cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
blaszlo01
Level 1

Create bank rule based on sales receipt description

Hello all,

I have just created by QBO account and have connected PayPal. All of the transactions have sync'd perfectly and are now waiting on my review. 

In PayPal, I have a few different kinds of transactions:

• Direct payments (someone sending payment directly from their PayPal to mine or vice versa)
  • Debit card payments (money out using PayPal debit card)
  • One time donations
  • Recurring donations
  •  Subscription sales
  • Etc...

All of these transactions, when imported, automatically get a "PayPal Sales" category and the "Description" is the name of the Payer - ie Bob Smith. The only way to tell what kind of transaction they are is to click the "Details" button on the transaction and looking at the "Description" in the sales receipt. 

I would like to create a bank rule to automatically categorize these properly, but I can't seem to do that based on this criteria. This is important because Donations are nontaxable income while Subscriptions are taxable. Any suggestions would be appreciated as I have thousands of transactions that I would rather not go through manually. Thanks!

Brad

5 Comments 5
SophiaAnnL

I'll show you a trick to easily categorize the downloaded transactions from PayPal, blaszlo01.

At this time, QBO can't set the Bank Rules to import the transactions based on the category. However, you have the option to manually change the categories by batch.

Here's how:

1. In the In QuickBooks tab, select the transactions that need to be under the non-taxable income account.
  2. Click the Batch Actions drop-down.
  3. Choose the Modify Selected option.
  4. In the Category drop-down, select the non-taxable income account.
  5. Click Save.
  6. Follow the same steps to categorize the Subscriptions.

It would be a good idea to share your suggestion with our developers. Here's the link to send your feedback: https://feedback.qbo.intuit.com/.

Please let me know if you have more questions on this.

blaszlo01
Level 1

I should have specified earlier... I already tried this and it doesn't work. I change the Category, hit Save, and both of the fields turn green momentarily as if they had changed, but they don't change. The only way to change them is to modify the sales receipt. Do you have any other suggestions?

HoneyLynn_G
QuickBooks Team

Hi there, @blaszlo01.

Thank you for looping back and clearing things out.

I've tried the steps given by my colleague @SophiaAnnL, and it worked perfectly fine. But I'd like to clarify that you can only modify your transaction under the For Review tab.

Please refer to these screenshots for your visual guide. 

That way, you will no longer have to edit each transaction. Keep me posted if you have other questions about QuickBooks. Have a wonderful day ahead.

blaszlo01
Level 1

As I stated earlier, it doesn't work. See screenshots below.

SS1.pngSS2.pngSS3.png

HoneyLynn_G
QuickBooks Team

I'm back to help you get the best support to resolve this, @blaszlo01.

I appreciate your efforts in adding some screenshots. Since you're able to perform the recommended steps and still unable to categorize the transactions, I'd be best to get in touch with our Phone Support Team. They have extra tools, such as screen sharing, that helps identify the cause of this.

Keep me posted on how the call goes or if you have other concerns. I'll surely get back to you.  Have a good one.

Need to get in touch?

Contact us