cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
krystalljoy
Level 1

How do I fix a deleted reconciled transaction, I want it undone?

45 Comments 45
JamesDuanT

Hello Krystal,

We won't be able to undo a deleted transaction. However, we can review the Audit Log to see the details and recreate it manually. Here's how:

1. Click the Gear icon in the upper-right corner and select Audit Log.
  2. Look for the deleted transaction and click View.
  3. Click the arrow on when it was created and deleted.
  4. Take note of the transaction details.
  5. Recreate the transaction manually by clicking the Create menu (+).

After we recreate the transaction, we can go back to your register and change it's status to Reconciled (R) manually. You can use this article for the detailed steps: How to Unreconcile a Transaction or Undo a Reconciliation.

Let me know how this goes so I can give you a hand if necessary. Thanks!

poolinspectorpd
Level 1

Where is the Create menu?

Charies_M

Hello there, poolinspectorpd.

Thanks for getting back. Let me help clear this up for you.

You can manually recreate the transaction by click the Plus (+) icon or the create menu and choose what transaction you want to recreate.

I've attached a screenshot for a better view.

Stay in touch if you have additional questions about this. I'm always around in the Community to help you out.

RAVIKARRA
Level 1

I have re entered the deleted entry and checked the Tick mark manually and saved the transaction. After performing all the above actions also the deleted entry is appearing in Discrepancy report. Since I have rectified the issue I believe it should not show.

Could you help me on the functionality.

Regards,

Ravi

Ryan_M

Hi @RAVIKARRA,

Chiming in to provide an answer to your question.

If you haven't marked that transaction as reconciled, you can do so by clicking the Accounting tab. Look for the bank account that recreated transaction's linked.  Click the View register of the bank to show you a list of transactions. Look for the specific transaction then tick the column between Deposit and Balance. Do this until it shows you the R status. This R status means that tagging this transaction as reconciled.

This should do it. If ever you have any other transactions appearing in your Discrepancy report, please check if you need to tag them as reconciled as well.

Please leave a comment below for any other questions you might have.

Tiago
Level 1

We decided to link our quickbooks with my bank account and for some reason somebody didn't pay attention and deleted some double transactions. Now I am getting a error message when I try to reconcile the account saying:

Your account isn't ready to reconcile yet.

Your beginning balance is off by $1,572.49. 

What is the best way to solve this problem? 

AileneA
QuickBooks Team

Hi there, @Tiago. 

Welcome to the Community. I'll help you recover the deleted transactions to get rid of an error message when reconcile.

This usually occurs when a manual update was done during the time that your bank is syncing with QuickBooks Online (QBO). You can locate the deleted transactions under Excluded tabs and undo it. 

However if the transactions are totally delete you'll need to manually recreate it. 

Let me guide you on how to do it. 

1. From the left pane click Banking and select Banking
  2. Under Excluded tab, you'll can see all the deleted transactions and click Undo

banks..PNG

All  the excluded they will not be tracked or reported as part of your business finances and won't appear on bank register or reports.

However, if you can't find the transactions you need to recreate.   

You can also run a Audit log report to review, all the modified or deleted transactions. 

audit.PNG

Once done, you can try reconcile it to double check.  

I've added an article for your reference: Assign, categorize, edit, and add your downloaded banking transactions

That's it. This should help you point in the right direction. Let me know if you have further questions. I'll be here to answer them. Have a great day!

lenbland1
Level 1

This is the most frustrating thing for me with Quickbooks Online software.

kmonty16
Level 1

I don't have the "recreate" menu.

Winders
Level 1

I have my QuickBooks sinc’d with My contractor tools. I realized one of my account had one too many payments. A payment that wasn’t actually there. So I went to my contractor tools deleted the extra transaction but then accidentally deleted one that was reconciled then recreated it in contractor tools then reconciled the new one. Now the old one is still sitting in my unreconciled area but it needs to actually be deleted. What do i do?

CraftsmenGroup
Level 1

hi I do not have the create Column?

Adrian_A

We can run some troubleshooting steps to determine why you're unable to see the Create (+ New) button, CraftsmenGroup.

There are times that an issue like this occurs when we encounter a browser-related issue. 

To start with, let's open QuickBooks on a private window. This is the best place to identify why you don't have the Create (+ New) button. You can use these keyboard shortcuts to open one:

• Google Chrome: Ctrl Shift N
  • Mozilla Firefox: Ctrl Shift P
  • Microsoft Edge: Ctrl Shift P
  • Safari: Command Shift N

If you're able to see the button, we can go back to your main browser and clear its cache. A piled cache can also be the reason for some unexpected issues on the opened pages like QuickBooks.

We also have the option to use a different browser like Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, Microsoft Edge, or Safari.

Afterward, let's try creating a transaction. You can add one by clicking either the + New button on the upper-left pane or in the + icon on the upper-right side.

Feel free to check this article when you want to remove a previous reconciled transaction: Undo and remove transactions from reconciliations in QuickBooks Online.

I'm just  post-away if you need help in removing transactions. Keep safe!

cards227
Level 1

Could you please explain more about this "if you can't find the transactions you need to recreate".   I know how to add but what do you mean by recreate?  Could you show an example please.  My problem is that I deleted transactions that were reconciled with out undoing them.  Now I am lost how to fix this problem.

thank you,

Larry C

nc13
Level 1

I followed these steps to rectify the same issue; however, I still get this transaction showing up on my discrepancy report stating it was deleted...

MichelleBh

Hi there, @nc13.

Thank you for following the steps provided by my peer above about rectifying the transactions in QuickBooks Online. 

The deleted transactions that are showing in the discrepancy report is normal. This lets you know that there were deleted entries from that reconciliation.

As long as you manually reconciled the transactions that you've previously created, the report will stay accurate.

In case, you have older transactions added to QuickBooks that are dated before your opening balance, it may impact the account's total. You can still reconcile the older transactions so everything stays balanced.

I've also added an article about the different hubs in QuickBooks which includes reconciling, banking, billing, other topics: Hub article index.

Let me know if you have any questions by leaving a comment underneath. I'm happy to help. Have a great day!

nc13
Level 1

Thank you for your response.  However, when I re-create the transaction and manually reconcile it, it shows up as a new discrepancy ("Reconciled in Register") and doesn't balance out.  I've attached an image for reference.

katherinejoyceO
QuickBooks Team

Thanks for the screenshot, @nc13. I'm here to help you fix the discrepancy in your reconciliation. 

As additional insights, the discrepancy you encounter is when there's a change made on the status of an unreconciled transaction to reconciled (R). The system thought it's a previously reconciled transaction. 

To fix this issue, let's go to your register and change the status to blank so you can continue reconciliation. Here's how: 

1. Go to the Accounting menu, then click Chart of Accounts.
  2. Select the account on the list, then click View register.
  3. Review the transactions on the list. There should be a or a blank box in the checkmark column. 
  4. Review the checkmark column. If there's an on the transaction, click the box in the checkmark column. 
  5. Keep selecting it until the box is blank. Then, click Save

Once done, you can now go back to resume/start reconciliation

For future reference, here are our articles to help you fix in case you encounter another reconciliation discrepancies: 

Feel free to message us again if you still need help with your reconciliation. We're always around here to help. 

nc13
Level 1

Thanks for your response.  Then how will I get rid of the "deleted" transaction discrepancies if when I re-create those transactions they turn into their own discrepancy?

MirriamM

Hello again, @nc13.

Allow me to join this thread and share how to get this resolved. 

When entering an expense transaction, make sure to select an expense category or any other category. And do not select the bank account in the Category line item. Doing so will account your transactions properly. 

For guidance in categorizing your transactions, see this resource: Categorize and match online bank transactions in QuickBooks Online.

For additional reference about managing your income and expenses in QuickBooks Online (QBO), visit this link.

If you have any other questions, leave a comment below. I'll get back to you as quickly as possible. Have a good day!

nc13
Level 1

I'm still confused.  I have about 8 discrepancies because the transactions were deleted.  I have recreated them exactly as they were and selected R in the register to reconcile.  But now these new transactions are appearing as additional discrepancies.  I've attached my current discrepancy report, as well as the original transaction info that was deleted and the info of the new transaction I recreated.  If you can let me know where I'm going wrong based off of that or if there is a phone number I can use to contact an actual person that would be great.

katherinejoyceO
QuickBooks Team

Thanks for coming back with the screenshots, @nc13

To resolve the discrepancies, I'd recommend you check your bank statement and see if those previously deleted reconciled transactions match your current reconciliation date. 

You can also follow the steps under Deleted topic outlined in this help article: Fix issues for accounts you've reconciled in the past in QuickBooks Online.

If the issue persists, you can contact our Customer Care team through chat or request a callback. You can also follow these steps to initiate a chat session:

1. Log in to your QuickBooks Online account. 
  2. Go to this link: https://help.quickbooks.intuit.com/en_US/contact, then select QuickBooks Online.
  3. Click Search for something else.
  4. Enter your concern briefly by typing "Reconciliation" in the Ask us anything field and click Search.  
  5. Click Start a Message and enter all required information in the pop-up box. Then, click I'm not a robot and hit Submit

Once done, wait for a representative to join in the chat session. You can also request a screen-sharing session so they can review your reconciliation. 

I'm always here if you need more help, @nc13. Take care. 

4gencorp
Level 1

I recreated the deleted entry and it is still not showing up on my bank register for me to reconcile. Why?

MaryLandT

I'm here to help ensure you're able to reconcile the entry you've recreated, 4gencorp.

You can start by searching the transaction using the magnifying glass. Let me guide you through the steps:

1. Select the Magnifying Glass.
  2. Enter the date, amount, or transaction number you’re looking for, then select the desired transaction.
  3. If the transaction you're looking for does not appear on the results list, select Advanced Search.
  4. Adjust the filters to find the type of data you want. 
  5. You can customize your results by selecting the small Gear icon above the search results, then choose the columns you want to display.

Once you find the entry, click to open it. Then, click More and choose Transaction journal. From there, you can see the posting accounts under the Account column. This is where you can see which bank account this entry is posted to.
transaction journal.PNG

You can change the posting account to ensure the entry is recorded on the correct bank account. Then, on your bank register, make sure the status is blank, not cleared (C) or reconciled (R).
manuallyreconcileatransaction.png

You won't be able to see the entry on the Reconciliation page if the status is cleared or reconciled.

You can also find a transaction through the Chart of Accounts. Please refer to this link for your guide: Find, review, and edit transactions in account registers.

For instructions and detailed steps on how to reconcile an account, check out this article: Reconcile an account in QuickBooks Online.

Keep me posted if you need additional information about the reconciliation process in QuickBooks. I'm always right here to help you.

4gencorp1
Level 1

I re entered the transaction and I still cannot find it on the bank register to reconcile.

Need to get in touch?

Contact us