cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
SB55
Level 2

I received email but I don't know how to respond. My issue was a new client was attached to another client file when I set it up. I was told to click Sales from the left menu. There is no "sales" in the left menu bar.

Solved
Best answer April 08, 2019

Best Answers
JaneD

I received email but I don't know how to respond. My issue was a new client was attached to another client file when I set it up. I was told to click Sales from the left menu. There is no "sales" in the left menu bar.

Allow me to join in this thread, SB55.

I appreciate you for elaborating the situation. The detailed information you've provided can help me look for a resolution. 

It seems that you're referring to the path location of your QuickBooks company file. Please know that all company files have a default location (C:\Users\Public\Public Documents\Intuit\QuickBooks\Company Files). 

If you want to change the file location, please follow these steps:

1. Go to the location where your file is currently saved.
  2. Right-click on the company file (ends with .qbw) and choose Copy.
  3. Go to another location and paste the company file.
  4. Open QuickBooks and click on Open or restore an existing company. Then, select Open a company file and click on Next.
  5. On the next window, locate your file where you pasted it. 
  6. Click on the file to highlight and click on the Open button.

Just in case, you can also check out this article about saving backup copies: Create backup of the QuickBooks Desktop company file.

If you need further assistance, you can always reach out one of our experts through this link: Contact the QuickBooks Desktop Customer Support Team.

Don't hesitate to keep me posted on how things go. I'll be right here to help. Have a great day.

View solution in original post

8 Comments 8
AldrinS
QuickBooks Team

Greetings, SB55.

Thanks for posting in the Community. I'm here to provide some clarification regarding this matter.

Based on what you've mentioned, I can confirm that the instructions listed on the email you received are for QuickBooks Online. That being said, do you mind filling me with the details in that email? Any additional information you can provide will help to ensure a timely solution appropriate for the Desktop version.

Until then, I'm including an article about the update processes that may help you resolve this: Add and edit multiple customers, vendors, and items

Please let me know how I can help you succeed. Thanks for reaching out, I look forward to hearing from you again.

SB55
Level 2

Thanks for responding.  I did state I was on desktop version; glad to know I'm not losing my mind looking for something that is not on my version.

I got a new client.  I set the new client up using the new client feature.  When I went to log in a second time, I noticed the client was "attached" to my prior client - who has nothing to do with this one.  I wanted to see how to "detach" them, or void the new client and start over.  I don't know if this is a licensing issue...I have multiple clients and just wanted to add one more.

SB55
Level 2

I am not having trouble with customers.  I has a new client.  I set up a whole new company.  The software location is attaching it to a previous company location.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi, @SB55.

Allow me to join in the discussion and help provide some information about clients that are attached to other clients.

It seems you're referring to Customers & Jobs in QuickBooks. I'm assuming you have accidentally dragged a customer under another active customer on the Customer Center page.

To detach this customer from the other customer, click the diamond shape and align it to the other customer by dragging it to the left side.

Let me attached a sample screenshot below for your reference.

detach customer.PNG

As always, you can check out our site if you need some references in the future: Help articles for QuickBooks Desktop.

However, if this is not what you're referring to, please let me know. I'm always here to help however I can.

SB55
Level 2

No, I am not referring to customers and jobs.  I am a client who does accounting for multiple companies.  Each company has their own QB file.  When I added a new company, it attached itself to an existing company.  I can still get to it fine; just don't like the idea of a Location file extension attaching to a previous company file that is not affiliated to it in any way.  I guess I am not explaining my problem correctly.  Possibly it is a licensing issue although I thought I was not limited to having multiple companies.  Please give me a telephone number to contact Intuit to clear this up.  Thank you.

JaneD

Allow me to join in this thread, SB55.

I appreciate you for elaborating the situation. The detailed information you've provided can help me look for a resolution. 

It seems that you're referring to the path location of your QuickBooks company file. Please know that all company files have a default location (C:\Users\Public\Public Documents\Intuit\QuickBooks\Company Files). 

If you want to change the file location, please follow these steps:

1. Go to the location where your file is currently saved.
  2. Right-click on the company file (ends with .qbw) and choose Copy.
  3. Go to another location and paste the company file.
  4. Open QuickBooks and click on Open or restore an existing company. Then, select Open a company file and click on Next.
  5. On the next window, locate your file where you pasted it. 
  6. Click on the file to highlight and click on the Open button.

Just in case, you can also check out this article about saving backup copies: Create backup of the QuickBooks Desktop company file.

If you need further assistance, you can always reach out one of our experts through this link: Contact the QuickBooks Desktop Customer Support Team.

Don't hesitate to keep me posted on how things go. I'll be right here to help. Have a great day.

SB55
Level 2

Yes!  Thank you!  I have moved the file to it's own location.  However, since I used the copy function, it is still "attached" to the old file.  Can I delete the file in the old location without losing anything?  Thanks again.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there, SB55.

Thanks for coming back.

Once the working file is saved on a different file path location, you can delete the old one. However, it'd be best not to do so. This way, you still have the original backup copy just in case you need it in the future.

If you have more questions, please don't hesitate to post. 

Need to get in touch?

Contact us