cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
PapaArt1
Level 1

QuickBooks for Mac keeps quitting when I open a .QBO file from my desktop to import.

Edit/remove the online access from each affected account; then use the Online Banking setup to enter the appropriate information again. HTH! 

videotom
Level 1

QuickBooks for Mac keeps quitting when I open a .QBO file from my desktop to import.

This is still an ongoing issue... Even when I turn off the online banking settings, after recovering from the crash, they magically re-appear. 

I know intuit is pushing their online (and much more expensive) option, but this is ridiculous. 

FIX IT!

Angelyn_T
QuickBooks Team

Let's ensure the problem will get fixed as quickly as possible, @videotom.

I've checked that there isn't an ongoing investigation about this issue. To resolve the problem, you can start by uninstalling and reinstalling your QuickBooks.

If reinstalling your QuickBooks doesn't fix the issue, you can do the clean install. This helps remove QuickBooks with the installation files that were left behind to reinstall the program from a clean state.

For further details, you can check this article: Reinstall QuickBooks for Mac using clean install.

In case you have any other QuickBooks concerns in the future, you can read our help articles: Help articles for QuickBooks Desktop for Mac.

Stay posted if you have any other questions. I'm always here to help!

lakemillie6
Level 1

I am also having this issue.  I am running Quickbooks for Mac 2019, I upgraded from 2016 because of this issue.  Immediately after opening a .qbo file from my bank, I crash.

I can open a personal checking download from my bank without crashing and a download from my Discover card without crashing.  But, when I try to open any other download from my bank (loans), I crash.

I have spoke in length with both Quickbooks and with my bank, with no solution.

When I go to, 'Edit Account', then to 'Online Settings', the option to 'Download Transactions:' is grayed out.  I have tried numerous times to do an 'Online Banking Setup'.

I have done a clean install of Quickbooks, twice, without a repair to this issue.

Is there a fix to this issue, yet?

Charies_M

Hi there, lakemillie6.

I appreciate you for sharing such detailed information about your experience with QuickBooks Desktop for Mac crashing after opening .qbo file.

Since you've done all the recommended steps shared by my colleagues above, I suggest contacting our QuickBooks Care Support for further investigation. I understand that you've already tried reaching them out. However, they are more capable of taking deeper investigation and can initiate a screen share so they can take a closer look at the issue.

Here's how you can reach them:

1. Click Help at the top menu and select QuickBooks Desktop Help.
  2. In the Have a Question? window, click Contact us.
  3. Enter the details of your concern and click Continue.
  4. Choose how you want to reach them and enter the needed information.​

I want this to be taken care of. I'm still here until this gets resolved.

lakemillie6
Level 1

Thank you, Charles, for your reply.  I followed your advice.  I spent 2 hours and 5 minutes on the phone with Intuit/Quickbooks.  I gave them remote access and in the end, they were not able to fix this issue.  They have setup a time for the advanced team to call me back to address this.  I will try and write an update once I hear back from them.

Foilking
Level 1

I agree, this is happening BEFORE I choose the file.  As soon as I choose "downloaded transactions" it crashes.  And, I just updated to the new 2020 version thinking it might help.

Rea_M

Hello there, Foilking.

I appreciate you for updating your QuickBooks Desktop for Mac to its latest release.

With your newly updated software, let's use the Verify and Rebuild utility tool to fix this and for you to choose your downloaded transactions. This way, you'll be able to identify and remove common data matters. Before we start, please secure a backup copy of your company file.

1. Go to the File menu, then select Utilities.
  2. Choose Verify Data.
  3. If a problem is detected, go back to Utilities.
  4. Select Rebuild Data

In case the problem persists after performing the steps above, kindly follow the solution provided in this article: Troubleshoot Crash Catcher. Continue troubleshooting starting Solution 4: Run your computer in Safe Boot mode.

If you want to clean install or clean uninstall QuickBooks for Mac, you can refer to this article: Reinstall QuickBooks for Mac using clean install. It also contains steps on how to remove QuickBooks PLIST files.

Please let me know if you have other concerns. I'm just around to help.

revivallandmgmt
Level 1

Still an issue for me after countless days of Intuit having my files, crashes continue.  

JessT

I can imagine how this affects your business, revivallandmgmt.

I would suggest contacting our Support team again, so they'll know that your file is still not fixed. We're unable to ask it from here since this a public forum.

If you have other questions, please don't hesitate to go back to this thread.

lakemillie6
Level 1

After many conversations with Intuit and with my bank, I figured out the solution on my own.

Right click on your downloaded .qbo file and go to 'open with.'  Then open the .qbo file with a text edit program.  Find the <ACCTTYPE>OTHER line.  It may read something other than the word OTHER.  Change this word, in this case OTHER, to the type of file you need.  In my case it was CREDITLINE, SAVINGS, CHECKING, etc.  Example... <ACCTTYPE>SAVINGS

Then save and reopen in QuickBooks.  This worked for me, I hope it will work for you, also.

revivallandmgmt
Level 1

Unfortunately not.  Thanks for the info however.  I'll get with Wells Fargo tomorrow to see if they have

any solutions.

Cheers.

Need to get in touch?

Contact us