cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Frank15
Level 1

How do I remove one bank account from a P&L report?

4 Comments 4
JamesDuanT

Hello Frank,

Though the Profit and Loss report is automatically filtered to All Income/Expense Accounts, we can still customise it and remove a bank account. Here's how:

1. Open the Profit and Loss report and click the Customise button.
  2. Go to the Filter section and mark the Distribution Account box.
  3. Mark the (Select all) box. You can also mark multiple accounts if necessary.
  4. Unmark the bank account's box.
  5. Click Run report.

I'll get back to you if you need anything else.

Capture.PNG

Frank15
Level 1

Thanks for advice; it works; now, how do I show (in a P&L report) a transfer, from an account that is still in the P&L, to the account that I have selected to be out of the P&L  Thanks, Frank

Joyce_P
QuickBooks Team

Hello there, Frank.

The profit and loss report only shows the transactions based on the customization of the report. 

In your case, since the bank account is already removed from the report, the transfer will also not show in it. You'll want to include the Bank account you've removed so the transfer will show in the P&L report.

Here's how:

1. Go to Reports and search for the Profit and Loss report.
  2. Click the Customize button.
  3. Select the Filter section.
  4. Check the Distribution Account box.
  5. In the Distribution account drop-down, check the bank account that the transfer is located.
  6. Click Run report.

Don't hesitate to visit us again if you need more help.

ATG_Accounts
Level 2

But what is a Bank Account doing in a Profit and Loss!?!  Bank accounts are assets and need to be in a Balance Sheet.

Maybe you are asking - how do I get a P&L from only those transactions that happened to be paid into or taken out of a particular bank account (or closer to your actual question - don't include income and expenses that went through a particular bank account).  Now that is an interesting question and if the solution provided below is the answer to that question I have seriously learnt something and is an explanation for those filter options I have never understood.  I will have to test it and think about when I might have a reason to use it.  Thoughts are starting to flow.  I'm an accruals man, so bank accounts have little role in management for me, but maybe a Liability or a Clearing account.  Tasty.