cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Experienced Member

QB changes my opening balance in reconcile after a balanced reconciliation

Ok, this is maddening.  I have 3 QB files (2017).  two for businesses and 1 for personal accounts.  no issue on the company files but my personal checking and savings accounts have the same problem every month.  I reconcile...and to do so I have to make an adjustment by adding in a bank fee because the now states opening balance is NOT what I reconciled to the last month.  So I make the adjustment for the current month, get this month to balance to the correct ending balance per my bank statement and then when I go to reconcile the next month, the opening balance IS NOT the same number as what I reconciled to the prior month!!!  the numbers are small and fairly irrelevant, however maddening that this keeps happening.  Help????!!! 

6 Comments
BRC
Established Community Backer ***

Re: QB changes my opening balance in reconcile after a balanced reconciliation

The opening balance you see is the sum of all cleared transactions in the account.

If you reconcile with a given ending balance, and then later when you reconcile again and that is not the opening balance, then someone altered one or more reconciled transaction amounts.

Avoid this by not altering the amounts of any reconciled transactions.

Experienced Member

would appreciate advice, but just stick to the issue.  never said anyone touched or altered anything.  this is as straightforward and simple as it sounds.  something in QB is changing this every month.  the variances are different each month, small but they are changing.  in my personal checking savings and another savings.  some months some of those accounts don't even have a transaction...but the change still occurs with the next reconciliation.   please help!

QuickBooks Team

Let's check to see if there's an issue with your QuickBooks data, getrung.

As you mentioned, the balance changes even if there are no transactions or alterations, so we'll proceed to check for damaged data. Please run the Verify utility to check any data issues. If it detects one, you can run the Rebuild utility to fix it. Here's an article with steps to guide you through the process: Resolve data damage on your company file.

We're always around if you have other questions.

BRC
Established Community Backer ***

RE: would appreciate advice, but just stick to the issue. never said anyone touched or altered anything.

You don't need to be arrogant about it.  You're here asking for free advise.

If you create a custom transaction detail report that is filtered to include every single cleared transaction that uses one of the bank accounts in question  (and includes no additional detail), for all dates, with a total at the bottom, it will be the opening balance you see when you reconcile.  It is that simple.

And, if the opening balance is changing from your last closing balance, then that means one or more of the cleared transactions changed.

The way to find out which cleared transactions changed since your last reconcile is to use the Audit Trail report and filter it accordingly.

Experienced Member

Its not arrogance, its people spending their time (and thus causing me to spend mine) on irrelevant data.  Much like your solution, it has nothing to do with the problem.  I don’t speak just to be heard.  And I certainly don’t want to waste anyone’s time.

Again, I see this issue when there is a month with ZERO transactions.  Sa child’s savings account, has $2800ish in it.  banks says it earned $.03 which I have to add, but the opening balance in QB does not match what I closed it at.  It was $.45 less. This is something with QB, a bug or something.  Having programmed database I understand this a bit.  Being an actuary by trade, I understand accounting.  If I close the books for a month, having to input a bank service charge for the few cents it is off to balance it, it balances to the correct closing amount.  When I reconcile the next month, zero transactions or edits, it tells me the opening balance is different than the last closing balance.  If there is no human edit or input, it is s/w.

Hoping someone can help.  Thank you.

QuickBooks Team

Hello there, getrung.

I came across your other post about the same concern. My suggestion is getting in touch with our phone team for further investigation. They can utilize more tools to help us know the cause of the changing beginning balance.

For their directory and contact details, I recommend opening my original answer.

The beginning balance issue

Let me know how it goes or if you have additional questions. I'm always here to offer my assistance. Take care always!