aml120345
Level 1

We need to invite a new accountant.

14 Comments 14
JamesDuanT

Hello aml120345,

Let me give you the steps to invite your accountant:

1. Click the Gear icon and select Manage Users.
  2. Go to the Accounting firms tab and click the Invite button.
  3. Enter your accountant's information and click Save.

You can also use this article for reference: How to Manage an Accountant User in QuickBooks Online.

I'll be right here if you need anything.

MissyI
Level 2

Where is the gear icon?

MissyI
Level 2

Where is the gear icon?

David-212915
QuickBooks Team

Welcome to the Community, @MissyI. I'd be glad to show you where the Gear icon is. 

This icon is located in the upper right of the screen, in between the Magnifying Glass icon and the Help icon. I've included a screenshot to serve as a visual reference:

For additional information on adding an Accountant user, I recommend the following article: Invite or remove an accountant.

Should you have any questions about this, or need anything, I'm a post away. Hope you have a wonderful weekend.

MissyI
Level 2

Thank you, David! The screen shot didn’t come through. What page is it on? I just have a grid at the top with all the page options i.e Home Page, Search, Customers, Vendors, etc.

David-212915
QuickBooks Team

You're certainly welcome, @MissyI

The screenshot is appearing on my side, which means that it could be a browser display issue. You may wish to consider trying an alternative browser to see if you can view it. 

The Gear icon will always be available in the top right of the screen. Just to clarify, are you using QuickBooks Online (QBO)? The reason for asking is some of the options sound like you may be using QuickBooks Desktop.

Please feel free to let me know how it goes as I want to ensure you can access the Gear icon. Have a good one.

MissyI
Level 2

I have QB Desktop.

David-212915
QuickBooks Team

Thanks for getting back to me and providing that clarification, @MissyI

As the Gear icon is used only in QuickBooks Online, that explains why you're not seeing it. I'm including an article which provides an overview of creating a copy of your Desktop data for your accountant and sharing it with them: Create an accountant's copy to send to your accountant.

If I can be of further assistance, please don't hesitate to let me know. Wishing you well.

MissyI
Level 2

I have QB Desktop. How do I invite my accountant?

MissyI
Level 2

Disregard my second comment, I didn't see your reply and thought the first one didn't go through. Thanks for your help!

MissyI
Level 2

Ok, so I do have another question. Is this the same as sharing? My financial planner wants to help me with reports and such. Is that a different function or is it the same as the article you sent?

David-212915
QuickBooks Team

Hello again, @MissyI. I'd be glad to provide clarification on this process. 

This is generally how users of QuickBooks Desktop will share their file with an accountant. A person with an accountant version would be able to run reports on the data and work on the file. The following article provides further insight into these files and workflow: Use the Accountant's Copy.

As always, I'm a few clicks if you have questions on this article or anything else. Cheering you to continued success. 

matlock1
Level 1

I have qb desktop, I don't see the gear icon on my desktop.  Would you please show me where I can find it.

RCV
QuickBooks Team
QuickBooks Team

Thanks for providing that clarification, matlock1.

The Gear icon is only available in the QuickBooks Online version. If you are trying to add an accountant, we can add them as an external accountant user in QuickBooks Desktop. Just follow the steps below: 

1. Go to Company on the top menu. 
  2. Choose Set Up Users and Password, and then Set up Users.
  3. Tap Add User. Fill out the User NamePasswordConfirm Password, and then select Next.
  4. Select External Accountant and then select Next.
  5. Select Yes to give

Your external accountant role needs to link to a user's Intuit account. When setting up a new user, we'll send them an email invite for them to accept. Just inform them to check their email and look for the invite. Then, tap the Accept Invite link and sign in with their Intuit ID. If they can't find the email, have them check their spam and junk folders. Here's an article you can refer to for more details about setting up an external accountant user in QuickBooks Desktop

For more information about the different users and roles in QuickBooks Desktop, feel free to read the details from these articles:

Feel free to visit our help articles as your guide while working with QuickBooks in the future.

Please touch base with us here if there's anything else you need, I'm determined to ensure your success. Wishing you and your business continued success in all that you do.

Need to get in touch?

Contact us