cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
lisadegraaf1030
Level 1

Is there a way to change the currency on an account after it has been set-up but does not have transactions entered?

4 Comments 4
Anton Bondar
Level 2

Is there a way to change the currency on an account after it has been set-up but does not have transactions entered?

Hello!

You cannot change the currency setting of an existing bank account.

You will have to create new USD then de-activate the old one.

I suggest you set an account number for the new account immediately next to the old one, and use the same word name with (newUSD) added - then edit the existing one to add (old)

IamjuViel
QuickBooks Team

Delighted to have you here, @lisadegraaf1030.

@Anton Bondar is correct! Currently, the ability to change the currency of the account that you've set is no longer available.

Here's how to put the account as inactive.

1. Go to Accounting menu.
  2. Choose Chart of Accounts.
  3. Locate the account in question.
  4. Click the drop-down arrow in the Actions column.
  5. Select Make Inactive.

Once the account is inactive, it will not be displayed in your Chart of Accounts list. It will not also be included in your reports.

You can always visit us here in the Community if you have other questions about managing your accounts in QuickBooks Online. I'm always here to help.

WillCW
Level 1

Hi

How do you "edit the existing one to add (old)" ?  Can you provide further details pls.

Thanks

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi, @WillCW.

I'm here to help provide clarification about changing your account's currency in QuickBooks. 

You'll need to have the same currency if you want to merge the existing account to the old one. To be able to change the currency, you'll have to delete and recreate the account instead.

You can follow the steps provided by my colleague @juVielL on how to deactivate the old account you've set up. Once done, create a new one using the correct currency.

That should do it. Should you need other references for future use, you may also visit our help site for information: Help articles for QuickBooks Online.

If you have other questions about your account, do let me know. I'm here to help however I can.

Need to get in touch?

Contact us