cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Community Manager
Solved

Is there a way to change the color of a check or register?

Some companies may have several bank accounts. Changing the color scheme makes it easy to quickly distinguish a specific account.

Best answer 02-19-2019

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Community Manager

Re: Is there a way to change the color of a check or register?

To change the account color on the Write Checks window or Register

1. Display a check or register (Banking > Write Check or Use Register)
  2. On the Edit menu, select Change Account Color . . .
  3. Choose a color and click OK.

You should see the selected color outline the check and also match the check register.

17 Comments
Highlighted
Community Manager

To change the account color on the Write Checks window or Register

1. Display a check or register (Banking > Write Check or Use Register)
  2. On the Edit menu, select Change Account Color . . .
  3. Choose a color and click OK.

You should see the selected color outline the check and also match the check register.

Community Contributor *

Hi,

I'm searching for a way to restore the color of an account register to default?  I changed mine and the colors are too bright for me!

Thank you for any help.  

QuickBooks Team

Good day, @Karen-Ruth.

Thanks for getting back to us. Allow me to jump in and provide some additional information about the default color in the bank register. 

Once you've changed the account register color, there's isn't a way to change it back to the default color. For the meantime, you can set a different color that isn't too bright instead. 

I also encourage you to send feedback directly to our Product Developer for future updates. Here's how you can send feedback:

1. Click Help at the top.
  2. Select Send Feedback Online.
  3. Select Product Suggestion.
  4. Choose the Product Area and enter your suggestion.
  5. Add your name and e-mail address to receive updates on your request. 

Please know that yo're always welcome to post if you have any other questions about the bank register. Have a good one. 

Community Contributor *

Wow, I'm glad I asked --- and didn't change any others in the meantime!

Thank you very much, JanyRoseB.  I'll be sure to send something to Product Suggestion.

Woman Happy

Community Contributor *

Thank you, JaneyRoseB.  I'm glad I asked and didn't change any others in the meantime! 

I will send something to Product Suggestion.  Woman Happy

(PS.  If this ends up being a duplicate post of sorts, I have another suggestion, this one for Community.  Why would the system allow me to click on "reply" through email notification of a post, allow me to spend time composing, and then vaporize it when I click to post?  The log in prompt appears, which makes sense, but that could happen at the onset.  Smiley Frustrated

Established Community Backer ***

@JanyRoseB 

Please learn from this input. You need to Learn about these functions.

@Karen-Ruth 

In Desktop, you open that account's Register view. Now you will use Edit menu > Change Account Color. Pick what you like.

Please see my attachment.

Community Contributor *

Thanks for your effort, however, my question is about changing it back to the default color --- which does not appear as an option nor as a color selection.  I spent a lot of time searching before I posted and it surely does appear that there is not a way to do this.  

Am I missing anything from your message?  

QuickBooks Team

You're not missing anything, Karen-Ruth.

Changing the account register color back to default is unavailable. You'll want to change it to a different color which is not too bright. To do that, please refer to the steps which my colleague @JaneyRoseB provided.

Also, we'd encourage you to send feedback to our engineers to have this feature request included in their future updates. You can send it directly to them by clicking Help then choosing Send Feedback Online.

Let me know if you have additional questions. I'd be here to help. 

In desktop, the Default Color is pale green, and All Colors are available. You see that tool which even provides for Defining a Custom Color.

Community Contributor *

Aha!  Now I see the option I was indeed missing, thanks to your diligence.  I was able to match the default green by manually adding the exact numbers for hue, sat, etc. 

Brilliant, and I love resolving things.  Thank you.  Good Monday to you!    

Community Contributor *

@qbteachmt , I meant to tag you in my reply.  I'm so green, haha.  

Glad to help.

Experienced Member

I've read all of the comments BUT this only changes the OUTLINE of the green check, not the whole check.  The register color fully changes, but not the check.  QB used to be able to do this because I used it.  It's very helpful when you deal with multiple accounts. You notice the whole check, not the outline.  Why was this option removed?  IS there a way to get the whole check to change color? I use QB Pro 2016. Thanks! 

QuickBooks Team

Great to see you here, @Dee125,

Thanks for adding to the conversation. I appreciate your insights about the check colors in QuickBooks Desktop.

When you update an account or register's display, it does not change the shade of the checks under it.

While the preference to change the check display is currently unavailable, QuickBooks gives you a way to distinguish these transactions from others. The check outline has the same color as the account.

Please feel free to contact me if you need further assistance with Quickbooks. I'm here to help. Have a great day!

Established Member

The outline color isn't that obvious.  Could you make a suggestion that the actual color of the check could be changed?  Somehow, an inactive checking account was selected, and we couldn't find checks in the check register.  We finally found them in the old account.  A different check background would have really stood out, to begin with.  Thank you.

QuickBooks Team

I appreciate you for sharing your idea here in the QuickBooks Community, @LindaLa.

I understand how changing the check outline color would be helpful for you. It's our priority to provide products and services that suit your business needs.

I'll make sure to take note of this and will notify you once we receive product enhancement update about the availability of this option. In the meantime, you can visit our QuickBooks New Features by clicking the Help menu bar, then select New Features Tour. This way, you'll be updated with the latest news and updates including product improvements. 

For future reference, you may want to check this article: Use and customize form templates.

Please know that you're always welcome to post if you have any other questions. I'll be around to help. Have a good day! 

Established Member

JanyRoseB,

You wrote that you could see how a different outline color would help.  That wasn't my suggestion.  There is already an outline color, but it isn't that obvious.  It's like opening your checkbook when you just changed designs--you stop and look.  That's what a different background color would do.  It would make you stop and wonder why the check was orange instead of light blue.  Then you would discover that you were in a closed, or at least the wrong account.

Thank you,

LindaLa