cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Community Explorer **
Solved

Mandatory Upgrade Letter

I received a letter stating QB will no longer support my POS 2013 and I needed to upgrade to POS 18. I do not want to upgrade but if I don't does this mean I can no longer process my credit card sales?

Best answer 04-03-2018 10:17 AM

Accepted Solutions
QuickBooks Team

Re: Mandatory Upgrade Letter

Hey there shopsweetgrass,

Thanks for joining us here in the Community. I'd like to offer my assistance regarding your current Point of Sale system and upgrading to the latest version.

In reference to your letter, QuickBooks Point of Sale 2013 has reached the end of its useful life and does require replacement at this time. This article provides information on features that will no longer be available if you do choose to continue using the 2013 version: https://community.intuit.com/articles/1697149-discontinuation-of-point-of-sale-2013-and-12-0.  Take a look at the section labeled "When does it happen and what does it mean?" and then click the blue link for Point of Sale 2013. You'll also find details on how to upgrade to Point of Sale 2018.

I wish you and your business continued success. I'm here if you have any other questions.

16 Comments
QuickBooks Team

Hey there shopsweetgrass,

Thanks for joining us here in the Community. I'd like to offer my assistance regarding your current Point of Sale system and upgrading to the latest version.

In reference to your letter, QuickBooks Point of Sale 2013 has reached the end of its useful life and does require replacement at this time. This article provides information on features that will no longer be available if you do choose to continue using the 2013 version: https://community.intuit.com/articles/1697149-discontinuation-of-point-of-sale-2013-and-12-0.  Take a look at the section labeled "When does it happen and what does it mean?" and then click the blue link for Point of Sale 2013. You'll also find details on how to upgrade to Point of Sale 2018.

I wish you and your business continued success. I'm here if you have any other questions.

Community Explorer **

Will my equipment still work with the upgrade or will I have to buy a new receipt printer, cashdrawer, scanner, and pinpad?

QuickBooks Team

I recommend speaking with a member of our Sales Team to confirm the compatibility of your equipment. The number to contact the Sales department is 1-844-344-3067. They'll be able to verify that the equipment you already have will work after upgrading your POS system.

Experienced Member

Thank you for the link.  The list of services that will be discontinued for POS2013 includes integrated payments.  Does this mean i will not be able to accept credit cards if I don't upgrade to POS2018?  

Also, I received this week and email with the statement below.  This seems to suggest I can use run credit cards as payment with my current POS2013 by paying a minimun of $16 per month.  Would this be in addition to the current monthly charge + the per transaction charge?

QuickBooks Point of Sale Payments Pricing
Pay As You Go price plans used with a discontinued version of software may incur a monthly minimum transaction fee of $16.00. To avoid a monthly minimum fee, please upgrade to the latest version of the software, QuickBooks Desktop Point of Sale 18.0.

I wish you would be more clear before this looming deadline where many of us small, small businesses are looking at cutting our small profits significantly because of these mandatory upgrades and fees.  SAD

Community Contributor **

CAN SOMEBODY GIVE A HONEST ANSWER TO THIS??

What will happen to all the small businesses that cannot afford to be FORCED to pay to upgrade the software from 2013 to 2018 (oh and you also have to upgrade quicbkooks too as 2012 isn't capatible.

ANSWER THIS FLAT OUT:  On the morning of June 1st, my first customer walks in and we try to process their credit card - what will my employees see/happen?  DECLINED?

Also please post Intuit's attorney contact information so I know who to contact with a lawsuit for putting us out of business for software we paid for.

Amazing Intuit is giving up on the thousands of dollars we gave them last years because we processed CC cards through them.

QuickBooks Team

Hello Danceman,

I can answer that question for you. It's not going to show as declined due to it not attempting to process. Your customer won't show anything on their side.

Our payments team can work with you on some options that you have available for processing here.

Let me know if you have more questions.

Community Contributor **

Hi Dwayne,

The link you provided gave me no answers.  It's how to contact Intuit, which is what I am doing right HERE.   WHAT options outside of being extorted to buy more software is there for me to process CC cards - I guess I can contact another company process it manually on their terminal and stay with my software.  What brain surgeon made this decision at Intuit?

So on June 1st, when we open, my Intuit Software which I paid for will be disconnected from my merchant account is what you are saying - I won't be able to log in and process a credit card, basically putting me out of business.  My privately owned mom and pop business which we use to buy food and pay our mortage with and put shoes on our kids feet?  Is that what you are saying?  Does anyone there understand how serious this is?

I need Intuits attorney's information asap Dwayne, please, as the company you work for is putting me out of business in two weeks.  You did not provide that information.    I AM RUNNING OUT OF TIME.

I paid Intuit for this software - I didn't rent it.  I do not expect "support" to answer questions on it operationally any longer, but I expect it to work as promised, in the Inuit system, a mere 5 years after I paid for it and all the Intuit hardware to boot.

I paid Intuit last year:

Approx $1,300 to Payroll Processing

Approx $12,300 in CC fees

They stand to lose that yearly income, so they can MAKE ME buy another $1,500 of software?   Please do not direct me to your "Sales upgrade team" who I have spoken too and who said I WON'T BE disconnect but I COULD BE, or I COULD EXPERIENCE PROBLEMS.  The poor girl understood how serious this is.  Comes back after speaking to somebody and now says I only have to pay a lower amount.

What is Intuit's attorney information, as they are liable for putting me out of business.

Established Community Backer ***

I am sorry, but, at some point you were making enough money that you thought you needed Point of Sale IN ADDITION to QuickBooks when QuickBooks alone can handle almost any retail transaction without add-ons. I was small potatoes for 20 years, only 3 million in sales annually but did it all with Pro/Premier and multi-user access for second sales terminal. (sure, avg ticket was $20k)

This is not much different than microsoft no longer supports XP or Vista and due to the unsecure status of those and earlier versions one would be foolish to connect to the internet today with either. 

Maybe I have been doing this too long but payroll is simple, ogging in to eftps onyour own is simple, logging in to your own state website is simple, WHY would anyone spend twice as much a year on payroll? (desktop enhanced has gone up but still around $600, not $1500.  Can you pay existng staff to cover that $900? Maybe, maybe not. 

Consider this as well, if you are only now for POS2013 being required to upgrade or jump ship that is 2 years longer use you go out of it than regular desktop users.

I paid Intuit for this software - I didn't rent it.

You mmight think so but I believe a full review of the EULA would say different. You use it under license. You cannot even give it to another individual. Just like digital books from kindle or nook, you do not "own" those either

Community Contributor **

Comparison to Vista and XP IS WAY OFF john-pero - Microsoft never contacted me and said "we are shutting off your laptop if you do not upgrade" or better comparison "shutting off your ability to connect to the internet if you don't upgrade".  I have a laptop that due to just speed issues I don't use anymore, but if I turned it on, I bet XP would run just great and connect me to the internet.  I don't NEED support or updates- I know the software and it's glitches better then they do.  In 13 years I have had ONE fraudulent use of a CC card - ONE - I will take 100% responsibility of any fraud.  There is NO REASON to update, but now they are cutting off credit cards.

What does my using a payroll service have to do with ANYTHING here?  If you enjoy filing all your tax information, quarterly reports, etc - have at it.  Some people use payroll services - sheesh!

There is NOTHING in EULA (did you look?) that says "we will disconnect a portion of the software from time to time to force you to update".   I  PAID FOR A LICENSE TO USE IT INDEFINATELY.  They have NEVER done this before in 13 years of using it - cutting off capabilty of a portion of the software - they most important part when 90% of sales are CC cards.  They are using THE BANK to shut me off.  Stopping all funding or capability to process a credit card.  I paid for updates along the way, when it was MY DECISION, if I thought the newer software had features we could use - this update has NOTHING in it useful from what 2013 does.

I am still waiting Dwayne - where is Intuit's attorney information?

QuickBooks Team

Hello danceman,

Thank you for reaching out about your concerns. I have a link with the legal information you requested here: https://www.intuit.com/legal/ . Let me know if you need anything else.

Community Explorer **

I paid for the upgraded version. I received the exact same pinpad that I'm currently using. A week later I had to ask and wait for the link to upgrade (which I paid for). I also was not given the license and product numbers of the 18.0 (which I paid for). 

Not impressed so far...maybe I should have switched to a competitor?

QuickBooks Team

Hi there shopsweetgrass,

You mentioned that you hadn't received your license and product number for your upgrade. I want to get you and your business back up and running. Do you mind sending me a PM with your email, so I can look up your account and email you that info?

Community Contributor **

Clay,

The link you provided has no contact information to Intuit's legal representatives.  It has copyright violation email, patent and trademark information, which this is not that.  For all other inquires, it says to contact YOU, support.

I need to know the contact information for the lawfirm that represents Intuit, ie. Swartz, Riley and O'Neil, Attorney's at Law, [removed] - something like that.  Whomever will be billing Intuit $350 per hour while I'm talking to them.

Please advise asap.

Experienced Member

I feel for you. This is definitely a racket. Their forced upgrades always provide minimal improvements as best and at times remove functionality.  We are looking into switching to a different company.  

You compare this to Microsoft upgrades...and yet they gave away the Windows upgrade for free.  Yes, they required you to do it but it was free.

Highlighted
Experienced Member

Yes Quick book please do , I have been a loyal user of quicken and quickbooks since the first version , I will not be forced to pay for a new version  so that I can continue  to use features I have all ready paid for  that are  vital to the function of the software I have already PAID for  .  You will lose many of your customers because of this  move.  and frankly I hope some of them sue the pants off the executives who came up with this plan to squeeze their  customer base  . So pleas publish  your lawyers contact info , and get prepared for  your dumb moves to  spread all over the net , because  come April 1 2019  when the software stops working , your butt is grass and the customers are the lawnmower.