cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Senior Explorer **

SHOCKED &UPSET at the Price Increase Announcement

I am a big believer in investing in technology to make our lives easier and I was excited about the potential of QBO. We made the leap and although I do love some of the features that were promised, the current iteration falls short in so many ways and still has a long way to go to be efficient. Also, for those of us that have just been transitioning to the QBO version, the learning curve and constant setbacks in data descrepencies and other unexpected issues in migrating has cost the company tons of money and man hours in resolving the issues. I hope Intuit will consider this fact. I already asked my company to take a leap of faith in investing in QBO with the promise that the efficiency would compensate for the monthly fee. That is well-short of happening still and it is far too soon to DEMAND another increase, especially such a large percentage. If anyone has the accurate informatin on the amount and times of increases, I would be interested in seeing that in the interest of transparency. It looks like there was one jsut 4 months ago in October. I can't imagine someone who has any genuine understanding or connection with actual user clients of QBO advising that this kind of hike would be a great idea. Here's how the company will make more profit: Stabilize your product, get your existing clients comfortable and stable and we will sell it for you, just like we did with the desktop version.

62 Comments
Established Community Backer ***

Re: SHOCKED &UPSET at the Price Increase Announcement

This would be the 4th subscription price increase since Sept 2016 then, I have not received that notice, would you post the new subscription prices?

QuickBooks Team

Hello all,

I appreciate you reaching out to us here in the Community.

Here at Intuit, we certainly did not take this decision lightly and recognize the impact it has on our customers. We believe that, in order to maintain the level of quality as well as support of our products, this change was necessary.

Just like any other business, we're constantly evaluating what it costs to deliver a top-tier product – each year – and to provide the level of support that customers like you have come to expect.

The following article for you that outlines the most recent increase for March 2018: https://community.intuit.com/articles/1656746-quickbooks-online-price-increase-march-2018.

Additionally, if you'd like to review new features, you can find them in the QuickBooks Blog: https://quickbooks.intuit.com/blog/whats-new/.

Thank you for being a member of the QuickBooks family. Please let me know if you have any other questions.

@MorganB That article does not disclose the new pricing. ALl it does is imply that the price increases to list back in July of 2017 ($15-$35-$50) would NOT go into effect for existing subscribers until March 2018. I know search on the QB sites is horrendous but I cannot even find on google a newer price than $50 for Plus and if this statement is true

For existing customers these changes are not effective until March 2018

I have clients deserving of a refund since they have been charged $50 since  August 2017

QuickBooks Team

Hey john-pero,

Thank you for your input. I don't have a current list for the new pricing, but you'll be notified soon.

I'm unable to access customer billing information in Community but if you have any questions about billing, one of our QuickBooks Online support members would be glad to answer them for you. The number to reach them is 855-348-9671, listed in the previous article. An agent has the necessary tools to look into your account to check on the billing status and see what options are available.

I'll be around if there's anything else I can help with.

Community Explorer *

It feels like we were lured off a perfectly good desktop product and are now being gouged.

- 2016: $17.99/mo

- 2017: $36.00/mo

- 2018: $50.00/mo

That's a 180% increase over two years for a product that still isn't as rich in features as the desktop.  I run two companies on QBO so my anual cost has gone from $430 to $1200.  The desktop version allowed me to run two companies under one license. 

This all makes it worth looking at the competition and going thru the pain of conversion.

I was a fan of Intuit, but this really feels like you are taking advantage.

QuickBooks Team

Hi there TonyB,

I appreciate your follow-up.

I don't want you to feel misled. We recognize that a price change like this can be difficult for business owners and that, just like us, you have to evaluate the value that each of the products and services you pay for are bringing to your business.

@TonyB there is nothing stopping you from being lured back to QB Desktop. The conversion from QBO to QBDT will be less painful than conversion to anything else.

And if the $50 price is the increase everyone is upset about this price was effective back last July for August billings. 

Community Contributor *

I was beyond pissed when I just got the email. You guys got to be f***ing kidding me. This is the 3rd increase in the last year or so. It's like a 200% increase. WTF is that? 

I have 3 companies using QBO. I think it's shameful what you are doing honestly, you just keep raising prices whenever you want, and you keep doing it. Yes, things go up in price. Maybe a price hike every 2 years or something I can get on board with. But this is just ridiculous now. 

I'd be interested in knowing what other software I can transition to if anyone wants to post.

Senior Explorer **

Chuck, someone suggested downgrading. Since we feel we are trapped by the fact that moving back to the desktop does not even seem like a safe possiblity and we've already invested tons of hours in migrating, we're looking into forgoing some of the features that made it really useful just to buy us some time to figure out what to do next, but you are spot on--we all expect rate hikes, but 4 hikes and nearly 200% increase in a year is flat out robbery. It's the definition of Bait and Switch and it's the best way to lose the trust of the customers. It feels like the contractor is asking for an advance to buy the tools he needs to repair my house.  I was initially apprehensive about taking on a recurringmonthly fee after using the desktop for so many years, but now I'm just devastated and have lost all faith that the company will respect any boundaries on fees. Now, I'm tempted to just rebuild our financial profile starting this year on the desktop version so I can return to a secure place where they can't rate-hike us to death. I think they need to offer discounts for simple businesses and for people with multiple accounts. Someone else also suggested looking into an accountant to manage your books.  For what you will be paying per year, you could likely hire an accountant for the same or less and just give access to your bookkeeper. Good luck & keep me updated on any creative solutions!

Experienced Member

I too have gone from a fan to pissed off. I now wish I never refered 3 of my friends to Intuit.

Intuit have raised your prices too far now!

I plan on writing about this as much as I can on the web.

Intuit get your **bleep** together!

Experienced Member

I have used Intuit QB for ten years.  The proposed increase to renew is at 58%.  MORE THAN DOUBLE what I pay now.  There is no incentive for my company to stay.  When speaking with the sales reps all I get is lip about  QB 'staying up' with the competition.  Hey!  How about trying to keep customers.  But if I were a new customer I would get a sweet deal.  What a crock!  An incredible demonstration of bait and switch.

Established Member

I just spent over an hour on the phone, waiting for your customer service rep, Nikki, to get back to me regarding the ridiculous increase that we have been hit with on 4 of the 7 companies that we currently have on Quickbooks Online Plus.  This is the SECOND time I have called in the last few days - that time was 46 minutes with a promise to call me back after speaking to billing.  While speaking with Nikki, she said that the first person, Myra, did NOT contact billing - I guess that's why she never called me back as promised.  Not only is your customer service extremely poor, they repeat a lot and speak in circles and, because of their heavy accents, are very hard to understand.  The second rep, Nikki, tried to tell me that the increase had to do with when the subscription started.  However, one of the subscriptions being increased to $540 was started less than a month after two of the non-increasing subscriptions.... in 2008!  There does not seem to be any consistency or honesty in any of the stories we are being fed.  We do not do business this way and are very disappointed that a company of Quickbooks caliber, with whom we have done business for over 10 years, would sink to this level.

Per most of the forums, the increases vary significantly but seem to be topping out at $540.00 for QB Online Plus.  The only reason we have Plus on these companies is because we need 1099 tracking and Quickbooks does not offer an in-between, lower priced alternative, though I have been advised twice in the last 3 months that one is coming... right!  We only seriously need Plus on one of the companies, not all 7, but are stuck.  Most of the work done in these companies is A/P, A/R and Financial Reports... pretty basic.  Only one company has invoicing tied to A/R.  It is very, very difficult to justify paying $540.00 per year for a company for this minimal service.

I am beginning to see more and more conversations regarding extreme dissatisfaction from Quickbook customers due to the extreme increase in price along with bells and whistles added that often don't work.  Looks like smoke and mirrors to us and, while I don't like the problems of setting up all this booking in another software 1/3 of the way through the year, I really don't like being yanked around and lied to by your customer service reps even more.  

Established Member

Yep, smoke and mirrors.  We have also been loyal Quickbooks customers for over 10 years and are now reconsidering our commitment since, clearly QB is not committed to us.  We actually had one of the 7 companies we have with QB Online Plus hit with an increase that almost doubled the cost!  Two long phone calls (46 minutes and 1:02:54) with the "Customer Service Reps" later, no resolution and I was left on terminal hold with the last one after she promised to get back to me withing 5 minutes.  Apparently, her strategy was to leave me on hold until I hung up.  No one has called back, followed up or given us a straight answer.

One of your invited accountants should be able to offer you a Pro Advisor discount on all your companies if billed through them. They pay, dare I say half price currently and if you pay them enough for tax returns on 7 companies they might not even upcharge teh $25/company it would cost them. Still $300/year per company is all the more reason to use QB Desktop instead at $200/ 3 years before needing to upgrade - that works out to less than $10/company/year. The over $4000 per year in savings (at list of $50/month) certainly could buy and maintain your very own server for remote access if that is the reason you are sticking with QBO

42% increase, really?  Went from $35/mo to $50/mo for the same features.  This caused me to downgrade.  I lost some features I could live without, and now paying $30/mo.  Your ridiculous increase caused you to actually get LESS money from me.  Congrats.  Had your increase been 5% or even 10%, it wouldn't be an issue.  Now you've pissed off a lot of users, and are getting less $$$ from users like me.  Way to go. 

Community Contributor *

I totally agree with you. I was at the $17 rate too, and for it nearly triple over couple years is distubing. Deposit times havegotten worse as well. 5 days is no longer acceptable 

Senior Explorer **

I downgraded as well on my business account from $30 to $15 to keep expenses down and had to forego features we've used for years (that cost them nothing to provide) like billing losing access to all our bill info that we've entered in the past, but i couldn't downgrade the business I do bookeeping for and now I feel like I've screwed them by convincing them to move to QBO. It has made me look really bad. I agree with you--a small increase would be understandable, but this big jump is sickening. 

Since I last posted the price for Plus has jumped $10 And is now $60/ month, wholesale billing $30. That is a 20% increase over the last price of $50 which was in place only about a year. 20% . $120/year Improved functionality is not worth that much. 

Experienced Member

I just received a notice yesterday that there will be another $10 + tax monthly increase on 11/1/18.  That brings the annual cost of QBO, with tax to $765.  It is outrageous.  I started selling QBO to clients at $15/mo.  I was told that was for the life of the company.  Then the increases started, every year.  I was able to fight the increases for two years because I was told it was for the life of the company.  I was subsequently told and I quote "sales people will do whatever it takes to get the sale" and that it was "misrepresented".  Where does this increase end.  I would never have encouraged my clients to switch from desktop if I had known it would be $765/year.  My job is to help keep costs down.  In addition, I have had more trouble with the banking links this year than ever before.  

The "two highly requested features we recently launched are Projects and Progress Invoicing."are the reasons for the increase.  Neither of these will help my 10 clients.  

I guess it's time to look elsewhere.  Which, oh by the way one of my clients decided which I shared with my Intuit rep.  His response "Good luck to them.  We have 80% of the market for a reason". Thanks for the help and support in my business Intuit.  I'm losing clients and you don't seem to care.

Kathleen Campbell

[email address removed]

Typically if you subscribe to any Intuit add on services or if you use banking down loads in QBDT, you have to buy a new version every three years. Intuit shuts those abilities off so  if you want to continue using them - you have to purchase a new version.

For comparison, I am going to use a three year period,  between QBDT Pro, and Premier against QBO Simple Start, Essentials and Plus.

..............................Monthly ...... Annually ..... 3 Years

Simple Start ..........$20 ..............$240 .............$720

Essentials ............. $35 ..............$420 ............ $1,260

Plus ....................... $60 ............. $720 ..... .......$2,160

QBDT Pro ..........................................................$199

QBDT Premier ................................................. $319

Experienced Member

Like everyone else, I'm NOT happy.  Yeah I know prices go up ... BUT Enterprise Gold Edition went from $384 ($415.68 with tax) to $498 ($539.09 with tax)  =  $123.41 increase per month = $1,480.92 annual.  That's just crazy!  We've used QB since the 90's and Intuit knows how difficult it is for companies to change their accounting programs so we're stuck paying it.  

Community Explorer *

I'm officially jumping ship.. Worst set of price increases in a short amount of time. My small business cannot afford this and I do not appreciate the way they've handled this. Goodbye intuit - 

Experienced Member

Yep, last price hike for me. Going to a different tax service as well (they went up here too).

Bye-Bye!

Experienced Member

Done. The only way to show Intuit that the market will not bear the price increase is to not bear it.

There are competitors, they are cheaper, and for someone that is using Quickbooks for bookkeeping only (no inventory, no sales, etc.) the cost is just too much.

Double bonus, the last increase went into effect in March. Now the new one in July. 

I have nothing but expletives for this increase. Thanks for making my decision to leave so easy.