cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Community Explorer **

I have a check that was accidentally deposited in QBO in November but the check never cleared. The deposit is linked to other payments. I got a new check how do I record

3 Comments
QuickBooks Team

Re: I have a check that was accidentally deposited in QBO in November but the check never cleared...

Hi @courtney6

You would need to create a deposit for the correct check , then unlink the check that was accidentally deposited from the other payments so you can record your deposit correctly. Let me show you how. 

First, record a deposit:

1. Select the Plus icon (+).
  2. Under Other, select Bank Deposit.
  3. In the Choose an account field, select the bank account to which to deposit funds.
  4. If available, select the checkboxes of the correct check to deposit in the Select the payments included in this deposit section.
  5. Select Save and close or Save and new.

Next, unlink the check that was accidentally deposited.

1. Select the Magnifying glass icon, then Advanced Search.
  2. From the drop-down above the Search button, choose Deposits.
  3. Click Search.
  4. Look for the deposit that includes the wrong check, and open it.
  5. Uncheck the wrong check.
  6. Select Save and close or Save and new

You can also read this relevant article for future help: How to Record Bank Deposits.

If there’s anything else I can help you with, please post again.

Community Explorer **

Re: I have a check that was accidentally deposited in QBO in November but the check never cleared...

The new check is also in a deposit linked with other payments, will this be an issue?

QuickBooks Team

Thanks for getting back to the QuickBooks Community, courtney6.

Allow me to step in and help provide some additional information about the deposit linked with other payments in QuickBooks Online (QBO). 

QBO has automation features where it will automatically applying for payments. Let's make sure this feature is turned off on your QuickBooks settings. 

Let me walk you through the steps:

1. Select the Gear icon.
  2. Click Account and Settings.
  3. Select Advanced on the left of the screen.
  4. Click the Pencil icon in Automation.
  5. Remove the check-mark in the box next to Automatically apply credits
  6. Click Save and select Done.

For additional reference, you can check this article: Apply a credit from an overpayment

Once done, you can follow the steps provided by my colleague on his post above to deposit the linked on the correct payment. 

This will get you on the right track. Please know that I'm just a post away if you have other questions about the deposit payment. Wishing you and your business continued success.