cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
tocleo
Level 2

Is there a way to import a .dmg or .qb2014 file into Quickbooks online?

I recently lost all data on my old desktop and had to buy a new one. With that came a new OS. I'm not able to use my QB2014 desktop software with this new OS. I'm hoping to use QB online, but it seems that the only way to import my data is thru CSV files. I don't have a way to open my QB2014 data to generate these files. Is there another way to import? It sounds like QB 2016 desktop also doesn't work with my OS (High Sierra). 

Solved
Best answer November 12, 2018

Best Answers
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there, tocleo,

I can add some information about importing your QuickBooks Desktop data to QuickBooks Online.

Since you're unable to access your QuickBooks 2014 file in High Sierra, we can use the QuickBooks Mac 2019 trial version to open your company file and extract your data for import. Here's where you can access the Mac 2019 trial link: QuickBooks Desktop Trial Links

Once downloaded, make sure it is updated to the latest release to avoid migration errors. To update QuickBooks Desktop for Mac, please see Update QuickBooks Desktop to the latest release.

To export your Mac file, please follow the steps below:

1. Open your company file and login as Admin.
  2. Go to the File menu.
  3. Select Export to QuickBooks Online.
  4. After the export, connect to your QuickBooks Online account using your userID and password.
  5. Click Sign In.
  6. Click OK, got it on the prompt.
  7. You'll get an email confirmation within 24 hours once the import is complete.

That's should get you back on track, tocleo. To know more about the conversion process, please check out this article: Convert QuickBooks Desktop for Mac file into QuickBooks Online

Please feel free to get me in the loop if you have any more questions about your QuickBooks file. I'm here to lend you a helping hand anytime.

View solution in original post

7 Comments 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there, tocleo,

I can add some information about importing your QuickBooks Desktop data to QuickBooks Online.

Since you're unable to access your QuickBooks 2014 file in High Sierra, we can use the QuickBooks Mac 2019 trial version to open your company file and extract your data for import. Here's where you can access the Mac 2019 trial link: QuickBooks Desktop Trial Links

Once downloaded, make sure it is updated to the latest release to avoid migration errors. To update QuickBooks Desktop for Mac, please see Update QuickBooks Desktop to the latest release.

To export your Mac file, please follow the steps below:

1. Open your company file and login as Admin.
  2. Go to the File menu.
  3. Select Export to QuickBooks Online.
  4. After the export, connect to your QuickBooks Online account using your userID and password.
  5. Click Sign In.
  6. Click OK, got it on the prompt.
  7. You'll get an email confirmation within 24 hours once the import is complete.

That's should get you back on track, tocleo. To know more about the conversion process, please check out this article: Convert QuickBooks Desktop for Mac file into QuickBooks Online

Please feel free to get me in the loop if you have any more questions about your QuickBooks file. I'm here to lend you a helping hand anytime.

tocleo
Level 2

Thank you so much. This got me into the online trial version- hooray!

Now, I'm wondering if I'm able to use a QB Self-employed Online account or do I need to use QB Pro online? I already have a business online account for my biz. I'm hoping to use this account for my personal finance tracking, but would prefer not to spend the Pro price. 

Thanks so much! 

Anonymous
Not applicable

Good day, tocleo,

I'm glad it all worked for you. Let me help you choose the right product for your personal finance tracking.

QuickBooks Self-Employed is an online software developed by Intuit for Independent Contractors and small businesses. This program allows you to track miles, income & expenses, record invoices and accept payments, and run reports on the go. To know more about QBSE pricing and features, you may check out this website: https://quickbooks.intuit.com/self-employed/

On the other hand, if you're referring to the QuickBooks Desktop Pro for Windows, it is an office-based software. The program tracks employees, clients, vendors, banking-related tasks, and taxes in a simple and automated way. You can check this link to know more about the complete software features: https://quickbooks.intuit.com/desktop/pro-compare/

If you're referring to a different product, please feel free to let me know. I'm here to guide you back on track. All the best!

tocleo
Level 2

I use QB online for my business already. I have bene using the QB 2014 desktop for MAC for tracking my personal finances for several years. This is the account that I just upgraded to QB 2019 and wanted to ultimately switch to QB online (for MAC). I don't need all the functions that I use for my business. Essentially I just use the categories and track W4 income and expenses. I don't have any invoices, or bills or such. When I tried to convert to online, I was prompted to purchase Quickbooks Plus (online) and wasn't given any other options- possibly because of the way my desktop version was set up? 

My question is: am I able to import a QB desktop account into QB Self-employed? I can't find this as an option. I don't want to spend $30/month for online for my personal books, so if SE is not an option, I will stick to Desktop 2019. 

Thanks!

AlcaeusF

I'm glad to see you here, tocleo.

I want to share some insights about importing information from QuickBooks Desktop.

The ability to automatically import data from the desktop version of QuickBooks to QuickBooks Self-Employed is currently unavailable. Since you're only tracking Income, Expenses and Categories, you'll need to manually enter the data.

You can visit this article for more information about the limitations:

QuickBooks Self-Employed: Import, export, and conversion limitations.

Please visit the website I've attached below to purchase a QuickBooks Self-Employed subscription:

https://quickbooks.intuit.com/self-employed

I'm here anytime you have questions with converting QuickBooks Desktop data. You can reach out to me by clicking the Reply button below.

MattSnowden
Level 1

My accountant just sent me a QB 2014 file. I don't have any version of QB on my machine, she handled all of our accounting up to this point. Is there a way to simply import a QB 2014 file into a brand new QB online account, without first installing QB on our local machine, importing the file, then pushing that into QB online? Seems like QB online should be able to ingest a downloaded QB file without needing to first go back into a local instance of QB that would be installed simply to upload to QB online. Thanks!

JaneD

Good day, MattSnowden.

Welcome to the Community. Let me provide a few details about importing QuickBooks Desktop (QBDT) file into the Online (QBO) version. 

I wouldn't suggest importing the QBDT file into QBO (vice versa) since these two programs have different interface. There are also limitations when converting the file to QBO. 

We currently offer a free trail to help decide, and you'll have full access to all the features for 30 days. Please know that when you convert the QBDT 2014 file will be converted or upgraded to a newer version. 

Here's the link for your reference: QBDT trial links.

Once done installing the software, restore the backup file by following these steps:

1. Go to the File menu and select Open or Restore Company.
  2. Select Restore a backup copy and click on Next.
  3. Choose Local Backup and select Next.
  4. From the Look In drop-down, choose the location of the backup file.
  5. Select the backup file from the folder. The file name should appear as [Company Name].qbb.
  6. Click on Open and select Next.
  7. From the Save in drop-down, choose the location where you want to save the restored file.
  8. In the File name field, type a new file name. (Note: The Save as type field will automatically populate QuickBooks Files (*.QBW).
  9. Click on Save. Then, follow the onscreen instructions.

For further guidance, you can check out this article that will help: Restore a backup of your company file.

That's it. This should help you point in the right direction. Let me know if you  have further questions. I'll be here to answer them. 

Need to get in touch?

Contact us