cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
RL19
Level 1

Reconcile a bank fee

How do I reconcile a bank fee? when I enter the 30.00 in, I am always off by 30.00  Where  do I put this?

9 Comments 9
FritzF

Reconcile a bank fee

Thanks for reaching out to us in the Community, @RL19.

I'm here to share some information about reconciling a bank fee in QuickBooks Desktop (QBDT).

Just to verify, did you enter the bank fee on the Service Charge section in the Begin Reconciliation window?

113.PNG

If so, it's possible that you might have already entered these charges/fees in QBDT (i.e checks or expenses). If that's the case, you can leave that section as blank and continue the process.

You can check out this article for additional information about reconciling bank and credit card accounts in QuickBooks.

That should do it. Please let me know how it goes or if you're referring to something else so I can get back to you right away. I'm always here to help. Take care and have a great rest of the day!

RL19
Level 1

Reconcile a bank fee

Thank you! yes, I put the service charge where you show to, but I show I'm over by 30.00 when I reconcile! Not sure how to fix that

AldrinS
QuickBooks Team

Reconcile a bank fee

Greetings, RL19.

I'd like to join this discussion and add to my colleague FritzF's awesome answer.

As mentioned, it's possible that the $30 bank fee has already been entered in your QuickBooks bank register. If that is the case, it is ideal to find the expense recorded in the register and delete it. This way, you'll be able to enter the $30 fee in the Service Charge field and reconcile the account without any difference.

However, if you don't want to delete it, you could leave it as is and simply not enter the fee in the Service Charge field. Just make sure to select the expense when reconciling the account to get rid of the $30 difference in this scenario.

Lastly, please be sure to reach out to an accounting consultant to ensure these accounts are the best suite for your business. With Intuit's Find-A-ProAdvisor site, you can search for certified professionals in proximity to your ZIP code that can discuss options more personal to your business's needs.

Keep in touch if you need further assistance with this, or if there's anything else I can do for you. I've got your back. Thanks for dropping by, wishing you all the best!

TDC635
Level 1

Reconcile a bank fee

I forgot to record the bank service fee in last month's reconcile. How do I add it? 

TDC635
Level 1

Reconcile a bank fee

I forgot to record the bank service fee in last month's reconcile. How do I go back to add it? Thanks.

Angelyn_T
QuickBooks Team

Reconcile a bank fee

Welcome and thank you for posting here on the Community page, @TDC635.

I have a few steps to help share with you so you'll be able add the bank service fee on your last month's reconciliation.

To add the bank service fee on the last month's reconciliation, you have to undo the entire (last month) reconciliation and reconcile your transactions again. To undo the last month's reconciliation:

1. Click on Banking at the top menu bar.
  2. Select Reconcile.
  3. Click on Undo Last Reconciliation under the Begin Reconciliation page.

Once completed, undo the reconciliation and ensure to include the bank service fee.

For additional reference, you may check these articles:

If you need further assistance with the process, you may get in touch with our Support Team.

Please don't hesitate to add a comment below if you have any other reconciliation concerns, I'll be always here to help you. Have a good day ahead!

jreh
Level 1

Reconcile a bank fee

I entered the service charge in the bounced check screens, but then I also put it in the reconciliation set up screen.  Which one do I delete?  I assume I want to delete the one associated in the reconciliation report since I would like to keep the record with the customer and I charged him a higher fee due to it.  Hopefully that makes sense!  I have Desktop Pro 2019

AlexV
QuickBooks Team

Reconcile a bank fee

I'm here to help, jreh.

You can remove the Service Charge amount in the Begin Reconciliation page. This can cause discrepancy since you've included it on the bounced check.

service charge.PNG

The Bank fee you've added on the bounced check will automatically show up when you reconcile it.

Also, adding a Customer fee to a bounced check will automatically create an invoice. That way, you can charge your customer for it.

Here are some of the articles for more details:

The QuickBooks Community is open 24/7. Reply again if you need more help.

cthomas38
Level 2

Reconcile a bank fee

I have a different problem.  Now when I enter the bank service fee as you illustrate, my posting OK goes dim.  I have using journal entries but now I am chasing AP's on my balance sheet even though I am "reconciled"

cthomas38

Need to get in touch?

Contact us