cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Established Member

I am unable to reconcile a bank account becasue the ending balance is a negative number. How do I enter this?

You can not enter -18.50 (negative $18.50) in the reconciliation cell of the reconciliation area of my desktop Quickbooks for MAC.

HOW DO YOU ENTER A NEGATIVE NUMBER IN THIS FIELD?

Thank you!

5 Comments
QuickBooks Team

Re: I am unable to reconcile a bank account becasue the ending balance is a negative number. How ...

Hi, firstlorien.

I tried to replicate the process and I was able to enter a negative ending balance in QuickBooks. Let’s try updating your QuickBooks for Mac to eliminate any unusual behaviors. Here’s how:

1. On the QuickBooks menu, click Check for QuickBooks Updates.
  2. Select Install Update and click Install and Relaunch when prompted.

For additional ways on updating the software, please refer to this article: https://community.intuit.com/articles/1789170-update-quickbooks-mac-desktop

You might want to check as well with your accountant if you can reconcile the account next month (reconciling two months together) or any alternatives in handling this situation.

Always consider posting your questions in the Community site if you have other questions about QuickBooks.

Established Member

Re: I am unable to reconcile a bank account becasue the ending balance is a negative number. How ...

I WILL CLARIFY AGAIN: I am trying to enter -18.50 in the RECONCILIATION CELL of the ENDING BALANCE. In the reconciliation window.

Updating is not fixing this problem.
THOUGHTS?

Established Member

THIS IS TAKING PLACE IN THE RECONCILIATION WINDOW.

I have a negative [-18.50] ending balance.

Can not enter a negative number... no matter how many times I try....

QuickBooks Team

Hello, firstlorien.

Thanks for responding back and sharing the results you’re getting after trying the steps above.

Since you’re still unable to enter the amount, I’d recommend contacting our phone support for further assistance. Here’s how to reach them:

1. Visit this link: https://help.quickbooks.intuit.com/en_US/contact. 
  2. Choose your product: QuickBooks Desktop.
  3. Choose QuickBooks Mac Desktop.
  4. Select any main topics and sub topics.
  5. Scroll down, and click the Get Phone Number button.

Drop us a post if I can do anything else for you.

Community Backer ***

If you have a value in the Ending Balance field (even 0) when you type the minus sign the calculator tape will show up.  Just type 18.50 next and hit return.  It will enter -18.50. 

Alternatively, when you enter the ending balance field type command-A to select all and then Delete to delete the number in the field (default is 0.00 I think).  Then type -18.50.