cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ComputerFaery
Level 1

Help setting up 2 accounts to sync when on network

So I’m moonlighting as IT support for my friends who just started their own golf cart repair business. Currently they share 1 laptop with the  Quickbook account and 1 laptop that they do all their correspondence/emails on. The mechanic will usually be out working on carts with no internet connection but bring the quickbook laptop with him so he can print  invoices, etc. Then when he gets back he gives it to his wife who does the bookkeeping, paying invoices, adding new inventory, etc.

Unfortunately this means she doesn’t get started until he returns home in the evening. 

Is there any way I can network the two computers so they can both be worked on separately  and then merge when back on the same network?

Ideally she should be able to work on paying past invoices and adding inventory on the “Home/Host” laptop while he is out doing jobs and creating new customers and invoices. Then when he gets back home his computer will sync and be updated with her work and her computer will have all the new invoices he made. They will be completely in sync when on the same network.

ive seen guides on how to do this when two computers are on the same LAN/WAN network constantly by just having the 2nd computer from off the first “Host” comp but he frequently goes to areas with no connections and needs to not be dependent on WiFi.

can anyone help point me to a good guide on how to set this up? Also Currently they just have one user account for Quickbooks - I assume they’d have to get another so as to have 2 user accounts to get this working?

Thanks in advance!

3 Comments 3
JessT

Hi ComputerFaery,

I appreciate how you explained the needs of your client. However, we’re unable to achieve this scenario without setting up a multi user environment. Then, both computers should be accessing one company file only.

The closest solution would be a hosting network, which your client and his wife can access the file in cloud. It’s just that this requires an internet connection.

For the situation of your client, we're unable to provide a workaround other than entering the manually entering the transactions he created to their company file at home.

Please don't hesitate to go back to this thread if you have other questions.

ComputerFaery
Level 1

Yeah I don’t mind setting up multi-user but according to you both computers would have to constantly be connected to the network right? 

Is there no solution for when the secondary computer will not have internet access intermittently? And still be able to use QuickBooks?

JonpriL

Thank you for the response, @ComputerFaery!

You can create a network drive for your clients multi-user access. Allow me to join into this thread and help you accomplish this.

First, creating a network drive allows access to your company file even without an internet connection.

With this, here's how you can map your network drive depending on your computer's operating system:

1. Go to This PC.
  2. Under Computer, select Map a network drive.
  3. Choose one from your unused drive.
  4. Select Browse.
  5. Go to the location of your QuickBooks company file.
  6. Click OK and then Finish.

Once done, you can now map a network drive for your company file. In addition, I've included our detailed guide in mapping a network drive for your company file.

Last, here's an article you can read to learn more about activating multi-user mode: Host your Company Data File in Multi-User Mode.

Feel free to leave a comment below if you have any other questions about multi-user mode. It'll be always my pleasure to lend a hand.

Need to get in touch?

Contact us