cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
maureenorman
Level 2

How do I add a cash account to my banking page?

12 Comments 12
AddieC
QuickBooks Team

Hello, 

Connecting your bank accounts to the Bank Feed is one of the best features in QuickBooks Online. This helps you automatically import all the transactions from your online banking platform. This makes reconciliation a smooth process, and it saves you time knowing that all your transactions are stored in one place. 

If you'd like to connect a bank account to the Bank Feed, simply follow the steps in this article: How to connect bank accounts and manage imported transactions

This is another useful resource you can review as well: Connect bank and credit card accounts to QuickBooks Online

I hope this helps. Please feel free to reach out if you have any other questions. 

Have a great day!

maureenorman
Level 2

Thanks for your response, but that doesn't help, unless I'm missing something! I want to add an account to my banking page that does NOT connect to a bank. It appears that the only way is to go through the 'download transactions' process but because it's cash this is irrelevant. Is it possible to add an account to the banking page that is not connected to a bank? I can see it on my dashboard, but I just want to know if I can see it with my other accounts on the banking page. 

Thanks

Maureen

AddieC
QuickBooks Team

Hello again, Maureen. Thanks for reaching back out for further clarification. I'll straighten this out. 

The Bank Feed is used to link your QuickBooks Online account to your online banking. The only way to attach an account to the Banking portal in QuickBooks Online is to sync it with a Financial Institution. You're still able to record cash transactions in your account, however this money will ultimately be 'deposited' into a bank account. If your accounts aren't connected to the Bank Feed, the account will simply appear in the register, or the Chart of Accounts. 

I hope this helps make sense of the Banking feature in the program. If you have any other questions, please don't hesitate to ask. 

Cheers! 

Doug1000
Level 1

I hope you can help, on my app on iphone I can see cash but but would like to see it online?  Cheers Doug

AddieC
QuickBooks Team

Hi Doug1000. Can you explain in more detail what you're trying to see in the browser version of the program? Are you referring to a bank account? Feel free to post screenshots of your app screen if there's no personal/private information showing. 

Swervey
Level 1

did this get answered. I'm trying to same

LauraAB
QuickBooks Team

Hello Swervey,

Thanks for joining in on this thread. I want to make sure you have the information you need about the accounts in QuickBooks Online. I'll review what my colleague explained above.

In QuickBooks Online, the Banking tab is used to connect bank accounts to QuickBooks Online for automatic download of transactions. This is a great option for speeding up data entry and even reconciliation when you add or match the transactions from the feed to your books.

The Accounting tab is where you can handle all other accounts that you'd like to enter manually, such as a cash account. These accounts will appear on the Dashboard so you can have a sense of the funds in your books at a glance, but the Banking tab is exclusively for connected accounts. To see transactions related to accounts in the chart of accounts, you can select the Account history or Run report options in the Action column as needed. Here's an article that can help with QuickBooks' Chart of Accounts feature: Understand the chart of accounts in QuickBooks

I hope that helps clear things up, but I'll be here if you have more questions. :)

ConcretePixel
Level 1

I found a work-around to the issue of adding accounts to the banking page. I wanted to see "owner paid expenses" on the banking page for easy transaction management and through some trial and error, I stumbled on this solution...

The way I added (or re-add an account that was removed) to banking was by creating a "dummy" .csv bank transaction file to import. I created two transactions in the file (single transaction didn't show up in the import).

10-13-2017,Transfer from Business Checking,0,1
10-13-2017,Transfer from Business Checking,0,1

When you import the file, associate the imported transactions with the account you want to display on the banking page. Once you complete the import process, just delete the fake transactions. The account should display on your banking page now.

Coridawn_
Level 1

Can you explain how you made a dummy file to import?  I would love to see a cash account in the banking page. 

KTN984
Level 1

This work around did work. 

So I created a Petty Cash account, but I want to see it in the Banking tab with all my other accounts. 

I created a file called Export - Dummy Transactions based on another bank account export folder. 

I imported this file to the Petty Cash account and voila, I can now see Petty Cash on the Banking tab. 

ConcretePixel
Level 1

If you are working on windows, you can create a simple text file using notepad called "dummy.txt" and rename the file to "dummy.csv" which converts the file type for importing to QB.

If you don't see the ".txt", you need to unhide file extensions in the "folder and search options".

Hope this helps!

PhilippeMakes
Level 3

Amazing how users solve issues that the QBO staff cannot answer.

Need to get in touch?

Contact us