cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Established Member
Solved

QB Crashes after Switching Company Files

On windows 10. I have about 5+ company files with multi-user quickbooks 2017 Desktop Pro.

Not sure if this is a windows 10 problem, but I do have 5 other computers that use windows 7 that doesn't have this problem. Only my 2 windows 10 computers are having this problem.

I open quickbooks, open a company file, when finished I open another company file right away and then it loads, once it loads it the program completely closes and I have to reload QB. 

Any idea?

Best answer 06-14-2018 09:07 AM

Accepted Solutions
WB8
Frequent Explorer *

Re: QB Crashes after Switching Company Files

Hi everyone.  This problem has a simple work around...  It's been addressed here:

https://qbcommunity.com/t5/Questions-about-QuickBooks/Quickbooks-Pro-2016-shutting-down-when-switchi...

Or more simply explained:

Re: Quickbooks Pro 2016 shutting down when switching between companies

THIS RIGHT HERE!!!  I've experimented and alas, @sclossick and @JASharf are correct.  If you do NOT touch anything after you type in your password, it opens with no problems.  I use two monitors and even touching the other monitor with the mouse, kills Quickbooks when it's opening. Quickbooks HAS to be the active window and remain the active window until it's opened.  Yes, it's a work around, but one that I'm happy to use. I sit back, put my feet up, sip on some coffee and poof, I can work again without restarting.  Thanks you guys!

@sclossick wrote:

I was just able to open up 2 of my other companies without a problem, as long as I kept QuickBooks as the active window, but trying another company, I switched to this browser window while the company file tried to load, and it shut down.

@JASharf wrote:

@ClayJ and everyone else.  Someone gave a workaround previously that stated as long as you keep the QB window on top and not touch or open any other windows while logging in, the program will not close.  I previously wrote that it did not work for me.  I now realized why.  You cannot touch ANY other window from the MOMENT you click file/open previous company/...  From that moment on, until you are logged in and the new company is fully opened (and you see the program didn't close), do not touch ANY other window.  I go as far as not even touching my mouse from when I click the "OK" button to log in (on the window with the user name and password).  If you keep QB open as your top window and do not touch or open any other windows during the entire process of switching companies, the program will NOT close.

32 Comments
QuickBooks Team

Hi there, faydagroup.

Welcome to the QuickBooks Community. It's my priority to get this issue straighten out.

The program does not start or just partially appears due to a number of technical issues. Rebooting your computer may resolve this.

Opening QuickBooks multiple times may prevent it from opening successfully. Allow QuickBooks sufficient time to load before continuing.

Let's start troubleshooting by closing the QBW32.exe process. Sometimes the process that runs get stuck in the background, you'll need to end it and reopen the program.

Here's how:

1.    Right-click the Windows task bar and select Start Task Manager.
2.    Click the Processes tab and click the Name header to sort the processes alphabetically.
3.    Locate and select QBW32.EXE and click End Process.

You may take a look at this article for additional information: QuickBooks Desktop Does Not Start.

Now, restart your computer and open QuickBooks to check if that works. If you’re still unable to open QuickBooks, I recommend performing the troubleshooting steps for Windows operating system.

Since this is not an Intuit product, it'd be best to consult with your computer's manufacturer or an IT professional before performing the steps. You may check out this link for additional information: https://community.intuit.com/articles/1729573.

Keep me updated on what the results are. I'm here to find another way out if you continue to experience the same issue. Have a good one!

Senior Explorer ***

I have been having this same problem! Started a new job last week that involves tracking the books for four separate entities. I close one company, then enter the login and password as prompted and then QB closes itself. If I re-open and go from there it works fine, but it would be really nice to just be able to open a new company without that hassle.

I've used QB in this manner in the past, never had it crash though.

That would have been with a prior version of Windows, could this be a Windows 10 issue?

Having to reboot my computer every time I switch companies shouldn't be necessary. I'll try the Task Manager suggestion, and would also like to see Intuit look into it. Glad to see it's not just me.

Established Community Backer ***

See this pinned article https://qbcommunity.com/t5/Questions-about-QuickBooks/Win10-update-1803/m-p/164901#M16457

If your Win 10 updated after 5/23 you may have the update that causes problems with multi-user in QB 2017 and 2018 

Check your system updates by clicking on the settings gear/star icon in the start menu of windows click on Update and Security, right side Related Links click on OS Build Info. If it says "17134.81" you have the problem update. 

You can roll back the update to see if that helps or you may need to manually install the June 5 correction as it may not show up automatically yet.  The newest update that corrects the issue will read 17134.83 hope this helps

And since it appears to be an issue with a Windows update then, unless Intuit transmitted bad intel to microsoft prior to the update then the problem may have been 100% on the shoulders of Bill Gates et al

Established Member

It is not a one time thing. I restarted my computer multiple times already. It happens every time quickbooks is opened. This just started happening 2 days ago, I didn't have this problem for the past 10 months I've been using 2017 desktop pro. 

Established Member

John,

That is definitely the problem then. My quickbook files are located locally on the computer that has that exact number update. My computer I chose not to update and is still running on 16.something. Its definitely the update causing it. Thank you for your input.

Senior Explorer ***

Should this be an issue when not in Multi-User mode? I'll assume my Windows has updated itself in the last couple weeks. I don't see the Related Links item, and searching OS Build returned with nothing so can't say for sure.

My QB companies all just have one Admin user. I just had a company open correctly and then QB closed on its own for no apparent reason (usually it just closes instead of opening the new company). Restarting the computer every time I switch between the 6 QB companies on my Desktop is just not feasible.

QuickBooks Team

Hey ekileen.

Thanks for reaching out here in the Community. I'd like to provide some additional assistance so your account won't crash anymore.

There are a few potential reasons why QuickBooks continually crashes when switching from one company file to another. Some of these reasons may include corruption, damaged Windows operating system, or damaged program files or QBDT installation.

I've got an article for you that provides several options to get this resolved. You can check it out here: https://community.intuit.com/articles/1460106-quickbooks-won-t-open-or-has-stopped-working-or-quickb....

If the problem persists, you may want to reach out to a member of our Desktop Support Team. Agents have the necessary tools, like screen-sharing, to work alongside you and locate what's causing the system to crash. The number to speak with an agent is 1-877-797-5809. The most up-to-date contact information can be found here: https://help.quickbooks.intuit.com/en_US/contact.

This should get you back up and running. Feel free to reach out to me if you have any other questions.

Frequent Explorer *

I am using Premier Edition 2017 in single user mode on Windows 7 Pro 64-bit Operating System.  I have 15 businesses.   When opening QB in the morning, it opens fine.  However, when opening a 'previous business', QB will open completely but before I can do anything, it will close.  I have tried rebooting many times.  I have tried the task manager and closing the .EXE file for QB and rebooting.  I have tried rebuilding the file.  I am ready to restore back to a different version but really feel that with this many problems QB should be providing an update to fix this!  

QuickBooks Team

Hello, ZeppaGirl.

Thanks for letting me know how you've been affected, as well as steps you've taken toward resolution.

Since there hasn't been any change after trying the steps listed above, I recommend calling in to speak with a Desktop Support Agent. An agent can initiate a screen-share with you to investigate what's causing the system to continually crash. Additionally, if there's an open case concerning this issue, your company will need to be added so you'll then receive email notifications regarding the fix.

The number to speak with an agent is 1-877-797-5809. This link will direct you to the most up-to-date contact information: https://help.quickbooks.intuit.com/en_US/contact.

I hope this gets you back to business ASAP. I'm here if you have any other questions.

WB8
Frequent Explorer *

Hi everyone.  This problem has a simple work around...  It's been addressed here:

https://qbcommunity.com/t5/Questions-about-QuickBooks/Quickbooks-Pro-2016-shutting-down-when-switchi...

Or more simply explained:

Re: Quickbooks Pro 2016 shutting down when switching between companies

THIS RIGHT HERE!!!  I've experimented and alas, @sclossick and @JASharf are correct.  If you do NOT touch anything after you type in your password, it opens with no problems.  I use two monitors and even touching the other monitor with the mouse, kills Quickbooks when it's opening. Quickbooks HAS to be the active window and remain the active window until it's opened.  Yes, it's a work around, but one that I'm happy to use. I sit back, put my feet up, sip on some coffee and poof, I can work again without restarting.  Thanks you guys!

@sclossick wrote:

I was just able to open up 2 of my other companies without a problem, as long as I kept QuickBooks as the active window, but trying another company, I switched to this browser window while the company file tried to load, and it shut down.

@JASharf wrote:

@ClayJ and everyone else.  Someone gave a workaround previously that stated as long as you keep the QB window on top and not touch or open any other windows while logging in, the program will not close.  I previously wrote that it did not work for me.  I now realized why.  You cannot touch ANY other window from the MOMENT you click file/open previous company/...  From that moment on, until you are logged in and the new company is fully opened (and you see the program didn't close), do not touch ANY other window.  I go as far as not even touching my mouse from when I click the "OK" button to log in (on the window with the user name and password).  If you keep QB open as your top window and do not touch or open any other windows during the entire process of switching companies, the program will NOT close.

Established Member

Yep same issue here for the last 2 weeks +/-. I was informed last week that Windows can no longer update until I uninstall Quick books. Windows says that QB 2017 is no longer compatible with Windows 10 and I must either uninstall it or wait for QB to do an update. This is most definitely a QB compatibility issue. So until QBs is updated I am in a holding pattern with no more Windows Updates and constant QB closing itself without warning.

I have been dealing with the crashes for a few weeks too!  It does work, as long as you don't touch any other screen on the computer, but we need an update now.  I switch company files all day long and it is very annoying!

Senior Explorer **

Sssssssooooooooo we aren't supposed to keep working while QuickBooks decides NOT to shut down while switching company files?   That is not a work-around.  I can't sit on my hands and do nothing 20 times a day while QB decides whether to close down or not.  I have work to do on both my spreadsheets and my email.  I am BUSY.  While I appreciate those of you that have found this work-around to be helpful to you I simply don't have time for this.  Is Intuit even working on it?  I would appreciate an update from Intuit on what they are doing to correct this and how much longer it is going to take.

Highlighted
QuickBooks Team

Hey there, @KS56.

Thank you for taking the time to post here in the Community. Allow me to bring you up to date on what's going on. Over the last few weeks, I have been taking in data and providing it to the engineers and the Product Development team. At this time, they are still working to resolve this issue. I know the workarounds that I mentioned in my last post won't work for everyone.

I wanted to clear up something on one of the workarounds I mentioned. The option that references closing out of the file and then switching to the next file from the "No Company File Open" screen; you can continue to use your computer while QuickBooks closes the file. For things like checking your email and navigating through your computer, you can do this with that option. It will, however, slow down switching between companies. I hope this information helps shed some light on these workarounds.

If you have any questions for me about this, or anything else, don't hesitate to ask, KS56. Also, as updates come about, I will be posting them here in the thread. Thank you all again for your patience.

Frequent Explorer *

Do you have any idea how much time that takes?  Closing QB's and reopening is just as time consuming as waiting.  

How do I go back to an older version?

QuickBooks Team

Hello, ZeppaGirl.

Thanks for looping in. Let me share what I know about the issue of switching company files in QuickBooks Desktop.

As much as I would like to provide you a specific time frame for when this issue will be resolved, we haven’t received any updates yet.

In the meantime, you can try using these options in opening a company file:
Option 1:

1.    Go the File menu at the top.
2.    Click Open or Restore Company...

Option 2:

1.    Go to the File menu at the top.
2.    Click Close Company.
3.    From the No Company Open screen, select a company name.
4.    Click Open.

Or you can use the 3rd option which is:

1.    Go to the File menu.
2.    Click Open Previous Company.
3.    Select a company file.

Note: Do not touch anything after you type in your password when prompted.

The option to open the updated company file in the previous version of QuickBooks is not possible. What you can do is use the backup that was created when you updated your company file for the newer version.

QuickBooks created the backup, in case you need to revert to the older version. Restore the backup to your older version of QuickBooks. Or, if you need to restart the update, you can restore the backup to your new version of QuickBooks.

Feel free to reach out to me if there's anything else you need. I'll be here to help. Have a good one!

Frequent Contributor *

Oh good god, thank you for this work around of not clicking on anything while changing files.  I change client files all day long in QB 2017...this was really making me crazy (and angry...come on Intuit!!).  Thank you!!  Brilliant!

It's obviously not specific to Windows 10. I have Windows 7 Professional, and have had the same problem for the past few months. Neither the computer nor the version of QuickBooks has changed. It's extremely frustrating.

QuickBooks Team

Hello there, KimatMVCC.

Let me make sure this is properly addressed for you.

I've checked with our Support Team to see if there are any updates for this ongoing issue and there are no updates yet. As of the moment, there isn’t a specific time-frame as to when the issue will be resolved. You can follow the workaround provided by @WB8 for the meantime.

Also, I'd suggest you contact our QuickBooks Customer Care Team so they can add you to our notification list. Once you're added, we can immediately notify you once the issue has been fixed and provide you the resolution.  Here's how to reach them: 

1. Go to https://help.quickbooks.intuit.com/en_US/contactus.

2. Select your QuickBooks product.

3. Select a topic.

4. Click the Get Phone Number button to see the support number.

Thank you for your patience while we work to resolve this issue for you.​

Experienced Member

I have a client that is having this exact same issue with multiple users.  Can anyone tell me if the 2018 version corrected this issue?  Thanks

QuickBooks Team

Hey there, @french44.

Welcome to the QuickBooks Community. I wanted to let you know the engineers are still working to resolve this. More than likely, this will be fixed in a coming update. What I ask from you at this time is to stay tuned to this thread as once information comes about in regards to a fix, I will be sharing it here with all of you. I appreciate your patience in this matter. I hope to have news for you shortly.

Experienced Member

Thank you for this information... this has been driving me crazy since it started sometime in June.  At first I thought it was a fluke, because I don't always work on more than one company file in the same day, so I wasn't switching between companies. Then the past couple of weeks I've been working in both company files daily and every time I switched it would open the company file and then immediately shut down.  Today, I finally googled the problem and thankfully found this community board with the work arounds.

Although I tried the 3rd option where you don't touch anything after you type in your password, it still shut down.  I am going to try the other two options and hopefully one of those will be successful. 

Also as suggested, I have called Intuit phone support and was added to the list of affected users.  Hopefully if enough of us do that, they might prioritize fixing this problem. 

Thank you for this information. 

Experienced Member

Update:  Option 2 works best for me... no problems.  Thank you for the workaround. 

QuickBooks Team

Thanks for reaching out to the Community, @kdejsus.

I'm happy the second option worked for you. 

If you have any more issues with QB shutting down, don't hesitate to reach out. ​​​​​​​