cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Transfer QB Pro software to new computer

Ok, I am completely exasperated!  I bought a new computer.  I need to move my software and data over to the new computer.  I realize how to move the data from all my company files from old to new (using backup and restore), but for the life of me I can't find out how to install the QB Pro2018 Desktop software on my new machine.  Yes, I have license and product numbers.  But all I seem to get to when looking up any directions is the page that wants me to purchase a new product (which of course I don't want to do because I've already purchased it); or if I click one of the links in the instructions I see, I get a this page is no longer available?  Help!  should be an easy process, but so far no so much!! 

3 Comments
Established Community Backer *

Re: Transfer QB Pro software to new computer

hi @ VKoehl ,

Please click your menu and find File > Utilities > Move QuickBooks to another computer. Hope it work well.

Thanks!  I've tried this now three different times, being very careful with all and noting and using correct one time password and it keeps telling me "Something's not quite right. Try Again Later"??? HELP. . . . 

QuickBooks Team

Welcome to our forums, @VKoehl,

It's nice seeing you here today. I can provide the steps for you to successfully install QuickBooks on your new computer.

To download the program manually on your new computer, follow the steps below:

1. Go to the Downloads & Updates page to get the download link.
  2. Enter your CountryProduct and Version.
  3. Click the Search button.
  4. Tap the Download button.
  5. Once the download is complete, the installation will automatically start. If it doesn't, double click the installer file to proceed.
  6. Select Yes to All the hit Next.
  7. Mark the Software License Agreement then click Next.
  8. Enter the License and Product numbers, then hit Next.
  9. Pick the type of installation you want.
  10. Choose where you want to save QuickBooks.
  11. Pick a new install location or select Next to install to the default directory.
  12. Click Install.

You can also try the steps provided by Fiat Lux to use the Migrator Tool. Here's how you can do that:

On the old computer:

1. Go to the File menu.
  2. Choose Utilities then click Move QuickBooks to another computer.
  3. Tap on I'm Ready, then create a one-time password.
  4. Choose the USB flash drive you will use, then wait until all filed are copied.

On the new computer:

1. Insert the USB flash drive.
  2. Wait for the Move QuickBooks tool, or run Move_QuickBooks.bat file from your flash drive.
  3. Enter the password you created, then select Let's go.
  4. Wait for the process to complete.

Please note that the duration of the migration will depend on the speed of your computer and internet, and the size of your company file. You can get the steps here: Move to or reinstall QuickBooks Desktop in another computer

I'm including these resources to help you with the installation process:

That should get your work done today, @VKoehl. Please update me if you have any questions with the steps. I'll be more than happy to help whenever you need one. Have a great day!