Level 2

QB not finding transactions to match with banking when they are in QB

Solved
Best answer January 18, 2019

Best Answers
David-212915
QuickBooks Team

A warm aloha back to you, Anny. You're most welcome, as well. 

So that I'm on the same page, when you refer to these transactions being in the Bank feed, do you mean that you're seeing them in For Review? If so, you may want to consider excluding them since you've already reconciled. I'm including an article that provides the steps and includess a section on how it affects a reconcile: How To Exclude Expenses From Downloaded Bank Transactions. This would result in them no longer showing up there.

Should you have questions about this, I'm just a few clicks away. Cheering you to continued success. 

View solution in original post

42 Comments 42
David-212915
QuickBooks Team

Hello @Anny,

Thanks for joining the Community. I'd be happy to lend a hand with matching transactions.

Just to clarify, if you select the transaction in the Bank feed and choose Find match, are the transactions missing? The following is a couple of screenshots to serve as an example:

If they're missing, there are some things that I'd recommend checking. First, it would be good to confirm that they're in the account by selecting Go to Register on the Banking page. 

Should you locate them in the register, the next step would be to verify that they're not matched to another downloaded transaction or have been reconciled. There will be two Green squares in the Reconcile status column if they've been matched. Additionally, an R will signify that it's reconciled. Both of these will prevent a transaction from being able to be matched. I've included a screenshot as a reference:

For information on this, please see the following article: How To Add And Match Downloaded Banking Transactions

In case these transactions are in the register and don't have anything preventing them from being matched, I suggest clearing the cache of your browser. This is stored in order speed up loading times, but can impede processes and cause unexpected behavior. I'm attaching an article that goes over this and includes the steps to perform this action: Delete Or Disable Cache And Temporary Internet Files In Your Web Browser.

I want to ensure that you're able to match these transactions, so please let me know how it goes by posting a comment below. Hoping this response finds you with a smile.

Anny
Level 2

Aloha David, 

So thankful for your response. It turns out that many of these have been reconciled, but they keep appearing in the bank feed. Is there a way to get them to not show up there anymore? They seem to be reappearing after being reconciled. Your help would be most appreciated.

David-212915
QuickBooks Team

A warm aloha back to you, Anny. You're most welcome, as well. 

So that I'm on the same page, when you refer to these transactions being in the Bank feed, do you mean that you're seeing them in For Review? If so, you may want to consider excluding them since you've already reconciled. I'm including an article that provides the steps and includess a section on how it affects a reconcile: How To Exclude Expenses From Downloaded Bank Transactions. This would result in them no longer showing up there.

Should you have questions about this, I'm just a few clicks away. Cheering you to continued success. 

Anny
Level 2

Thanks so much! I'm finally able to clear all the transactions. Your help has been invaluable. 

David-212915
QuickBooks Team

Hello again, @Anny,

It's been my pleasure! I'm glad to hear that this is resolved for you and all transactions have been cleared.

The Community always has your back, so please let me know if I can ever of further assistance. Hope you have a wonderful week ahead. 

LizLeague
Level 1

Hi DavidSC,

Hoping you can help me with a similar problem.  In the For Review section of Banking, I have two deposits that are not matching up to the associated transaction on my P&L.  When I click on the Match button the transactions (Journal Entries) are not showing up to match.  The Journal Entries are not matched to anything else and the account has not been reconciled.  Any thoughts on how to rectify this?

Thanks

Jim

JonpriL

Hi @LizLeague,

In QuickBooks, there are reasons why you were not able to match your transactions. Let's go over them and get your journal entries matched.

To start, let's verify the total amount of selected transactions is the same as the total amount of the downloaded transactions.

If transactions have different amounts, you can select the Resolve Difference option to open the Add resolving transaction fields. Then, you can now add the Category and Amount of the resolving transaction until the difference equals to zero. If needed, you can use the Add new transaction button to add multiple resolving transactions.

If you still can't match the transactions, let's also check if the transactions were entered using the same bank account.

I've attached an article you can read to learn more about matching downloaded transactions: Add and Match Downloaded Banking Transactions?

Let me know if you have any other questions by leaving a comment below. I'm always around to help.

LizLeague
Level 1

Thanks for the response.  Will resolving the difference actually create a duplicate entry on the P&L?

AlcaeusF

Hello there, LizLeague.

Thank you for getting back to us here in the Community. Allow me to step in and answer your follow-up question.

Matching transactions using the steps in the article provided above will not create duplicate entries on your QuickBooks account. In case you need to revisit the article, I'm adding it below for your reference:

Add and match downloaded banking transactions.

Thanks for dropping in The Community looks forward to hear from you.

somar4u
Level 1

Bank account journal not appearing in match transaction list, and only the bank download appears.

Alessandra_B
QuickBooks Team

Hello there, @somar4u.

Let me provide some details about matching your transaction and help you from there.

When creating journal entries to match your downloaded transactions, you need to follow the accounts used. You can open the transaction journal to show which account goes under the Debit and Credit column.

To open the transaction journal, you may follow these steps:

1. Open the downloaded bank transaction.
  2. Click on More.
  3. Select Transaction Journal.

From there, you may copy the accounts and create your journal entry. Once your journal matches the transaction, it'll show "1 record found" under the Category Match column in the Banking page.

Feel free to read this article for more information: Add and Match Downloaded Banking Transactions.

Please let me know if you have any other questions. I'll only be a post away.

somar4u
Level 1

The issue is the check journal does not open in the window above the downloaded bank statement info 

MaryGraceS

Hi there, @somar4u.

I'm here to help share additional inputs to the steps and information provided by my colleague, Alessandra_B to get this taken care of today. 

You can open the transaction journal on the Banking page if the transactions are accepted or matched, and are moved to the Reviewed tab. Let me guide you how: 

1. On the left pane, select the Banking menu.
  2. On the Banking page, select the Reviewed tab. 
  3. In the ADDED OR MATCHED column, click the Deposit: link.
  4. Click on More.
  5. Select Transaction journal.

That should do it. Please know that I'm just a post away if you have any other questions about creating check journal in QuickBooks. It'll always be my pleasure to help. Have a great day ahead.

KaylasCraftyKreations
Level 1

I am very new and trying to figure out how to get a match to a receipt off amazon that wasn’t purchased from my bank listed. My business items are bought off my husbands card and I reimburse him for these. Is there anyway to get a match for these receipts?

RaymondJayO

Yes, there's a way to get a match for your receipts in QuickBooks Online (QBO), @KaylasCraftyKreations. I'm here to walk you through the steps. 

Since the receipts weren't purchased from your bank, you can match them if the transactions are properly recorded in the program. First, you'll want to record the business items that were bought off from your husband's card by creating a journal entry. I'd suggest consulting your accountant to determine the specific expense account you'll need to use. Please make sure to switch from Business view to Accountant view. Once verified, proceed with the steps below. 

1. Go to the + New button from the left menu. 
  2. Select Journal entry under Other
  3. Set the Journal date
  4. On the first line, choose the expense account for the purchase.
  5. In the Debits column, enter the purchase amount. 
  6. Select Partner's equity or Owner's equity on the second line. 
  7. Enter the same purchase amount in the Credits column.
  8. Click Save and close.

The screenshot below shows you the last six steps. 

RecordJournalEntry.PNG

Second, you can record the reimbursements as checks or expenses. Just make sure to select your bank account to reimburse the personal funds. For detailed instructions, see the Step 2: Decide how you want to reimburse the money section through this article: Pay For Business Expenses With Personal Funds.

Third, let's go to the For Review tab so you can match the receipts. I'll guide you how.   

1. Go to Banking from the left menu. 
  2. Select For Review
  3. Review the Record found
  4. Select the link beside the date to get more details.
  5. If the match is correct, click Match.
  6. You can click Find other records if the match isn't correct. 

For your reference, view the Match an existing transaction section through this article: Matching and Categorizing Bank Transactions

Once done, it's a great idea to reconcile your account monthly. This ensures your account in QBO matches your bank statement. To learn more about this process, visit this article: Reconciling An Account.

I'll be right here to help if you need further assistance. Have a great rest of your day, @KaylasCraftyKreations.

naguilar
Level 1

Hi, I was wondering if you can expand on this idea to me. I'm having a similar problem where I can't match two transactions to one record, my issue is due to payroll tax and are unable to modify the transaction QB has recorded for me.

I was having issues with the e-file/e-payment so I manually had to make the payment through the EFTPS website, but realized shortly after that I didn't add up the numbers correctly and had to make a second payment to cover the difference. The next day the e-file was finally fixed and I was able to record the transaction (Payment 1 + Payment 2 = QB Payment). Normally the find match function will let you add the transaction and resolve the difference, but only if the transaction on the banking side is larger than the recorded amount (opposite problem I have). Any suggestions? I need them to match so I can reconcile later, but since they are a tax payment I don't want to make a journal entry that will get me out of balance.

JenPhoto
Level 1

I am having the same kind of trouble.

My bank register has a categorized payment to my amex.

My amex has a payment listed 1 day prior, but it has no "C", "R" or green squares in the box you show. It's just blank. I've tried changing it to "C" to see if that made it show up for a match, but it doesn't.

If I un-categroize the payment in my bank account so that it shows up for review and then I click "find match" - nothing.

So, I was hopeful to find the amex payment in the amex review tab but it's not there, either.

The amex payment does not show in categorized, review or excluded, but it's in the register.

If I uncategorize a different payment in amex so that it shows up for review, when I click "find match" it gives me 4 choices - the correct bank payment and the other 3 bank payments that would match the 3 amex transactions in the register, but those amex transactions won't show for review to be matched.

Wow - that's confusing. I hope I said it all right.

Can someone help me?

JenPhoto
Level 1

Aloha :)

I am having the same kind of trouble.

My bank register has a categorized payment to my amex.

My amex has a payment listed 1 day prior, but it has no "C", "R" or green squares in the box you show. It's just blank. I've tried changing it to "C" to see if that made it show up for a match, but it doesn't.

If I un-categroize the payment in my bank account so that it shows up for review and then I click "find match" - nothing.

So, I was hopeful to find the amex payment in the amex review tab but it's not there, either.

The amex payment does not show in categorized, review or excluded, but it's in the register.

If I uncategorize a different payment in amex so that it shows up for review, when I click "find match" it gives me 4 choices - the correct one and the other 3 that would match the 3 amex transactions in the register, but those transactions won't show for review to be matched.

Wow - that's confusing. I hope I said it all right.

Can someone help me?

ReymondO
QuickBooks Team

Thanks for joining in this thread, @JenPhoto.

Let share with the possible options on how you can find a match with your downloaded bank transactions in QuickBooks.

Once you connect your bank and credit card accounts, QuickBooks automatically downloads your recent transactions. Then, it will show you a match if you already recorded any similar transaction inside QuickBooks. If it can’t find a match, QuickBooks will start a new record for you.

To find a match, simply click the downloaded transaction and click the Find match button. If none are correct, select Find other matches to find other possible matches.

Then, make sure to select All in the Show drop-down arrow. Also, select the correct span of the date when the transactions are downloaded. Once you find the transaction, check the box and select Save.

After you match or add, downloaded transactions are recorded to your accounts in QuickBooks. The record reviewed from your bank goes to the Categorized tab. If you need to re-categorize a transaction and move it to a different account, select Undo. This sends the transaction back to the For review tab.

When you're done reviewing your statement, you can now reconcile them so they would match your actual bank and credit card statements.

Please let me know if there's anything else I can do to be of assistance. Have a great weekend.

JenPhoto
Level 1

I really appreciate the response on a Saturday! Unfortunately, it doesn't help me :(

I have successfully matched and balanced my bank account & 4 credit card accounts for the entire year of 2019. I only have 3 transactions that are a problem and those are the ones I'm referring to. I'm not sure how to be more clear, but the standard answer you sent doesn't help :( I understand how it all works, I'm writing about a particular problem.

There are 3 payments in my Amex register.

There are 3 payments  in my bank account that should match those.

The problem is that the amex transactions are only viewable in the register - they do not appear anywhere in the review tab, the categorized tab or the excluded tab...therefore there is no way for me to match them to bank payments.

The problem is not in my bank account: I know this because when I un-categorize a later amex payment that already has a match, I am offered 4 bank transaction matches for that payment (because there are 3 bank payments that match those 3 amex payments that aren't showing up).

So, it's definitely an issue with the amex payment transactions.

The only red flag I see is that in the amex register, these 3 transactions do not show a "C" or "R" and they do not have the 2 green boxes. The field is simply blank.

I am using the proper date range.

I have logged out and back in.

I have cleared my cache and cookies.

I hope someone can help, these 3 transactions are holding me up from reconciling 2 of my 5 accounts for the entire year because on top of everything they are from the beginning of 2019.

I hope that re-explanation helps.

Thank you so much :)

JenPhoto
Level 1

I just sent a lengthy reply but I see no post. I hope it's updating. If it didn't go through, will you please do me the favor of taking the time to read what I wrote in my initial request for help? I have categorized & matched an entire year of a bank account and 4 other credit card accounts...I know how to use this and I know how it works. The trouble I am having is with just THREE transactions on ONE credit card account. They are in the register but wont' show up in review to be matched with the bank account payments. The only red flag I see is that the box in the register that has an "C" "R" or green boxes is actually empty for these 3 transactions. Thank you so much.

JenoP

Thanks for the getting back here and sharing additional details about these transactions, JenPhoto.

This simply means the 3 transactions are not downloaded at all since they don't show up in any of the tabs. You'll only see a C status if the transaction is already tagged as cleared, while R stands for reconciled. Both statuses will exclude the transaction when finding a match. 

In this case, you'll need to manually update your bank account to get those transactions downloaded. Here's how:

1. Go back to the Online Banking screen and open the account.
  2. Click the Update button in the upper-right hand corner.

If you see a message about additional authentication, follow the onscreen instructions. Not all banks require this, but others do for additional layer so security. A notification will show up when the update finishes. The number of transactions in the blue account tile will increase if QuickBooks downloads new transactions. 

Once done, go back to the For Review tab and check if you can already see them. Then, proceed to making the match if they're already showing up.

You can also import the missing transactions as a CSV file. Let me share these articles for more details: 

Please add another reply if you have follow-up questions. 

JenPhoto
Level 1

Hi there, thank you!

I had already updated banking several times. I did it again and no change.

I just have a few more questions regarding upload:

1. Won't this cause a duplicate entry in my register? If so, I would simply delete the old one?
  2. How did these get in my register to begin with if they weren't downloaded? I did not enter them.
  3. These are not the only transactions in the register that have nothing in that column (no C, R or green boxes). When I look at categorized transactions for my amex card in a specific date range I am missing 39 transactions compared to amex's records. There are also 39 records in the amex register that do not have anything in that column. It is also probably important to note that many of the missing transactions are in the end of 2018, but that has already been reconciled???

My assumption is that I should:

- use your instructions to upload those 39 records only and delete the original duplicates (should I delete the dups first?)

Is this correct? I worry that October, November and Dec 2018 were already reconciled...I don't know how this will affect what or how to undo it if I mess it up lol.

I also don't want to wind up having to fix something that I mess up  so I'm wondering if I should just suck it up and wait to call support tomorrow so they can take over my screen and advise :/

Any thoughts are SO welcome.

Thanks so much for your help

JenPhoto
Level 1

Actually, those 39 transactions that don't have anything in that column in the register range from 01/12/2018 all the way through May of 2020. How does this happen?

Need to get in touch?

Contact us