cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Mark_Schwanbeck
Level 1

Why can't I see all my clients when I click on the Go to client's QuickBooks dropdown on my QB Accountant home page?

23 Comments 23
MaryGraceS

Why can't I see all my clients when I click on the Go to client's QuickBooks dropdown on my QB Accountant home page?

Hi there, @Mark_Schwanbeck.

Thank you for posting in the Community. Allow me to help share some possible solutions to see all your clients. 

There are a number of reasons why you might not find your client in the QuickBooks Online Accountant Client list.

• The incorrect login is used
  • You were not invited as the Accountant
  • Firm access to the client was removed
  • The client was moved to the inactive list
  • The client was renamed in the QuickBooks Online Accountant Client List

To start, let's verify if the client is moved to the inactive list.

Here's how: 

1. On the left pane, select Clients.
  2. Above the ACTIONS column, click the small Gear icon.
  3. Put a check in the Include inactive clients box.

If you don't still see the client, please refer to this article for more troubleshooting steps: How to find a company that is missing from the QuickBooks Online Accountant client list.

For additional help, feel free to reach out to our Customer Care support assist you further.

Here's how: 

1. Go to https://help.quickbooks.intuit.com/en_US/contact.
  2. At the top right, select your QuickBooks version.
  3. Select a topic.
  4. Click on the Get Phone Number or Start a Message button.

These resources should help to get you back on track.

I'm just a few clicks away if you have any other questions about your finding the missing client's on the list. I'll be delighted to be your guide once again. Have a great day. 

Level 1

hi 

I have followed your instructions and done the troubleshooting and I am still having trouble accessing client file. 

Please advise what i can do. 

thanks

carmen

PreciousB

Thank you for trying the steps above, 1402058880.

Let's make sure you can view all the clients on your QuickBooks Accountant.

Since you’ve already performed the recommended troubleshooting, I suggest contacting our QuickBooks Accountant Customer Care Team. They have the resources and tools such as screen-sharing to help you investigate this further. Please let the representative know what you've tried so far, so we don't recommend the same troubleshooting.

Here's how to reach us:

1. Select the Help icon in the upper right of the screen.
  2. Choose Contact us on the pop-up. 
  3. Enter a topic in the How can we help? field (ex. support) and choose Continue
  4. Click Get our phone number.
  5. Enter your contact information.
  6. Click Call me.

You can always go back to the article provided by my colleague above for further guidance.

This information should help you get pointed in the right direction.

I'd also appreciate if you can update me on how it goes. I'll be here if there's anything else you need. Have a great day.

cmklong
Level 1

Was there resolution on this?  My drop down isn't working anymore either.  I hit the drop down and it has a gray overlay on the screen.  I have to log out and back in to change clients.

MJoy_D

You can try to clear your browser's cache, @cmklong

When you click on the Go to client's QuickBooks drop-down, that'll show you the list of all your clients. Upon selecting the account, that should automatically route you to the client's account.

Check this article for more information: How to access a client's company in QuickBook Online Accountant

If it's unable you to move from one client to another, then it's possible that piled-up cache in your regular browser caused this unusual behavior. You can clear your current browser’s cache to resolve this. 

Try using a private browser when switching from one client to another. If it works, proceed and clear the cache in the one that you're currently using.

Here’s how to go incognito or use a private browser:

• For Chrome, press Ctrl + Shift + N.
  • For Internet Explorer or Firefox, press Ctrl + Shift + P.
  • For Safari, hold down Command + Shift + N.

Here's the clearing temporary internet files and cache article for detailed instructions. 

You can also use other browsers like Chrome, Safari, Edge and the like if the steps above didn’t work.

Let us know if you need further help with your account and or anything else. The Community is always here to assist. Have a wonderful day!

dustman27
Level 1

Having the same issue where Internet Explorer isn't even showing a drop-down menu at all. However, it's working just fine in Chrome.

Sigh, Intuit. You would make converting from QB Online to Desktop a huge pain.

Annotation 2020-06-01 180352.png

GingerTexas
Level 4

Yes, same for me.  Trying to export data back to desktop.

Pabz_L
QuickBooks Team

Hello there, @GingerTexas.

When you experience unexpected behavior in QuickBooks Online, we recommend performing the basic troubleshooting steps which are clearing your browser's cache

You can follow the steps above given by my colleague. Please make sure that you’re using your default browser when performing the steps. 

You can always use other browsers like Chrome, Safari, or Edge if the steps didn’t work.

Also, you can use this handy article if you have other issues with QuickBooks Online. Help articles.

Feel free to fill me in if you have any other questions. Have a nice day!

GingerTexas
Level 4

@Pabz_L wrote:

Hello there, @GingerTexas.

When you experience unexpected behavior in QuickBooks Online, we recommend performing the basic troubleshooting steps which are clearing your browser's cache

You can follow the steps above given by my colleague. Please make sure that you’re using your default browser when performing the steps. 

You can always use other browsers like Chrome, Safari, or Edge if the steps didn’t work.

Also, you can use this handy article if you have other issues with QuickBooks Online. Help articles.

Feel free to fill me in if you have any other questions. Have a nice day!

I cleared the cookies and I opened IE in private mode.  The clients are just not listed at all.  They are just fine in Chrome, however, QBO instructions state that I MUST use IE to download transactions to import into QB Desktop.  Is there another internet browser I can use.  Doesn't seem like IE is an option.  Thanks, in advance!

cooleytax
Level 2

Same issue here.  I am trying to export data from a QBO file to desktop.  It says it can only be done in Internet Explorer.  I am logged into QBO through Internet Explorer, but have no access to my client QBO files! This is extremely frustrating, Intuit!  Following, but not hopeful, for a solution.

MaryLandT

Thanks for the update, GingerTexas and for joining this thread, cooleytax,

Great job for performing the recommended steps provided by my colleague in this thread.

For now, the Internet Explorer browser isn't supported in QuickBooks Online. That's why you're unable to see your clients. You can use Google Chrome and other browsers to export the data to Desktop.

On the process, you'll be asked to click Install ActiveX Control Now and follow the steps to install ActiveX. If it fails, I recommend using a third-party application that will help you export and import to QuickBooks Desktop.

You can use this link to look for an application: https://quickbooks.intuit.com/app/apps/home/.

Let me know if you need additional information by commenting below. I'm always right here to help.

Thank you and stay safe!

GingerTexas
Level 4

Just got off phone with Jeff @ Intuit support.  Finally found a work around and was able to export my client off of QBO and import all activity to desktop.

Open Internet Explorer. Make sure your internet explorer will "trust" the QB sites, go to tools; internet options; security; click on trusted sites then click sites.  Add the following to trusted sites:

https://*.intuit.com

https://*.qbo.intuit.com

https://*.quickbooks.com

https://*.quickbooks.intuit.com

After this step, I made sure I had up-to-date Java and restarted my computer. Not sure if this is necessary, but might be.

In Internet Explorer, log into QBO using your accountant log in.  There will be no clients listed.  In the address bar, you should have https://c32.qbo.intuit.com/app/clients. Replace this with:

https://qbo.intuit.com/app/switchCompany?companyId=  (after the '=', you will enter your clients QBO ID without spaces, which you can find by selecting your client in QBO Chrome and then cntl-alt-?) It is important that you capitalize the "C" in Company and the "I" in Id, otherwise it will not work.

At this point you should have your client opened in Internet Explorer in QBO Accountant.  Now you will need to go to the address bar again, and you should have https://c10.qbo.intuit.com/app/homepage. Hi-light "homepage" and replace with "exportqbodatatoqbdt" and hit enter.  Should take you to the steps to start the export.  Phew!

If you happen to try to go back to your accountant dashboard, you will not have any clients listed again and will have to go through the above process again to access a particular client.  It is a bit of a challenge, but at least I did not have to re-enter data.  Hope this helps others.

aruheather
Level 1

Thank you so much for this! However, when I click "Get Started" nothing happens.  Is there something else I need to do?

aruheather
Level 1

Thank you for this! However when I hit "Get Started" nothing happens! Is there another step I am missing or a work around to this?

Steve_C
QuickBooks Team

Hi aruheather. The error you're experiencing sounds like it may be a simple cached file error. This type of error can occur whenever the temporary files also known as the cache in the web browser being used has become full. It's quite easy to tackle though so just follow these instructions in Internet Explorer to go ahead and clear out the cache to make room for new files. 

1. Close all Internet Explorer windows.

2. Open a new Internet Explorer browser, then click Tools > Internet Options. (If you don't see this, press the Alt key to show the menu bar.)

3. In the General tab, under Browsing History section, click Delete.

4. In the Delete Browsing History window, select the checkboxes for Temporary Internet Files and website files and Cookies and website data.

5. Click Delete.

After you select to delete it may take a while to finish clearing the files but once it's done you can go ahead and restart the browser and try again. Here's an article as well on clearing out cache that may help you understand what happened a bit better. Let me know if you run into anything else I'll be here to help. Have a great day. 

Karen31
Level 1

When I try this I get an error message that says I don't have access to that page. This is very frustrating.

GraceC
QuickBooks Team

Hi, @Karen31.

Since the basic troubleshooting didn't work, I'd suggest you contact our Customer Care team. They'll be able to do a screen-sharing session and see what's going on on your end when moving company data.

Before doing so, please check out our support hours here: Support hours and types.

Here are the steps:

1. Log in to your QuickBooks Desktop, and click Help located at the top.
  2. Choose QuickBooks Desktop Help.
  3. Enter a brief description of your issue and click Continue.
  4. You can choose Message an Agent or Get a callback.

Also, you can keep this article for reference on the process of migrating your QBO company file to QBDT: Export and convert your QuickBooks Online data to QuickBooks Desktop. Other than the steps for the process, you can also find screenshots. 

Once you're done with the conversion process, see this article: Limitations when you convert from QuickBooks Online to QuickBooks Desktop. It contains a list of data from your QBO, and how it's handled after you convert to QBDT.

You can always get back to us if you have other concerns or questions. We are always here to help.

jane
Level 1

Cannot use Chrome to export data to QuickBooks Desktop.  The selection tells you to use Internet Explorer with no choice to continue to Google.

DivinaMercy_N

I can provide steps so you can export data to QuickBooks Desktop, @jane.

First, let's open your QuickBooks Desktop (QBDT) in administrator mode. You only need to right-click the QBDT icon and choose Run as administrator. If it opens a company file, close it. This is to make sure that you're at the main QB screen to choose what company to open.

Next, run the Internet Explorer browser as administrator also. Here's how to do this:

1. Click the Windows icon and search for Internet Explorer.
  2. Right-click the IE icon and choose Run as administrator

Then, open the IE and turn off the pop-up blocker before you log in to your QuickBooks Online account. To turn it off, you only have to go to the tools icon, choose Internet Options. Navigate to the Privacy tab and uncheck Turn on Pop-up Blocker

Once done, prepare to export your QuickBooks Online data. Let me walk you through the steps:

1. In QuickBooks Online, go to Settings and select Export Data.
  2. Enter your reason for exporting and click Continue.
  3. In the Moving to QuickBooks Desktop section, tap Learn more.
  4. In the Download company data section, click Learn more.
  5. Hit Get started.
  6. Select Install ActiveX Control Now and follow the steps to install ActiveX. When it's finished, tick Continue.
  7. Choose the data you want to export and then Continue.
  8. Review the limitations and tap Continue.
  9. Enter your contact info and then Continue.

You'll receive an email when your data is ready to export. This usually takes a few minutes and may take up to 2 hours for companies with many transactions.

To finish exporting your data, please proceed to Step 4 to 5 of this article: Export and convert your QuickBooks Online data to QuickBooks Desktop

However, if you still can't export your data to QuickBooks Desktop, I suggest reaching out to our technical support team to check what causes the odd behavior of the system. They will also use specific tools to do screen sharing so they can help you export your data. To do so, you may follow the steps provided by my colleague, GraceC.

To know more about how your data converts from QuickBooks Online to QuickBooks Desktop, please see this link. This also includes those things you need to consider before you convert.

Let me know how it goes and leave a reply below if you have further concerns about exporting your data. I'm always right here to help, @Jane. Take care always. 

UrbanLedger
Level 1

Am I missing something? When trying to export it from any other browser it says you must use internet explorer, then I login to internet explorer and it doesn’t show my clients in order to login and complete the export. If it’s supported in other browsers, where is that info. I’m sorry, but QB seems like a joke right now. If you say we can export from online, it shouldn’t be this complicated. 

RenjolynC
QuickBooks Team

Thanks for joining this thread, 

When clients are not showing up from the list, it's possible that you don't not have the right permissions. Let's make sure you still have access to the client's company by following these steps:

1. Sign in to QuickBooks Online Accountant as a firm admin.
  2. Go to the Team menu and select your name.
  3. Click the Client Access tab and select the check boxes for the client companies you need access to.
  4. Hit Save.

Once done, go back to the Gear > Export and check if you see the clients from the drop-down list. If you're logged in as a basic or custom user, you'll want to ask your QuickBooks Online Accountant firm admin to give you access.

You can also check out this article for other solutions:How to find a company that is missing from the QuickBooks Online Accountant client list.

Please let me know how it goes. I'll be around to help until you see the clients and export the data. Thanks.

BBS2018
Level 2

Totally agree with UrbanLedger.  Trying to export data for a new client today and not only is there no client list when I sign into QBO, there's NOTHING...it's just a big white screen.  Earlier I could at least get into my QBOA (where I still couldn't see the client list either on the screen or in the dropdown).  Tried the fixes suggested and was excited but should have known they wouldn't work easily.  When I try to replace the URL with the companyID it just redirects me back to that pretty white page of nothing. 

I finally figured out that if I open IE in private browsing and change the settings (gear>>internet options>>privacy) to uncheck pop-up blocker and uncheck "disable toolbars and extensions when inprivate browsing starts" then the fix suggested above where you paste the URL with companyID actually works!

But it shouldn't be this complicated and time-consuming.  All this research and hacking is non-billable time for me and I'm two hours into what should have been a 10-minute process.

shastannie
Level 1

This has nothing to do with incorrect login etc.  This happens everytime I login and have to keep clicking on the client several times before it will go to the client, just another aggravating part of qbo.

Need to get in touch?

Contact us