cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
TreyHJ
Level 1

Importing Credit Memos with iif files

Both my company and the developers we work with are having issues getting credit memos to import in iif files. Bills and other transactions work fine using the same format.

Here is an example. Trying to import this file gives an error "Error on Line 6: Can't record invalid transaction".

!TRNS TRNSTYPE ACCNT AMOUNT DATE NAME DOCNUM MEMO
!SPL TRNSTYPE ACCNT AMOUNT DATE NAME DOCNUM MEMO
!ENDTRNS
TRNS CREDIT MEMO Accounts Payable -0.51 11/28/2018 Sysco [removed] 
SPL CREDIT MEMO Dining - food & beverage:Raw food 0.51 20181128   
ENDTRNS

Thank you in advance for any assistance.

11 Comments 11
qbteachmt
Level 15

Credit Memos are Customer-related (AR). Bill Credits are Vendor-related (AP). So, yes, this seems Invalid.

Anonymous
Not applicable

If this transaction really is an AP transaction - a credit from a Vendor, then the correct TYPE is "BILL REFUND" and not "CREDIT MEMO"

It may be useful to you to use our BRC IIF Transaction Creator Pro  to create excellent example IIF files which you can pattern match.

Iceguy
Level 1

Here is a example of a file I want to do a credit memo on.  Can someone help me find the correct format?  It was a invoice.. but I want to experiment with it to import as a credit memo.. but having a problem finding out what I am missing.

TRNS CREDIT MEMO 3/5/2019 Accounts Receivable ICE:CONSTRUCTION INDUSTRIAL POLY ONE #438 64.5 Terms 60 Days N TERMS POLY ONE CORPORATION AP DEPT P.O. BOX 90 AVON LAKE, OH 44012 Polyone #438*>< 33587 Walker Road Avon Lake, OH Y PO4658150 [removed] 5/4/2019
SPL CREDIT MEMO 60100-Sales:60101-Sales-Ice POLY ONE #438 -52.50 3.50 -15 22 POUND BAGGED ICE 22 Pound Bag N ICE:CONSTRUCTION INDUSTRIAL
SPL CREDIT MEMO 60100-Sales:60101-Sales-Ice POLY ONE #438 -12.00 12.00 -1 DEL FEE FLAT 12 DEL. FEE ($12.00) N ICE:CONSTRUCTION INDUSTRIAL
SPL CREDIT MEMO SALES TAX PAYABLE Treasurer of State 0.00 0.0675 LORAIN SALES TAX Sales Tax AUTOSTAX Y
ENDTRNS  

It came back that I can't import a negative value into a credit memo.. so I guess I am on the right track.  I tried changing values from positive to negative.. no luck.  So if anyone can give assistance on this.. that would help  alot.  

IamjuViel
QuickBooks Team

Hello there, @Iceguy.

I'd be delighted to share additional details on how you can import your credit memo.

To download a sample IIF file with a correct format in importing credit memo, you may check out article: IIF Overview: import kit, sample files, and headers.

You can also import these credit memos using Batch Enter Transactions. Here's how:

1. Go to Accountant.
  2. Choose Batch Enter Transactions.
  3. Select the Invoices and Credit Memos.
  4. Choose the specific Account where it will be posted,
  5. Enter the necessary information on each columns in the spreadsheet.  
  6. Click Save Transactions.

That should do it! Feel free to visit us here in the Community if you have other questions about importing batch transactions. I'm always here to help.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Iceguy 

For a credit memo, the SPL Quantities and Amounts should be positive and the  Amount on the TRNS row negative.  The opposite of an Invoice in every way.

Iceguy
Level 1

Thanks so much for replying to me on this. 

I have attached a sale that I imported as a invoice.  

Are you saying that if this was a credit memo, would say CREDIT MEMO and the values would be the exact opposite?  Like I did in this file?  

Thanks again for your help on this!   

Iceguy
Level 1

I attached a invoice that I import. 

Are you saying that for the credit memo.. it would be the exact opposite.. like the attached?  I just changed it to CREDIT MEMO on each line.. and changes the positives to negatives and vice versa? 

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there, @Iceguy,

Thanks for getting in touch with us today. I can add a bit more about importing credit memos in QuickBooks.

You're doing the right thing with mapping the transactions. Before importing, you can use our sample IIF files to compare your entries. It contains transaction data and the associated list data to guide you how to combine several types of data in one IIF file. Click the links below:

Please use a WinZip or a compatible file compression utility to get the contents of the downloaded file.

You can also check this article to know more about importing the transactions in QuickBooks: IIF Overview: import kit, sample files, and headers

Once you have the file ready, you can not start uploading the IIF file. Here's how:

1. Click the File menu.
  2. Choose Utilities.
  3. Select Import.
  4. Pick IIF Files on the list.
  5. Locate your .IIF file and click to highlight it.
  6. Click Open.
  7. Select OK on the pop up message.

That should get you on the right track, @Iceguy.

Please let me know if you have any questions. I'm here if you need further assistance. Have a great day!

arnierudy
Level 1

How do you import an IIF file with a tax only credit memo. i was able to import an invoice, but the same setup for a credit memo does not work.  If i use the tax group it says the item is the wrong type. if i use the tax items it says i have an invalid reference to the tax item. I tried the "i'll fix it later" link but that just says it is an invalid transaction. 

I'm attaching a file with an example of each. Maybe i'm missing something.

-Thanks in advance.

Rose-A

I'd be glad to assist you with importing credit memos in QuickBooks Desktop, arnierudy.

I appreciate the screenshot you've provided. To import the transactions via the IIF file successfully, you must check the file first. Double-check the account names used, the spelling, and any other typographical errors. You must ensure that the names used exist and are acceptable in QuickBooks.

Also, be sure to select the correct items and their corresponding accounts. Once you're done checking the file, you should be able to import the credit memo seamlessly.

For more information about the process, check out this article: Export, import, and edit IIF files. On the same link, you’ll also find different transactions and lists you can import using the IIF file type.

Additionally, in case you need help with importing your customers and vendors via the CSV file, you can read through this article: Import/export CSV files.

You can always reach out to me if you have additional questions about the importing process or anything in QuickBooks Desktop. I'm always ready to lend a helping hand.

Fiat Lux - ASIA
Level 15

Need to get in touch?

Contact us