cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Visit this post for a list of recent banking issues in QuickBooks Online.
Graeme73
Level 1

Problem connecting to RBS Bank Account

Hi,

Usually Quickbooks works very well for me but I am currently having an issue with QB connecting to my RBS Business Account to pull through Balance information and transaction information.  I'm getting error "163" and it's been like this for a few days.

My accountant tells me its a known issue with RBS accounts.

Is anyone else having a similar problem with connecting to an RBS account?

And does anyone have any information about when it will be fixed?

Thanks.

25 REPLIES 25
AshH
QuickBooks Team

Hi Graeme73.

Thanks for reaching out to Community. I can certainly see how it would be frustrating if the connection has been having issues for a few days now.

We have had a few issues recently with other customer reporting the same error message (163) which has been raised to our Banking Engineering team. We are working to get this resolved as quickly as possible so you should be able to have your connection back up and running soon.

As an alternative, you would be able to upload a CSV file of your transactions from your banks website. Once you have this csv file you will be able to upload it in QuickBooks under the Banking page.

Let me know if there is anything else I can help with :)

Graeme73
Level 1

Hi.

Thanks for your very prompt response.  I'll be patient for the next few days, and hopefully the problem will be resolved.

If not fixed by early next week, I will look at updating QB with the banking information via a CSV file.

Thanks for your help.

Graeme

Anonymous
Not applicable

You're welcome :)

Anonymous
Not applicable

I've had the same problem for the last 5 days and support are not responding to my emails, support ticket [removed].

All I seem to get is instructions to re-enter my credentials, this makes no difference and appears to be a level 1 support delay tactic. I was told that my issue was being escalated but no action or communication, pretty poor state of affairs really.

Steve

Graeme73
Level 1

Yeah, I logged into my RBS digital banking to check. I've seen issues before if rbs is displaying a message you need to confirm that you've seen before proceeding to your account details.

Nothing like that on this occasion so the issue appears to lie with quickbooks.

Hope they fix it soon. Only way round it seems to be a manual upload via csv. 

Graeme73
Level 1

Now seems like a widespread issue.  Since making my original post here, I now see many other threads with people having this exact same issue with their RBS accounts.  It's been over a week now that it hasn't been working.

I've done a manual update  via CSV and matched transactions but am slightly concerned about having to rely on that as a means of keeping things up to date.  And I am unsure what will happen once it does start working again.

When it does start working, will I end up with duplicate transactions that I need to deal with?

AmabilisUK
Level 1

I've tried all the usual solutions to fix this issue, including editing my sign-in details, clearing the Cache, but the issue seems to be related to QBO vs RBS.  Come on guys, this is an amazing feature of QBO and one which we all rely on.  Please post some information on how you're working to resolve this issue so that we don't feel abandoned!

Graeme73
Level 1

I completely agree. 

This functionality is great and has been very reliable for me up to now.

Very much hoping a fix is implemented sooner rather than later. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Guys,

I can understand the frustration this is causing with all of these banking issues.

Please understand that this has been raised to our banking engineers and it being dealt with as a matter of urgency.

Don't worry about duplicates,  you will be able to exclude these.

Let me know if there is anything else i can help with.

Graeme73
Level 1

Thanks for the update and glad to hear this is being actively looked at.

Please let us know when it's fixed. 

Graeme

AmabilisUK
Level 1

As this issue seems to be affecting Institutions within the RBS group, I wondered if the problem was related to the Security Certificate issued by DigiCert Inc to RBS on 26th March to authenticate users.  Online Banking (rbsdigital.com) would still work on a per user basis when they accessed their bank online, but if QB were using an outdated Certificate to authenticate connections, this would affect all users of QBO and their connections to RBS Group companies via QBO.  Is this a side effect of Ring-Fencing Changes that are afoot while RBS is migrated to Adam & Company PLC?

Probably not, who knows?

Thanks goes to Jay, contributor dfrtyj564h4wter, for highlighting possible changes to Online Banking during this transition.

AlanB1
Level 1

We were OK until today but NW changed login info (it's changed back to its original number given that sale of buisness accounts to W&G not now happening).

However, QB advised to disconnect and given that I can't now reconnect means that data for the account has now gone unless it has been matched/added.

Very frustrating and, as you say, probale duplicate entries on reconnect (?)

AshH
QuickBooks Team

Hi AlanB1.

I do understand this is frustrating, regarding the banking we are working to get this back up and connected as soon as possible.

When the bank does get connected you will have the option to exclude any transactions that have already been added which will prevent duplicates.

We do have a post regarding the banking issues we are looking into, the link can be found here, we will be rolling out updates as soon as we hear anything.

joannalouise
Level 1

Having the same problem! In fact we only signed up to Quickbooks about 2 months ago and every time we log on we have an error message and its normally the 163 error!

Very frustrating and unacceptable service!

AlanB1
Level 1

The added problem is that I can’t upload csv file either (which I could before).  Is that part of the overall problem?

Graeme73
Level 1

I haven't had any issues manually uploading via CSV.  I'll be doing it again tonight (if the banking connectivity issue isn't fixed) so will look out for any issues.

AshH
QuickBooks Team

Hi Guys.

Thanks for your patience with the banking issues. We are still working on things but will keep you posted on The Community page.

@AlanB1, would you be able to give me a little more information about the issues you've been experiencing uploading a .csv file. We shouldn't have any problems in uploading a csv file, the only issue is with the direct banking feeds. Are you getting a particular error message or are the transaction just not coming through?

AlanB1
Level 1

Invalid file fomat!!

But was defo a csv file.

Isn't the problem that I disconnected the account and therefore nowhere to put data?

Graeme73
Level 1

Seems to be working. QB just updated my banking details and pulled transactions through. Hurrah! 

Anonymous
Not applicable

It seems to be partly fixed, I got my transactions through at last, but the regular transactions are all in the wrong categories.

AlanB1
Level 1

Looks as if it's all sorted. Great news as it's something that I'd hate not to have now.

Anonymous
Not applicable

It appears to be broken again. For the last day it has been reporting that I am logged in to my bank elsewhere, when I am not.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Balhamrainbow,

I can certainly help you with this.

The message displayed advising you are still logged into your account is due to the security settings on RBS Group servers. This covers both Natwest and RBS bank accounts and their online banking systems.

RBS have a system that recognises any session for a period of 15-30 mins after you have logged out and this can cause the error to appear in QuickBooks Online if you attempt to update or connect the bank during this time.

If you are getting an error message stating you are logged into your bank and you bank with RBS, please sign into the banking website through your app or browser and follow the log out process correctly and in full.

Once completed, please then close the app or browser completely. Leave it for 30-45 mins for the RBS system to register the log out sequence before opening an Incognito or InPrivate browser to log into QuickBooks Online and attempt the update of the bank account.

Let me know if you are able to update the bank after following these steps.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for your help, I think you are right.

However, I hadn't logged into RBS since yesterday, but when I logged in and out this morning QBO then worked after 10 mins, so it seems they were holding the session from yesterday open at their end (odd, because they time users out after 10 mins).

Perhaps this is a new bug introduced at RBS, I haven't had this problem before for more than the 10 minute timeout.

Steve.

Need to get in touch?

Contact us