevron simply means you have more icons than fits on the bar; you tailor the bar and remove icons you don't need, and organize them.

If it is not on the icon bar, you find it from the Menu = words across the top.

I am pretty sure Pro doesn't have Batch Entry.

Community Contributor *

As a follow-up: That chevron (">>") symbol appears on my...

As a follow-up: That chevron (">>") symbol appears on my office-installed QB Pro 2016 icon bar, and I can click-and-hold on it and see a long pull-down menu, one of the lower items of which is Batch Enter Transactions. But at my home desktop machine, with the same software installed from the same disk, I'm having trouble getting that chevron symbol to appear on the icon bar and thus can't find Batch Enter Transactions anywhere on my home desktop machine. Please tell me what I must do to have that chevron symbol appear on my home QB Pro 2016 icon bar. Thanks. <a rel="nofollow" target="_blank" href="mailto:ggoodman@hvhs.org">ggoodman@hvhs.org</a>

I have responded to your email, and will put it here for...

I have responded to your email, and will put it here for others.

Menu = The WORDS across the top. You keep using "menu" for "The rest of the icons in the dropdown listing of too many icons to show on the icon bar."

Words = Menu on the top of the program, just below the Title Bar = View Menu, File menu, Edit Menu.

I am pointing out that you customize the Icons = for your Convenience. Your Actual Functions, what is and is not available, is confirmed by Looking at the Menus.

The Chevron is not a Pull Down Menu; it is a Listing of "More icons to show you, because you selected Too many as Active, and they don't fit on the Icon bar."

When you ask to get the Chevron to show, you are asking about Customizing the Icon bar. The Chevron is an Indicator, not a Function.

See if this helps:

You used to have a 4-door car. Then, you get a 2-door car. You want to open the "back door" and cannot find the Door Handle = wanting to See the chevron to see the icon. However, seeing a handle or not is Not the issue. The issue is, do you even HAVE a second door, one that opens to the bank seat only? If you don't have the function at all, there will never be an Icon to see or to add for your own convenience, and you confirm this by looking at the Menu = the icons are simply easy clicks to trigger Functions that might be 3-menu Clicks level deep. I can "put the icon on the bar" to Save Clicks = faster.

I know you keep stating Pro "at the office" has the tool. I keep describing that Logging into a File can Change which tools are available to you, particularly if your Username in that file is set up as "External Accountant."

I am pretty sure that Pro does not have that tool, under normal operating conditions. I know the Accountant Edition has the tool, built in.

The function you are asking about is not in Pro, for typical user names. Look here:

and here:

and here:

You would only see this in Pro because you are logged into a specific data file as the specific External Accountant, or perhaps, at the office, you are using Accountant Edition and not Pro.

I hope this helps.

"to your Icon Bar from that menu it will add it to the to...

"to your Icon Bar from that menu it will add it to the top bar under the Drop Down Menus.  If you have to many icons on the bar thats when you have to use the Chevron to view Icons that dont fit accross the top bar."

The listing of the functions and as icons is the same for the Top bar or the newer left-side Shortcuts bar.

It is the Same Thing you are customizing. You can easily switch between them. Use your View menu to see this.

Established Member

ggoodman, I found the "Batch Transactions" Icon from: the...

ggoodman,

I found the "Batch Transactions" Icon from: the Drop Down Menu, View/Customize Icon Bar.  When you add the "Batch Transactions" Icon to your Icon Bar from that menu it will add it to the top bar under the Drop Down Menus.  If you have to many icons on the bar thats when you have to use the Chevron to view Icons that dont fit accross the top bar.  If the Icon is no longer appearing in the Chevron try using the Customize Icon Bar feature to remove some of the Icons that you dont use leaving the "Batch Transactions" Icon in a viewable position.

Good luck,

cyntek

You will want to Edit your comment and Remove your Email...

You will want to Edit your comment and Remove your Email from this Public Internet Forum, to avoid being Spammed.

"As a follow-up: That chevron (">>") symbol"

Which is the indicator that you have More Icons than can fit on the Bar; you control this with the Customize Icon Bar function. You get to remove Intuit's Marketing and other icons you don't want or use; you get to Add those you use; you get to Reorganize them and even create little Dividers, to group them.

And starting with QB 2013, the intent is to use the Left Side "shortcuts bar" which really is more powerful than the old Top icon bar and has even more flexibility for organizing your routine tasks into easy access points.

"appears on my office-installed QB Pro 2016 icon bar, and I can click-and-hold on it and see a long pull-down menu, "

Icons that didn't fit on the bar...

"one of the lower items of which is Batch Enter Transactions. But at my home desktop machine, with the same software installed from the same disk, I'm having trouble getting that chevron symbol to appear on the icon bar"

Which means your Icon Bar likely has room for the only icons you currently chose to have showing here...

"and thus can't find Batch Enter Transactions anywhere on my home desktop machine."

Icon Bar = shortcuts for convenience.

EVERYTHING you have enabled is found on your MENU. Menu = words across the top. Then, while you have something open, you can use View menu > Add To Icon Bar, and now you have it Conveniently as an icon.

Or, use View menu > Customize Icon bar. Just like the "other" machine shows at the end, after the >> and the available icons = Customize, to delete and select and reorganize.

"Please tell me what I must do to have that chevron symbol appear on my home QB Pro"

Your goal is not the Chevron. Your goal is Tools as Icons. The Chevron simply indicates: "Click here to see the rest of your Icons, because you have Too many icons to fit across the top."

View menu > Customize Icon Bar...

Three dots indicates an Area of Functionality that you will use to refine how QB works for you.

From the Customers Menu, you will see if something is available, such as Batch Invoicing. From Vendors Menu, if there is a function you can access, you see it here.

As I pointed out, I don't believe Pro has Batch Entry. You can log into a data file as the "External Accountant" in Pro, which reveals many of the Accountant Tools. That is because your username in That specific File is set up as such.

Pro does not have specific tools in it as default available because it is the Entry level program and is cheaper. The Accountant Edition always shows those tools on its menus all the time, because this program has those tools by default.

I attached screenshot for your reference.