cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Frequent Explorer **

Entering Payment for Job

I have some invoices that are for jobs under a customer. When I try to receive the payment it doesn't show up under that job, just that Customer. What did I do wrong and how do I correct it? 

Thank you!

4 Comments

Re: Entering Payment for Job

It's nice to see you again in the Community, @HeiCon.

Thanks for providing a screenshot. I noticed that you selected the customer on the Received From drop-down. This will show all the open invoice(s) for that customer. To correct this, try choosing the specific job instead.

Here are some sample screenshots for your guide.

23.PNG24.PNG25.PNG

After that, click Save & Close to complete the process. For additional information, consider checking out this article: Record a payment for an invoice.

That should do the trick! Keep me updated on how everything goes or if you need further assistance. I'll be here to help. Have a good day.

Frequent Explorer **

Thank you, but did you see the screen shots I attached? Although the invoice is entered under the job, when I go in to accept payment, it is not under the job, only under the customer.

QuickBooks Team

Thanks for getting back to us, HeiCon.

Let me help you further regarding accepting payment for a specific job in QuickBooks Desktop.

I appreciate the screenshot you've provided above. To better isolate the issue, you may want to delete and re-create the invoice.

1. Open the invoice.
  2. Click Delete at the top and choose Delete.

After deleting and re-creating the invoice for that specific job, you can accept the payment through the Receive Payments option in the job's invoice screen.

Here's how:

1. Open the job's invoice, click Receive Payments.
  2. Under Customer Payment, make sure the job is selected.
  3. Hit Save & Close.

If you're still getting the same issue, let's try to verify and rebuild your data. The data verification process in QuickBooks is a tool that examines the health of your QuickBooks company data file.

To Verify Data:

1. Choose Window at the top, then Close All.
  2. Choose File.
  3. Click on Utilities.
  4. Choose Verify Data.

To Rebuild Data:

1. Choose File.
  2. Click on Utilities.
  3. Click Rebuild Data.
  4. You will receive a warning message to backup your company file, press OK.
  5. Click OK when you get the message "Rebuild has completed".

You can check out these recommended articles for more details:

This should get everything back in working order. Please let me know if you need more help with receiving customer's payment in QuickBooks Desktop.

Frequent Explorer **

Thank you. I never considered I might have to rebuild data. I'll proceed as suggested.