cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Community Explorer **

I just want to express how pathetic I think the usage limits are. It appears to be an obvious and unnecessary way to bilk users out of more money.

78 Comments
BRC
Established Community Backer ***

Re: I just want to express how pathetic I think the usage limits are. It appears to be an obvious and unnecessary way to bilk users out of more money.

Seems no real accounting system would have such small limits - artificially enforced at that.

Re: I just want to express how pathetic I think the usage limits are. It appears to be an obvious and unnecessary way to bilk users out of more money.

I can't imagine that anyone would sign up given the 150% increased cost

Established Member

It is truly ridiculous, this is making us reconsider continuing to use quickbooks online at all. 250 chart of account max? Completely ridiculous cash grab at 150% increase.

Frequent Explorer *

Completely Agree!  I have clients with over 500 Accounts in their COA.  It is NOT due to their business being more complex and definitely is making my clients want to consider other software.

Frequent Explorer *

Another issue my clients are not happy about that I was told the QB sales team is that users are being forced to have a monthly payment &  no longer can pay for a year in full.  Many of my clients want to pay once & be done.  Monthly payments are just one more transaction to think about & is an obvious way to try to mask the drastic increase in cost.  

QuickBooks Team

Re: I just want to express how pathetic I think the usage limits are. It appears to be an obvious...

Hello everyone.

I'd like to take a moment to thank you all for sharing your thoughts on this. I'm here to provide some clarification on QuickBooks Online Usage Limits.

Should you, or a client, be in excess of any limits mentioned in the usage guide, things will operate as normal as long as no changes are made to the number of these items. Additionally, the Limits Dashboard has been introduced in order to quickly and easily track an account's usage. This can be accessed by selecting the Gear icon, choosing Account and Settings and selecting the Usage tab. Also, any items, such as accounts or classes, that are made inactive will not count towards the limit. I'm including some articles which cover how to accomplish this:

I can assure you that your input is valued. The sharing of ideas and solutions is one of the many things that help to make the Community such a wonderful place.

One example of necessary extra accounts is the lack of Fixed Asset Manager in QBO. If you have even a small portfolio of real estate but with separate assets for land, building, improvements, as well as maybe a liability loan on each. Then add payroll and whoops you can no longer keep your online books for a mere $720/ year, now it is $1800/ year. $1800!!!!! For nothing substantially added. And the usage limits of the lesser plans certainly ought to be accompanied by a price reduction.

Every year the price increases are claimed to be due to added features. Well now that features are being removed, how about a slash in standard pricing.

Frequent Explorer *

I definitely agree with John!  For my Real Estate / Construction Clients, Quickbooks Online is already very limited in vital Reporting needed.   I have several complaints from my Construction Clients about losing the Job Reports they use to be able to use on their Contractor Desktop versions.   In regards to Real Estate, each time a new Property is added, that is a new Account that is added.  Because of this new Account Usage Limit, it now is limiting my Clients from properly recording these new Assets.   Because of this, I just told a new Construction Client to hold off on converting to QB Online from his desktop.  I am looking into other online software options for him now that provide the Reports he needs with the convenience of online and definitely not for $1800 a year.

BRC

@john-pero 

RE: Then add payroll and whoops you can no longer keep your online books for a mere $720/ year, now it is $1800/ year. $1800!!!!!

Yea.  Or get Pro for $150, or $50 a year if you have connected services, from Amazon.  And it has more and better features.  And if you don't have connected services (payroll, bank feeds) you can just keep using it until your computer breaks. No charge.

QuickBooks Team

Re: I just want to express how pathetic I think the usage limits are. It appears to be an obvious...

To clarify a few things, QuickBooks is evolving to keep pace with businesses as they grow and to ensure that customers are working with the plan that’s the best fit for them. To do that, we revised our plans and added usage limits to match the capabilities of our products. This is not a price increase, as you are not forced to pay any more money unless you want to use more product functionality.

If a user is above the usage limits then they are in the top 5% of usage across QuickBooks Online in the United States. Additionally, they have the option to not add any entity to the usage limit and continue with business as normal. Of course, there is also the option of cleaning up the books, such as trimming the Chart of Accounts, since inactive entities don't count against usage limits.

I know that some of you may have questions about QuickBooks Online Advanced. This is a powerful new product designed for growing businesses to give customers more capacity and functionality, such as smart reporting powered by Fathom and accelerated invoicing. You can try out the software using the QuickBooks Online Advanced Sample Company. Additionally, if you should have questions about this, I recommend the following article: QuickBooks Online Advanced Overview.

The feedback provided by users helps to drive the introduction and development of software. Cheering you all to continued success in all your endeavors. 

@DavidSC wrote:

I know that some of you may have questions about QuickBooks Online Advanced. This is a powerful new product designed for growing businesses to give customers more capacity and functionality, such as smart reporting powered by Fathom and accelerated invoicing. 

The feedback provided by users helps to drive the introduction and development of software. Cheering you all to continued success in all your endeavors. 

The only differences between Plus and Advanced are

- this artificially created account/class limit,

- the ability to have 25 users (I can't imagine who needs this - if a business has 25 accounting staff then QBO is not nearly the right program),

- the importing of invoices, this is a plus but is available for no extra charge in the UK, and batch invoicing.  And you can get Excel Transactions Importer and Deleter for $10 per month. 

- Fathom, which is just a reporting tool (QBO has reporting already). It does offer consolidation capability but I can't see that getting used at $150 per company

So really not much there.  I can't see what business will go for this as it stands now. 

"The feedback provided by users helps to drive the introduction and development of software"

I don't see that this was requested by anyone.  Import capability / batch invoicing was heavily requested within the 60,000 deleted requests,  not just invoices, maybe 2,000,  58,000 to go.  And definitely not for any extra cost, given that the price has already gone up 100% - it was just $30 a year or so ago - never mind an extra 150% per month.

ProAdvisor

My 2 cents on New usage limits in QuickBooks Online.

It's pathetic when Intuit also counts inactive accounts and classes.
After all, it's Intuit software program that will not allow you to delete accounts or classes. Or delete many other lists.

Hope they reconsider either not to count or come out with a way to delete...that's fair!

In QuickBooks Desktop, they offer both options —to delete the class or to make class inactive. It's another big missing feature in QuickBooks Online (QBO).

class_delete_inactive.PNG

Community Contributor *

the most important thing we quickbooks users can learn from intuit is how very many ways there are to raise prices.  Intuit truly excels at jamming price increases down the throats of its subscribers.

Community Contributor *

other software--what choices should we consider?

Community Contributor *

This is not a price increase and there was no collusion.

Community Contributor *

I agree, this is completely ridiculous. We deal with construction and real estate which requires a lot of property level specification in the CoA and Classes. I would not consider us a heavy user at all but this level of specificity is important for compliance purposes. What a joke.

QuickBooks Team

Hello there, alexyates.

Thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts. I'd like to provide some information about the usage limits in QuickBooks Online.

To clear up some details, one thing I'd like to mention is that if you are currently at or over the limit, you will be able to keep all of these items and use them, even after the limits go live in April. Additionally, any Account, Class, or Billable User that is inactive will NOT count toward the limit. The difference being, you wouldn't be able to add anything to these groups or make items inactive then active again.

This article provides additional information on the new usage limits: https://quickbooks.intuit.com/community/Help-Articles/What-are-usage-limits-in-QuickBooks-Online/m-p....

Feel free to comment below if you have any other questions.

BRC

@MorganB 

IMO Intuit doesn't need to keep defending this.  One post from Intuit is enough.

Please let your customers ridicule this move without further comment.

Community Contributor *

You seem to mention this "grandfathered-in" concept a lot in these threads but fail to realize that people who require this level of specificity need to update their chart of accounts/class lists (add/remove) regularly which is the ability you're also taking away.

They just lost me as an Intuit Pro-Advisor.  They also lost any future business they could have expected for QBO and Payroll.  And they will now lose the portion of business I still have that currently subscribe to their product.

Kill my ad budget?  FIne.  Make it impossible for me to get advertised on the Pro Advisor website?  Fine.

Useage limits?   BAH-BYE!

Community Contributor *

If so few users are in excess of the usage limits, why make the change? It appears the change is arbitrary in order to force users to migrate to a higher priced option which coincidentally is a relatively new product.

This reinforces my decision to recommend QBO in only very specific select cases as the customer has no control over QBO verse Desktop. At least with the Desktop version features are not taken away (if they are, people won't upgrade to the latest version). I know users that stopped upgrading the Desktop version due to the password requirements which were added. The biggest reason for upgrading Desktop is payroll and with so many other providers, this isn't a big deal. 

QuickBooks Team

Hello, mayer1.

Thanks for following up on this thread. I'd like to provide some additional info on QuickBooks Online Advanced.

If a user is in excess of any Chart of Accounts, Classes/Locations, or Users, they will be able to keep the exceeded items without change. The difference here being they wouldn't be able to add anything new to these groups or make an item inactive then active again. Any inactive entity will not count against the limit. Users that are satisfied with what their Simple Start, Essentials, or Plus versions will not be forced to upgrade to Advanced.

Current QuickBooks Online users will need to upgrade to Advanced if they require more than 250 accounts in the chart, 40 tracked classes or locations, and 5 users. The Advanced version also offers new features like smart reporting, the ability to import invoices, and a personal Success Manager. You can find out more about Advanced by following this link: https://quickbooks.intuit.com/accounting/advanced/.

I'd be happy to help if you have any other questions.

BRC

@MorganB

RE: If a user is in excess of any Chart of Accounts, Classes/Locations, or Users, they will be able to keep the exceeded items without change. The difference here being they wouldn't be able to add anything new to these groups or make an item inactive then active again.

Intuit reps keep stating this as if it sounds good, but it doesn't.  Really it is basically the least you could do.  But there really isn't much utility in this, because those that have larger lists very likely need to add to them on a regular basis.  No idea what Intuit is thinking with this one.

Community Contributor *

wow a personal success manager.  who needs accounts if intuit is so generous as to offer us a personal success manager.  always enhancing our experience.