cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
miheath85
Level 1

Is there a way to search for duplicate transactions if they have already been entered into Quickbooks?

Many were entered due to a disconnect and reconnect issue when the wrong accounts were input. So there are dozens of duplicates and I'd love to know if there is a way to search for duplicate transactions that were entered on the same day for the same amount.
6 Comments 6
MichaelDL
QuickBooks Team

Is there a way to search for duplicate transactions if they have already been entered into Quickbooks?

Greetings, @miheath85.

While there isn't a method for specifically searching for duplicate transactions, you can utilize Filter and Sorting tools to quickly spot these items like so:

Filtering and Sorting to Find Duplicates

1. Begin by navigating to the bank account where the issue is occurring. Click the Gear icon (⚙) > Chart of Accounts > View Register next to the bank.
  2. In the Bank Register, click the Filter menu to open it. Narrow the list of transactions by searching for a single month or quarter.
  3. Click either the Payment or Deposit column to sort the list by their Amounts. They'll automatically be sub-sorted by their Date.
  4. Now you can search for duplicate Amounts/Dates to consider them for deleting.

We offer additional information on this in our guide on filtering or searching for transactions in QuickBooks Online. I've included a brief video demonstration below:

Using these instructions, you can locate and remove any duplicate transactions that may have resulted from your account being reconnected. Please let me know if there's anything else I can do to help you succeed today. Thanks for coming to the Community, wishing you and your business a great week ahead.

Bluemonkey
Level 2

I have numerous duplicate transactions all throughout my accounts in Quickbooks. I don't know why. There's even a duplicate account, and none of my balances in Quickbooks match the ones in my bank account because of duplicates (and months of missing transactions as well.) I am baffled by this software, especially after transitioning from the Microsoft Money software, which was so much easier to use. In that program, I could search for duplicate transactions, and it would show me all of the doubles in my Money account and allow me to select which to delete (or to approve, if I just happened to make two identical deposits or withdrawals on the same day.) I would strongly recommend adding this function. I've been trying to use this software for two years and I'm about ready to give up.

Kristine Mae

I appreciate the points you're making, Bluemonkey.

For now, you'll want to follow my colleague @MichaelDL's suggestion to find duplicate transactions.

Please know that we're here to make sure your voice will be heard. I'll send feedback to my manager regarding your insights. You can send feedback as well by clicking the Gear icon, then choosing Feedback. Most of our features/updates are results of feedback provided by our customers/users.

If you have other concerns, don't hesitate to post in the Community. 

di27
Level 1

It would be great to be able to search for duplicated check numbers. At the very least, it would be great if you allowed batch deletion of transactions. With your solution, I'm spending days of work going through and deleting duplicate transactions that occurred because your software didn't work properly..
Rose-A

Thanks for looping in, di27.

You've got me here today to help you search and delete for duplicated check numbers in QuickBooks Online.

Finding the duplicate check numbers in QuickBooks is quick and easy. You can use the Advanced Search feature in QuickBooks in finding these duplicates.

Here's how:

1. Click the Magnifying Glass at the top and click Advanced Search.
  2. Choose Checks.
  3. Enter the Check Number and hit Search.
  4. Click to open the transaction.
  5. Click More at the bottom and hit Delete.

You can get more details in this article about searching a transaction in QuickBooks: https://quickbooks.intuit.com/learn-support/en-us/customer-topics/how-to-search-for-transactions/01/....

For account discussion, feel free to reach out to our QuickBooks Online Support. Here's how to contact us:

1. Sign into your QuickBooks Online Company.
  2. Click (?) Help at the upper right corner.
  3. Select Contact US on the pop-up.
  4. Enter a brief description of your concern then hit Continue.
  5. Click Get a callback.
  6. Enter your contact information.
  7. Select Call me.

Feel free to drop a reply below if you have further check number or other queries in QuickBooks. Have a good one.

medcare
Level 2

There should absolutely be an easy way to flag duplicates.  This is not a difficult task for a computer and should absolutely be available in a software at this price point that has been around for a LONG TIME.

Need to get in touch?

Contact us