cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JImOhio
Level 1

Cleared items on bank rec

When I do a bank rec the bank rec brings items that have been cleared. literally years ago. this makes the bank rec process unbearable because when you sort by columns it sorts all these items including items cleared years ago, taking a long time to sort. any way to have these cleared items from showing up?  why do they even show up.. they are cleared.thank you

3 Comments 3
Catherine_B
QuickBooks Team

Hello there, JImOhio. 

Cleared bank transactions don't mean they're already reconciled in QuickBooks. You'll have to reconcile them so they won't show up every time you reconcile. You can do a "mini-reconciliation" for these past cleared transactions. 

However, if they're already reconciled and shows up as cleared or unreconciled, it's possible that you've accidentally edited these transactions after reconciliation or data damage caused them to show up. We can run verify and rebuild data to fix this. 

You can refer to this article for more information about reconciling bank and credit card accounts

I'm here to assist you with your concerns. Have a good one!

JImOhio
Level 1

I clicked on reconcile but the next time I do a bank rec the old items, items already cleared still appear. if i sort the columns the program goes through some sort of refresh and takes a long time for the columns to sore... it goes through multiple passes/resorting. 

Kristine Mae

Good day, JImOhio.

Once you see a cleared transaction when reconciling your account, it means it's not yet reconciled. As what my colleague explained, if these cleared transactions are previously reconciled, it could be it was edited. Or a damaged data is causing this unexpected behavior. You can run the verify/rebuild utility tool to fix it. Here's how:

1. Click File.
  2. Go to Utilities, then choose Verify Data
  3. If QuickBooks detected no problems, there's no further action needed. If you receive a message, "Your data has lost integrity", the file is damaged. Just continue to Rebuild Data to correct the problem.
  4. When you Rebuild Data, you'll receive a message to back up your company file, just click OK. The utility starts as soon as the back up is finished.
  5. Click OK when you get the message "Rebuild has completed".
  6. Run Verify Data again to check for remaining data damage.

If you're done running the tool, try to reconcile the account again and check if you can see the cleared transactions.

We're just around if you need more help. You can always get back to this thread. 

Need to get in touch?

Contact us