cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Frequent Explorer **

Quickbooks Desktop Versions and trouble connecting to Chase

Hi QB Community!

I am aware of the Chase issues with QBO, and had a client be told by Intuit that to import Chase CC transactions when employee cards are involved they needed to set up a Parent account and make all the employee cards sub-accounts. I have been doing that for my clients and it is working great.

I now have a client that is having issues with the desktop version. I am wondering if anyone has tried the same solution and if it worked. The only solution I have found on the forums is for the client to download their transactions directly from chase and then import them.

Thank you!

3 Comments
Highlighted
QuickBooks Team

Re: Quickbooks Desktop Versions and trouble connecting to Chase

Thanks for stopping by the Community for help with this, @StephanieA. You've come to the right place. What you mentioned for QBO, needing to set up a parent account and make all of the employee cards sub-accounts is my recommendation as QBO and the desktop version, at their core, function the same way. This also includes the way online banking and account hierarchy work. By moving forward with this, you should be similarly successful with the desktop version as you are with QBO.

In the event you are unable to set up employee cards as sub-accounts, you can instead manually import transactions as you mentioned earlier. Just in case you end up needing to do this, I've included a link for an article to help with doing so: Import web connect (.qbo) files.

If you have any questions about this or anything else QuickBooks, don't hesitate to reach out to me. Your success is what I strive for, so you can always find me here in the Community.

After years, I am also now having trouble connecting to Chase. Not only can I no longer directly connect, but I can no longer download transactions from the Chase site and import, as you suggest here. I am attaching the error message. Moreover, inside the Quickbooks application, the 'Download Transactions' tab now takes 20 seconds to even pop up. All other functions work as normal.

I was told that I buy an upgrade to the latest desktop version, with no guarantees it would work. 

I would greatly appreciate your help in resolving this matter. Thank you.

QuickBooks Team

Hi there, Frustratedlongtimecustomer.

You came to the right place. Downloading transactions in QuickBooks Desktop (QBDT) is my specialty, so let me lend you a hand in resolving this error and get you back on track.

Just to clarify, did you download an IIF file from the Chase website? If you are, I'd suggest you download a .QBO file (WebConnect) instead, and import it to QBDT. Although misleading in name, it's the recommended file for both Desktop and Online when bringing in bank transactions.

The following steps will help you with the process.

Download transactions from your bank's website:

1. Log into your bank's website.
  2. Follow your bank's online process to download your transactions.
  3. Choose the transactions from specific accounts, or select the date range.
  4. Select the .QBO file type.
  5. Take note of the file name and location of the downloaded file, so you can easily find it to upload.

Upload the file to QuickBooks Desktop:

1. Open QuickBooks.
  2. From the File menu, choose Utilities, Import, and then Web Connect Files.
  3. Click the file you saved, then hit Open.
  4. Select Use an existing QuickBooks account.
  5. Click Continue, then OK.

For additional insight about this, I recommend the following these articles:

If the issue persists, please contact the Phone Support Team so they can pull up your account in a safe environment and further assist you in importing them. Here's how you can reach them:

1. Visit the following link: QuickBooks Contact Us.
  2. Click the Product drop-down menu located before the United States icon.
  3. Choose QuickBooks Desktop, and then the version you're using.
  4. Select options for the two prompts.
  5. Click Get Phone Number.

Regarding the other concerns that you mentioned, we haven't received any reports similar to them. However, I'll report this to our engineers, so we can monitor this on our end and make sure that it won't turn into a problem that'll affect your transactions.

Additionally, I'll keep an eye out for updates and provide them as soon as they're made available to me.

Please be sure to let me know if there's anything else you need, I'm always available here for all of your QuickBooks questions. Thanks for coming to the Community and have a wonderful day.