cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Community Contributor *
Solved

Upgrade to QuickBooks Pro 2018 not without problems

Well it seems that QuickBooks Pro Desktop 2018 has issues when upgrading from QB 2016

First of all when upgrading to 2018 an error message 'QuickBooks could not update your company file' appears. One of the problems is that QB 2018 replaced your old QB app and you need that old 2016 version to take a fresh backup in the downlevel version. You can not just use a copy of the QB file, you actually need to do a Back-Up in 2016 first.

Once that is completed you can 'restore' the back up in 2018, convert the file to the new version and you'll be up and running.

So keep an old instance of QB 2016 on hand

Best answer 05-12-2018 10:33 AM

Accepted Solutions
Community Host

Re: Upgrade to QuickBooks Pro 2018 not without problems

Hey all, 

A link to @albersweb's awesome solution: 

Community Solutions - Back Up Your QuickBooks before Transferring between QuickBooks Desktop Version...

Thanks again for the insight, I am putting together a longer article on this soon. 

22 Comments
Community Host

This is really good feedback. Thank you, we love hearing directly from customers. Is there any in-product messaging telling you to do a 2016 Back-up instead of saving the QB file? Or did you figure this out on your own? Do you do regular Back-ups? 

I'd love to send this information to the right folks. 

Community Contributor *

Thanks, I took a copy of all the files before I started the upgrade. I did not do a 'back-up using QuickBooks'. Can't remember what the system asks for, but apparently that was not enough.

Community Host

@albersweb,

Thanks for letting me know. You're quite crafty! How did you figure out the fix? 

Community Contributor *

I got a little help from Intuit. They told me I had to do a Restore in QB 2018, so I figured out that you can only do a Restore if you have an actual back-up file and not a copy.

The key thing is that it takes 2016 to do a back-up, which you may have just replaced with 2018 as it deinstalls the old version. 

Community Host

@albersweb, while it shouldn't have taken so many steps, I am really glad to hear it worked out. 

Can I ask a big favor? Do you mind if we turn this conversation into an informational post to help steer other members in the right direction? 

I am having one of the Product Managers come in as well to be part of the conversation. 

Community Contributor *

Absolutely. Glad I could help.

Theo

Established Member

It's not just 2016. It also has problems updating 2017. It renames the files to .old than says it can't do it. I wonder if there's a case where updating a file directly works?

The backup and restore trick worked. Thanks for the idea.

Community Host

Hey all, 

A link to @albersweb's awesome solution: 

Community Solutions - Back Up Your QuickBooks before Transferring between QuickBooks Desktop Version...

Thanks again for the insight, I am putting together a longer article on this soon. 

Established Member

I found out why it wasn't upgrading in our case, 2017 to 2018. If the Users Windows security group doesn't have full access to the directory it will rename the old files but be unable to create the new ones. Being an Administrator doesn't matter.

Community Host

@Shonn

Thanks for the insight! Windows configurations have a habit of putting the breaks on other programs ><. 

Were your default security settings the issue? Or was it a setting you modified? 

My latest effort – “How to Customize Reports in QuickBooks Online

Established Member

Well behaved applications will trigger the UAC to ask for Administrator permissions.

I didn't set the folder up but it looked like it had normal permissions for Users.

We keep getting a "data file error. Rebuild your company files to correct issues." We have rebuilt 3 times since installing 2018 a week ago. Obviously there is a bigger issue needing attention.

QuickBooks Team

Hello, @PES-LLC.

Thank you for sharing what you've attempted so far with your file. Since you already ran the Rebuild, I recommend running a Verify on your file. Sometimes there is data damage in the file a Rebuild can't fix. Running a Verify, post-Rebuild, will show you errors still in the file that need to be manually fixed. Here's how you can run a Verify: 

• From File in the upper left-hand corner, Select Utilities.
  • Click Verify Data.
  • If Verify finds an issue with your data, you will be prompted to Rebuild Now or View Errors. Select View Errors.

Once you have a list of the errors, you have a few options available to you. You can contact support. or you can post a screenshot here and I will review the errors and help you to fix them. You can also try running your company file through the File Doctor. This is an advanced automated tool that fixes more complicated data damage issues. You can find more about that here: https://community.intuit.com/articles/1436686-quickbooks-file-doctor-fix-your-damaged-company-file-o... . If you want to contact support, you can find out how here: https://help.quickbooks.intuit.com/en_US/contact . You can also work with me, should you choose to. Leave me a comment below if you have any questions for me. 

I ran the Verify and it did not find any issues. However as soon as I clicked the ok the data file error message popped up again??

Established Member

Make sure your filename and path don't have apostrophes in them. We were running into an intermittent issue where people couldn't get into certain files and it was because of apostrophes.

This may not be the case for you but just putting another QB 2018 bug out there.

Community Host

@Shonn

That's great feedback, thank you. I've actually run into similar problems when uploading PDFs in other programs (ironically, even in Adobe), especially in online spaces - you get into an unending cycle when you hit "save" and the same menu keeps popping up with no warning message. 

I try to omit any punctuations when creating file names. Sometimes it can make the filename look a little strange, but that's much better than running into errors!

QuickBooks Team

Good morning, @PES-LLC.

Thank you for trying the Verify. Since there was no data damage detected while running the tool, I suggest you try running the File Doctor next. In case you need it, I've attached the article for the File Doctor here: https://community.intuit.com/articles/1436686-quickbooks-file-doctor-fix-your-damaged-company-file-o... . Be sure to keep me posted on your progress with this. 

For a company that forces all of us to upgrade every three years, they had enough time to test the product. If this is the new and improved, why do we have to spend hours figuring out how to resolve issues. 

Perhaps, you can look into charging for annual updates for a nominal fee that allows integration with banking websites past the three year mark.

2.5 hours on the phone and no solution other than my computer may not be compatible. 2 hours later, I figured out how to install on my own only to find out you can't even upgrade your company file without doing restore backup. 

Too many changes QB---Not enough testing.

I'm gettin the following:

You can open this company file only in QuickBooks Enterprise Solutions.  That is a 2015 version.  Can I not update Enterprise Solutions to Pro 18?

QuickBooks Team

Glad to have you here, martha62.

Allow me to share what I know about reverting your Enterprise company file into Pro.

Quickbooks Desktop Pro and Premier can't open a QuickBooks Enterprise company file or read its data. Since the database structure has expanded to accommodate the additional features of QuickBooks Desktop Enterprise, it makes the company file unrecognizable.

What you can do is create a new company file and export or import lists. You may check out this article for the detailed information: Revert a QuickBooks Desktop Enterprise company file to QuickBooks Desktop Pro or Premier.

Feel free to reach out to me if there's anything else you need. I'll be here to keep helping. Enjoy your day!

I too have experienced problems.  I upgraded about a week and half ago.  After upgrading version,  I opened up the company file as usual and for the last week and half going along thinking everything was fine after a slight bug with not being able to email invoice.  Today, I check in on the chart of accounts and found a couple of the account totals were way off!  After, I was able to restore my last 2016 back up in my 2016 copy of QuickBooks desktop pro and compare with it version after the 2018 upgrade, I confirmed that was the most likely cause for this discrepancy.   Thankfully, going the route of restoring backup with the last 2016 copy and having it upgrade that copy worked.  Account totals are good.  Unfortunately, I will have to redo some work, but at least the starting point is fixed.  

I totally agree with FedUp1's assessment. Having been a member of the software development community for over 50 years, I can't imagine why a company like Intuit makes (or allows) it to be so painful to upgrade on its users.

Come on Intuit, you can do much better.