cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
BigBillFL
Level 3

Duplicate Accounts-I need to delete one of them

I have a client who manually entered transactions and also downloaded the same transactions using her bank feed.  The transactions were downloaded into a different account than the one she used to manually enter her transactions.  Consequently, all of the transactions in the bank feed account were entered twice, doubling the income and expenses.

The bank feed account has a lightning bolt in the cleared column.

I need to delete the bank feed account and all of its transactions.  How do I do this?

Please be specific.  Thank you.

Solved
Best answer November 10, 2018

Best Answers
lynda
Community Champion

Hello @BigBillFL:

@lyndaand Matthew @parkwayinc here to help you with a short video on how you can delete a duplicated bank account created by your client with a bank feed download to Desktop QuickBooks.

Note, you would need the Accountant's version of QuickBooks to perform this task.   Basically, you have a few options:

1 . Go to accountant (top toolbar) Batch Delete/Void transactions.  Make sure you select only the ones from the exact bank account (sort by account) and select them>delete them.

2.  You could merge the two bank accounts.  Make sure you merge the new one into the old one.

3.  You can manually (and this is the painful way) delete them one at a time (like 4 clicks).

As with all of the suggestions above (and demonstrated in our video) you need to BACKUP your data file before choosing any of these methods.

We hope this helps, if not, feel free to reach out to us with more questions.  We are here to help you!

Have a wonderful weekend!

Matthew and Lynda

View solution in original post

6 Comments 6
Rustler
Level 15

delete is really inactive to get the account off some lists, the contents do not go away

you have to delete each transaction that is a duplicate from whichever account it should not be in

lynda
Community Champion

Hello @BigBillFL:

@lyndaand Matthew @parkwayinc here to help you with a short video on how you can delete a duplicated bank account created by your client with a bank feed download to Desktop QuickBooks.

Note, you would need the Accountant's version of QuickBooks to perform this task.   Basically, you have a few options:

1 . Go to accountant (top toolbar) Batch Delete/Void transactions.  Make sure you select only the ones from the exact bank account (sort by account) and select them>delete them.

2.  You could merge the two bank accounts.  Make sure you merge the new one into the old one.

3.  You can manually (and this is the painful way) delete them one at a time (like 4 clicks).

As with all of the suggestions above (and demonstrated in our video) you need to BACKUP your data file before choosing any of these methods.

We hope this helps, if not, feel free to reach out to us with more questions.  We are here to help you!

Have a wonderful weekend!

Matthew and Lynda

blake22
Level 1

I have this same problem, but I don't have the accountant version, I have quickbooks desktop for mac.

Angelyn_T
QuickBooks Team

Thank you for joining the thread, @blake22.

Allow me to join the thread and help share information about handling duplicate transactions in QuickBooks Desktop (QBDT) for Mac.

To remove the duplicate transactions in QBDT for Mac, you may need to locate each duplicate transactions and delete them manually. If you need further assistance with the process, you can always get in touch with our QuickBooks Support Team

In addition, you can also check with our QuickBooks Dekstop for Mac 2019 User's Guide to know more about QBDT for Mac.

Please feel free to add a comment below if you have any other banking concerns, I'd be glad to help you. Have a good one!

cherie8887
Level 1

Hi Lynda & Matthew-

I'm TRYING to help a friend who lost his bookkeeper and I know NOTHING about Quickbooks (neither does he) and he has the online version. I'm able to fumble my way through on some things like categorizing MOST of the transactions. One big problem we're having is somehow the same Main Bank account got downloaded twice and we don't know how to MERGE the two because your answer is for the desktop version. HELP!!

JamaicaA
QuickBooks Team

I’m happy to provide you the steps to merge the bank account in your QuickBooks account, @cherie8887.

When you merge two bank accounts, all of the data from the duplicate is transferred to the one you choose to keep. It’s irreversible, which means you won't be able to undo this afterwards.

Here’s how:

1. On the left pane, select Accounting menu and click Chart of Accounts.
  2. Choose which account you want to keep, then click the drop down arrow next to View register and select Edit.
  3. Kindly take note of the account details and tap Cancel.
  4. Search for the account you want to merge. Then, click the drop-down arrow next to View register and select Edit.
  5. You can change the account name and click Save.
  6. Select Yes to confirm the process.

For more information about merging accounts, customers, and vendors in QuickBooks Online, you can check out this article. It includes all the steps to remove the duplicates.

I'm always here to help if you have other banking questions or concerns. Just press the Reply button to add your comment. Take care!

Need to get in touch?

Contact us