cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
skwang300
Level 1

In QB online, how to run a P&L report summarized by class and actual vs budget in the columns? Can a third-party report-writer produce this report from QBO?

14 Comments 14
SophiaAnnL

In QB online, how to run a P&L report summarized by class and actual vs budget in the columns? Can a third-party report-writer produce this report from QBO?

You can export two reports to get the data you need, skwang300.

At this time, QBO can only generate a Profit and Loss report by class. Adding the budget vs. actuals is not an option yet. I'd suggest exporting these reports to and Excel spreadsheet. Then, manually combine the data there.

Here's how:

1. Click Reports on the left panel.
  2. Type Profit & Loss by Class or Budget vs. Actuals in the search box.
  3. From the report, click the Export icon in the upper right-hand corner.
  4. Select Export to Excel.

Feel free to send a feature request for this option to be added in QBO. Here's the link to our feedback site: https://feedback.qbo.intuit.com/.

I'll be around if you need anything else.

PTJ
Level 2

@SophiaAnnL - Is this option being worked on? Is QBO going to be allowing Budget vs Actuals by class? That would be very helpful. 

AlcaeusF

Hello PTJ,

I appreciate you for getting back t us regarding the report you need. Allow me to chime in and help provide additional information about what I know with the reports available in QuickBooks Online.

We're taking note of all the requests from you and other users in this public forum. Please also know our product developers are currently hands-on with the product improvements and updates needed for QuickBooks.

To stay current on all QuickBooks news and updates, I'd recommend you visit the QuickBooks Blog website. Any new features, options, or reports will be on this website.

You can click the direct link I'm adding on this: https://quickbooks.intuit.com/blog/.

Keep in touch with me here should you have any additional questions or concerns regarding the available reports. I want to make sure you're taken care of.

JImC50
Level 1

As much as Quickbooks Cost to operate, not having this option is IMHO inexcusable

Alessandra_B
QuickBooks Team

Hi there, @JImC50.

I personally want to make sure that your concern about reports gets addressed correctly. I also have a workaround to share so you can get the report you need.

In the meantime, you can export and combine your Profit & Loss report together with your Budget vs Actuals. This way, you can edit the column on the report and include the Budget vs Actuals data.

You may follow the steps provided by my colleague @SophiaAnnL above in exporting the report.

Don't worry, I'll let our engineers know of your suggestion regarding the customization of the Profit & Loss report in QuickBooks.

Please don't hesitate to tag me in your comment if you have any other concerns.

gordonrock
Level 1

How does this work as a work around when I can't print a budget by class, only in total?? I can print a p&l by class, obviously, but can't print the budget by class, only in the aggregate! (we need to be able to report budget vs actual by class - please have your folks get on this!!)

gordonrock
Level 1

This work-around option does NOTwork because I can't print the budget filtered by class, only in the aggregate. The report, actual vs budget with an option to filter by class, is critical to many, many users if their company has more than one department (and I assume many, many do). It needs to be made available as it is in the desktop version.

Adrian_A

Thanks for reaching this concern to us, gordonrock.

On your behalf, I will personally send this feature request to our development team. Additionally, you can visit our blog to check our new and updated QuickBooks feature.

You can check it through this link: https://quickbooks.intuit.com/blog/.

I'm always around if there's something you'd like to ask. Have a nice day!

debwf
Level 2

100% agree. We budget by product and department. This is useless if we cannot get our product budgets compared to actuals. Seems a very basic task for any company. Please add my voice to the need for this feature as it is definitely not a bell and whistle feature. It is critical.
Adrian_A

I'll add your name on the list of those who'd like this feature as well, debwf.

I already shared this feature request to our product development team.

You might as well check our blog for the latest release of QuickBooks features. Scroll up on this thread for the link of our blog.

If you still need my help, I'm just around. Thank you.

katerainbow
Level 1

Hello.  I need to run a budget vs actual report for a particular class.  Please can you advise whether this is now possible following the previous comments and requests on this thread?  Quickly being able to see the spend against budget for a particular class is the whole reason I need quickbooks!!!

JonpriL

Thank you for joining into this thread, @katerainbow!

You can pull up and customize your Budget vs. Actuals report so you can display only the amounts of your budget for a specific class. I'm here to help you accomplish this.

But please know that you can only filter your report for a certain class category if you've created a budget for your classes. Thus said, here's how you can customize your report:

1. Go to the Gear icon.
  2. Under Tools, select Budgeting.
  3. Find the budget you created for a particular class category.
  4. On the ACTION column, select the Edit menu.
  5. Select Run Budget vs. Actuals report.
  6. Click Customize.
  7. Under Filters, select Class.
  8. Select the class category you want to show on your report.
  9. Click Run report.

In addition, here's an article you can read to learn more about how you can customize your report: Customize your Reports in QuickBooks Online.

Lastly, I've also added this helpful article in case you want to save your customized report: How to Save Customized Reports?

If there's anything else that I can help[ you with, please let me know in the comments section down below. I'll be always around ready to help.

katerainbow
Level 1

Thanks JonpriL but pls could you clarify point 7. in your instructions?  Under filter I can only see 'Accounts' not 'Class'. I've attached a screen shot... Thanks!

Ryan_M

Hi @katerainbow,

Thank you for your prompt reply. I'm here to provide a reason as to why you don't see Class as part of the options under Filter.

I'm thinking this specific budget in question was created without the Subdivide by Class option. You'll have to recreate the budget with this option selected so you can have Class under Filter when you run the report.

Here's how:

1. From the Gear icon, select Budgeting.
  2. Enter a name for the budget, and make sure to select Class under the Subdivide by drop-down menu.
  3. When you're done, press Next, then Save and close.

At this point, you can continue to follow the steps provided by my colleague, @JonpriL above.

If you have any other questions, leave them in the comments below. I'll be sure to get back to you.

Need to get in touch?

Contact us