cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
faithbaker178
Level 1

I need a report that shows OPEN BILLS by CUSTOMER/JOB?

26 Comments 26
FritzF

Thanks for reaching out to us here in the Community, @faithbaker178.

I'm here to share some information about the report that you need in QuickBooks Online (QBO).

Just to confirm, when you say "Open Bills", are you referring to billable expenses? If so, currently, QBO doesn't have a report that can pull up open billable expenses by customer/job. However, you can pull up the Transaction List by Customer report and filter to show all your Billable Expenses by Customer regardless if they're paid or not.

Here's how:

1. Go to Reports menu at the left panel, then type Transaction List by Customer on the search bar.
2. Click Customize at the upper right and choose your preferred date on the General drop-down.
3. On the Filter drop-down, pick Billable Expense Charge on the transaction type drop-down.
4. Select Run report.

For your reference, you can check out these articles for more information:

I can see how this feature would be helpful for you and your business and I encourage you to submit feedback. These requests and suggestions are forwarded to the Product Development Team for consideration in future updates. This can be done directly through your account by clicking the Gear icon in the top right corner, then select Feedback or by going to the following link: QuickBooks Online Feature Requests. I'm going to submit feedback from my side as well.

That should answer your concern for today. Please let me know how it goes or if you're referring to something else. I'm only a few clicks away if you have any follow questions. Take care and have a wonderful day.

itshallbedone
Level 2

When I run that report, it comes back blank.  I have entered bills in, and when I enter in no criteria it only returns invoices and payments received, doesn't list any bills that are in the system.  Did I enter the bills incorrectly or am I missing something to get it to return results?  I ran it against different customers to see if I could get anything to show bills.  HELP :)  I can't get QB to even come online chat to help.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Let me help, @itshallbedone.

Generally, if you have billable expenses for your customer, this should show on the Transaction List by Customer when filtered. Let's figure this out together and ensure you get the result you need.

When creating the bill, did you check the billable box and enter the customer on the Customer/Project column? If you did, this will show on the report when you filter the transaction type to billable expense charge. I've attached some sample screenshots below.

To know more about tracking billable expenses, please refer to this article: Enter billable expenses.

You can also track billable time by job. If you need it for future use, you can check out this link: How to enter billable time by job.

I hope this is what you're trying to achieve. If not, you can always get back to me and I'll help you further with your entered bills. 

itshallbedone
Level 2

You solved the mystery.  I didn't check that billable box.  Thank you so much for the easy and quick tip that saved my a lot of time and headache.

MorganB
Content Leader

I'm glad to know you received the info you needed here in the Community, itshallbedone. You know where to come if you ever need assistance again in the future. Wishing you the best!

itshallbedone
Level 2

I spoke too soon - I was able to run the report of outstanding billable expenses by customer, but it doesn't show the Vendor, just an invoice number, amount, etc.  There is no option to add "vendor" as a column.  I am looking for a report of outstanding bills by customer listed with vendor name.  Any thoughts?

MorganB
Content Leader

Hello again, itshallbedone.

While there are many ways to customize reports in QuickBooks Online, the Transaction List by Customer Report doesn't offer the option to include vendors. In this case, you may want to run the Transaction List by Vendor Report, then compare it to the Transaction by Customer data.

Please let me know if you have any other questions.

itshallbedone
Level 2

That is not very useful if I am to submit a report to my boss for approval on what bills to pay.  I will just have to merge two excel reports together which seems silly.  Is there a place to submit suggestion/ideas?  This would seem like such a basic report that other would need to use. 

Thank you for your help and quick replies.

MorganB
Content Leader

I can see how this would be a beneficial report option, itshallbedone. I believe other users would agree.

You can submit you feedback by:

1. Clicking the Gear icon in the top right corner.

2. Select Feedback.

I'll do my part as well and pass this along directly to the Product Development Team. You can keep up with feature releases and updates by viewing the QuickBooks Blog: https://intuit.me/2L2zqTv.

I'll be here if there's anything else I can assist with.

Castle
Level 2

Any movement on this?  Could really use this report.  Moved in May from another software...love Quickbooks online except the report center...not user friendly at all!!

Ckgalliano
Level 1

Yes this would be a very useful tool.  QBO does not have reports that include job costing enough, which is why next year both of our companies are leaving QBO

TXUser13
Level 3

This is absolutely atrocious!  How can you not have a report that shows unpaid bills by customer with a Vendor name.  This is absolute job costing 101!!!  You have got to come up to speed on the basics of job costing if you want us to recommend QBO for any construction or project-type businesses. The fact that you would even suggest that we spend the time comparing different reports to figure out this information is ridiculous!

kvechmary
Level 1

This report is absolutely necessary for the functioning of some of out clients. PLEASE ADD THIS AS SOON AS POSSIBLE.

Martha Langley
Level 1

This is what I did to get the report with the open invoices, vendor and customer.

This will sort by customer.

Reports:
Transactions by Account
 All dates (adjust to however you process AP)
Customize
Rows/ Columns
Group by: Customer
Select the following: Date, transaction type, number, name (vendor), account number, memo/description, amount(you can adjust these if needed to fit your needs)
Remove: Split
Filter:
Transaction Type- Bill in the drop down
A/P Paid- Unpaid in the drop down

Hope this helps someone!
mm101
Level 1

What was your original report?  Transaction by account is not one. 

SheilaCurley
Level 1

We use Enterprise Contractors edition of QB. It has a report called "Unpaid Bills by Job" located in Reports/Contractor Reports/Unpaid Bills by Job.  There is also a report called "Unpaid Job Bills by Vendor".

SEL Construction2
Level 1

We have enterprise but not the contractor edition, any change there is a work around for unpaid bills by job report?

D Lane
Level 2

I don't see a filter on this report?  I have a client who is trying to clean up unpaid bill report and needs to see the project/client name.  This is an important report when you have any projects in QBO.  I hope they add that function soon!!!

Ethel_A
QuickBooks Team

I understand how important it is to have a report of unpaid bills with the project or client name, @D Lane.

Currently, unpaid bills report with the client or project name is not yet available. I recommend sending feedback or a feature request. Our Product Development team is there to help improve your experience in QuickBooks Online. 

Here's how:

1. Select the Gear icon at the top, then Feedback.
  2. Enter your comments or product suggestions. 
  3. Then select Next to submit feedback.

Then you can track your request on this website: Customer Feedback for QuickBooks Online.

For future reference, check this article for customizing reports in QuickBooks Online: Customize reports in QuickBooks Online.

You can comment below if you need assistance running reports in QuickBooks Online. I'm always here to help. Have a great day.

rlmoore
Level 1

This report is a must! When we need to find out what we owe to one vendor on one job to get a lien waiver or pay them this open bill report by vendor and by job is so necessary. Any ETA on development?

MichelleBh

I hear you, @rlmoore.

I understand it is necessary to determine what you owe to one vendor on one job. This way, you can get a lien waiver or pay them this open bill report.

We're unable to determine a specific time when this kind of report will be available in QuickBooks. I'd recommend checking our blog to know the current features and news in QuickBooks.

I've gathered helpful articles below to upload a bill from a computer, memorize reports, and other related matters:

You can comment below if you need assistance running different reports in QuickBooks. I'm always here to help. Keep safe.

ariel17
Level 1

I may have found a work around:

Go to Reports > Create a New Report > select Expenses > click Create > click Customize > search columns > select Customer drop down > check Customer Name > then search Transaction drop down > click Show All Columns > check A/P Paid > search Expense drop down > make sure to check Due Date, Transaction number, Transaction Date, Transaction Type, Amount, Vendor Name > then go up to Filter > Filter: A/P Paid , Operation: Equals , Value: Unpaid > then finally go to Group and in the drop down select Customer Name.

This should sort the report by customer, show unpaid bills with the vendor name, amount bill #, etc. Of course fill free to check and select all columns, filters, etc that pertain to what you're looking for!

TPS1992
Level 1

We have transitioned from Quickbooks desktop to Quickbooks online. We have a substantial number of jobs with multiple vendor invoices. We were able to easily compile a report of unpaid vendor invoices by job so as to pay multiple vendors as we receive payment from each job. We cannot find any similar report in Quickbooks online. We have requested this to be sent to the action team at Quickbooks for platform attention.

Is there a report now that we can access to filter unpaid vendor invoices by jobs?

Carneil_C
QuickBooks Team

Thanks for joining the thread to share the details of your concern, @TPS1992. I'll share a workaround so you can run the report in QuickBooks Online. 

I appreciate you sending your suggestion to our Product Development Team. They'll be able to review it and might implement it in future product enhancements.

Since it is unavailable, you can pull up two separate reports. These are the Open Invoices report and the Project Profitability Summary. You can see the required information, like open vendor invoices and projects.

Here's how: 

1. Go to the Reports menu.
  2. Choose Open Invoices and then the Job Profitability Summary report.
  3. Click Customize Report and go to the Filters tab.
  4. Select the Accounts filters, and then select All Accounts.
  5. Select OK to save the changes and memorize the reports if necessary.

I've added these great resources that'll help you modify them:

If you have any trouble with your reports or other transactions in QBO, please let me know, and I'll do everything I can to help here in the Community.

Need to get in touch?

Contact us