cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Visit this post for a list of recent banking issues in QuickBooks Online.
Chloe1
Level 1

Trouble uploading a CSV file

I have an error alert and am unable to upload there CSV file.  It states to delete blank columns and try again but I am not sure what I am being asked to action.

5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Chloe1,

Thank you for contacting the Community.

When you upload a CSV file to QuickBooks you need a maximum of four columns. You should have a column for Date, Description, Money In and Money Out (you can merge the money in and out into one column depending on your bank). Please also remove any commas, symbols or blank columns/rows.

Please let me know if there is anything else I can help with. :)

Chloe1
Level 1

Thank you for your quick response.

I have downloaded from HSBC online banking.  Its definitely a CSV file with the following columns - Date, Type, Merchant/Description, Debit/Credit, Balance.  5 columns total.  Do I need to delete one?

There are also quite a few rows with *********************** in the description, do these need to be deleted even though they have debit/credit against them?

Thanks,
JamesC
QuickBooks Team

Hi Chloe1,

You can remove the Type column, as i presume it says "DD" and other such abbreviations?

Regarding the rows with ****** in the description (Try expanding these columns in excel, it may then show) - if not, these are still likely going to be valid transactions, even without a valid description. Compare to your bank statement when you're confirming them into your books but i would say yes, you need to keep the rows with credit/debit against them as they will affect your balance.

You can always exclude any that you add in incorrectly from within the banking screen.

Thanks,

Photographyshaw
Level 2

When i try this, and then i see the document on screen with all the data in the correct forms. I go to select continue and it takes me back to the "import Transactions" screen as if i have to start again. What am i doing wrong???

JamesC
QuickBooks Team

Hey again Photographyshaw! ^_^

Try clearing your cache, and cookies out of the browser you're using, and then try again. If that fails; download and install google chrome, and try it on that browser - if you're already in chrome, try in an incognito window. Let's see if it's any local, browser based issues before looking at the .csv file.

Thanks,

Need to get in touch?

Contact us