cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
EThomasHIHAF
Level 2

Undeposited Funds - AR Payments Not Showing Up

As I was reconciling our grants and our bank statements, I discovered some deposits that had not been entered correctly. To correct the A/R receipts I had to delete a couple of the deposits. But this did not restore the amounts to the Undeposited Funds. I also had an A/R receipt that just did not show up in the Undeposited Funds. So these three deposits do not appear in our bank account in QuickBooks and I can't find a way to get them into the bank account. Can you please tell me how to get these deposits into the bank accounts? I have reconciled the Accounts Receivable and Grant Income accounts and they are correct. It's just the bank accounts that are missing the deposits. 

Solved
Best answer March 22, 2019

Best Answers
EThomasHIHAF
Level 2

Each of these receipts are the same amount. I downloaded all of the deposits and payments from the Undeposited Funds to Excel with this amount and the total is 0. But when I look at this fiscal year, it does not balance. So this means that some of the deposits have been posted to the previous fiscal year even though the actual receipts came in this fiscal year. (Did I mention that I'm doing clean up of the books?)  So I think I just need to change the dates on 2 of the deposits to this fiscal year.  Thank you for your replies. I appreciate it. 

View solution in original post

20 Comments 20
john-pero
Community Champion

Deleting a deposit only returns to Undeposited Funds those items that came from Undeposited Funds to begin with.  Manual entries in a deposit or added from a bank feed will disappear.

Since the items did not return to UF when you deleted the deposit that means they were not there to start. Unless you are dealing with just cash your bank website and local branch will have pictures of all checks in a deposit

EThomasHIHAF
Level 2

I had to delete the deposit from Undeposited Funds before I could change the AR Payments, so I know they had been cleared from Undeposited Funds. I now need a way to get these funds to the bank account. 

Charies_M

Hello there, EThomasHIHAF.

Thanks for providing additional information. I want to make sure this is taken care of. 

If you wish to get those funds to the correct bank, you can create a deposit using the Make Deposit option in QuickBooks Desktop.

Here's how:

1. Go to the Banking menu.
  2. Select Make Deposits.
  3. In the Payments to Deposit window, click to select the payments you wish to deposit.
  4. Click Ok.
  5. In the Make Deposits window, click the Deposit To drop-down and select the first bank account.
  6. Enter a line then click the From Account drop-down and choose the second bank account.
  7. In the Amount column, enter a negative amount equal to the amount you want to deposit to the second account.
  8. Click Save & Close.

I've got you an article to know more about how bank deposit works in QuickBooks Desktop: Make Deposit.

That should do it. Don't hesitate to visit us again if you have additional questions with making deposits. I'm always here to help.

EThomasHIHAF
Level 2

The problem is that these deposits are not in the Payments to Deposit window. Even the the AR Payment looks like it put it in the Undeposited Funds, it doesn't show up in the Payments to Deposit window. That's why I can't get them in the bank account.  

EThomasHIHAF
Level 2

Each of these receipts are the same amount. I downloaded all of the deposits and payments from the Undeposited Funds to Excel with this amount and the total is 0. But when I look at this fiscal year, it does not balance. So this means that some of the deposits have been posted to the previous fiscal year even though the actual receipts came in this fiscal year. (Did I mention that I'm doing clean up of the books?)  So I think I just need to change the dates on 2 of the deposits to this fiscal year.  Thank you for your replies. I appreciate it. 

deeproots78
Level 1

I am having the same issue, but support can't seem to fix it.  Did you ever figure out how to fix this?

Rasa-LilaM
QuickBooks Team

Thanks for joining on this thread, @deeproots78.

I know you've already given our Technical Support Team a call, but I recommend giving it another try. This type of issue calls for more in-depth support than the general troubleshooting that we do here in the Community.

One of our agents can take a second look into this to try to figure out what's happening (and they can look into your case from a previous call if one was opened and go over any troubleshooting notes.

Here’s how to reach them:

1. Go to the Help section of the company file to see the contact details.
  2. Choose QuickBooks Desktop Help to open the Have a Question window.
  3. Hit the Contact us link to see the Contact Us screen.
  4. Tap the Search for something else link and then enter the issue in the field box.
  5. Press the Search menu to display the Message Us feature.

For future reference, the following articles provide an overview of depositing payments in the Undeposited Funds account as well as  instructions on how to record your account receivables.

If you need further assistance while working in QuickBooks, click the Reply button and post a comment. I’ll be right here to help and make sure you’re taken care of. Have a good one.

deeproots78
Level 1

I spent almost 3 hours in a chat with QB and Intuit.  The QB help center was totally incompetant, and kept asking the same questions.  Eventually, told me I had to upgrade to pay for help, so I'm hoping to find answers here, as it was a terrbile customer service experience.

Charies_M

I appreciate sharing your sentiments with us, deeproots78.

Your experience with the support is not what we expect you to feel. Please know that asking help from our Merchant Support Team is free of charge. If you haven't called them yet, I suggest doing so. They have the tools to help trace down the cause on why there are payments or deposits that are not posted in QuickBooks.

Here’s how to contact us:

1. Visit: https://community.intuit.com/browse/payments-contact-us
  2. Choose QuickBooks Payments.
  3. Use the phone number listed to contact us.

Their support hours are from 6 AM to 6 PM PST (Mondays to Fridays) and from 6 AM to 3 PM PST on Saturdays. 

Let me know if you have any follow-ups or other questions. I'm always here to help. Wishing you a good one.

deeproots78
Level 1

Just spent over an hour with terrible service, placed on hold twice for extended periods of time, and was disconnected.  Is there anyone competent I can talk to?

GraceC
QuickBooks Team

Hello there, @deeproots78.

In QuickBooks, you have the option to edit the payments when you know the exact bank account. Let me guide you how.

1. Go to Banking.
  2. Select the Use Register.
  3. Click the drop-down arrow, then choose the Undeposited Funds.
  4. Hit OK.
  5. From there, choose the Account then Click.
  6. Under From Account, click the drop-down arrow.
  7. Choose the banking you want to deposit.
  8. Click Save and close.

After that, you can pull up You can get more details in these articles:

Please don't hesitate to click the Reply button if you need more help. Have a good day!

Jblu
Level 2

I followed the listed steps and now I can't save the info because the error is requesting that I select an account for the deposit. If I am in the bank register I would assume that the program would know that's the account I want for it to be entered in. Suggestions? I found that there were at least five deposits that did not make it in. 

RenjolynC
QuickBooks Team

Thanks for chiming in on this thread, Jblu.

I'd like to share some steps to help you deposit the payments. 

If you can't find the payments in the Payments to Deposit window, it's possible that the payment was directly deposited to a different account.

Let's open the payment and check the Deposit To field by following these steps:

1. Go to Customer > Customer Center.
  2. Select the customer's name and open the payment.
  3. In the Deposit To field, if you see a different account, change it to Undeposited Funds.
  4. Click Save and Close

Here's a sample screenshot for reference:

Once done, go back to Banking > Make Deposits and you will see the payment in the Payments to Deposit window. 

To set the Undeposited Funds as a default account for your payments, you can enable the option in the preferences.

Here's how:

1. Go to Edit > Preferences.
  2. Click the Payments tab on the left panel and select Company Preferences.
  3. Put a check mark on the Use Undeposited Funds as a default deposit to account box.
  4. Hit OK.

I'm adding these articles for more information:

Please reach out to me again if you have any additional questions or other concerns. I'll be right here to help you out some more. Take care!

Jblu
Level 2

Thank you so much for responding. Unfortunately, I do not have QB desktop. Your setup looks much easier to maneuver that the version that I am working with. 

MichelleBh

Thanks for the clarification and immediate reply, @Jblu.

I have all the knowledge and resources necessary to help with all of your QuickBooks needs. To do this, can you please provide a screenshot of your bank register? Thus, I can furnish you with the exact steps without a moment's delay. Please note that this is a public forum, so refrain from sharing any private personal or business information.

In the meantime, check out our QuickBooks Help Articles. This page contains information on how to handle your bank data, reports, customer payments, and other related topics. Also, you can click the drop-down arrow to choose your accurate product. See the sample screenshot below for your reference. 

I'll be waiting for your response, @Jblu. Keep safe always. 

Neil25
Level 1

I have the same problem. That is, I can process a payment to a customer's AR account and it reduces their balance. But that transaction doesn't show up in the "record deposits" window. This process was working fine until about a week ago. I contacted support. All they wanted to do was sell me the online version of Quickbooks. I spoke to them for an hour and they were no help at all. They said my 2019 version of Quickbooks Premier Edition 2019 was too old for support now. Very disappointed in Ituit now. They appear to be staffing their help desk with sales people. WTF is going on? Do I need to go search for another accounting program?  

Neil25
Level 1

I had the same experience a few days ago and a very similar problem. I only spent about an hour before I decided to call it quits though. All the support person wanted to do was sell me an newer version of Quickbooks. He acted more like a sales person than technical support. Very disappointed in Intuit right now. 

Angelyn_T
QuickBooks Team

I want to ensure you won't go through this kind of experience again, Neil. Thus, I'm here to take care of your concern about your payments and deposits.

An invoice payment won't show up on the pending deposit window if the amount is already added to your bank account. For now, I recommend checking out the payment entry to review the Deposit To account.

Here's how:

1. Locate and open the Receive Payment transaction.
  2. Review the details and ensure the payment is deposited to the Undeposited Funds
  3. If not, update the account under the Deposit To section.

Once done, the transaction will be pending on the Payments to Deposit window.

When you're ready to make a deposit, you can check out this link as your guide: Record and make bank deposits in QuickBooks Desktop.

Moving forward, you can set your preferences to deposit the payments into the undeposited funds to avoid future issues.

1. Go to the Edit menu, then click on Preferences.
  2. Tap on Payments at the left pane, then go to the Company Preferences section.
  3. Mark the box beside the Use Undeposited Funds as a default deposit to account.
  4. Hit OK to save the changes.

From there, your future payments will be deposited to the Undeposited Funds and will surely be showing up on the Payments to Deposit screen.

For more hints about the account receivable workflow in QuickBooks Desktop, you can open this article: Get started with customer transaction workflows in QuickBooks Desktop.

You can also get more tips about tracking your sales and other customer entries through this link: Topics about your company's income and customers.

If you have any other follow-up questions about your payments and deposits, please let me know by adding a comment below. I'm more than happy to help. Wishing you a good one!

Neil25
Level 1

Thank you for this information. I think this will fix my current problem. However, because the system was reducing the balances in our member's dues accounts but not showing up in the deposits I also entered their payments in the deposits. I did that so we would be able to reconcile with our bank records at the end of the month. Now I realize that those payments were also posting to our "prepaid dues" account. Not sure how to correct that now? Will eliminating the payments to the prepaid dues account correct that problem or just create additional problems?  Is there a better method do correct what I have already done?  Neil 

DivinaMercy_N

I've got your back in making sure these payments will show on the deposit window, @Neil25

To isolate the issue, you can edit the payments posted to the prepaid dues account and allocate them under the Undeposited Funds account. As a result of this, the transactions will be visible in the deposit window. Here's how to do it:

1. Open your QuickBooks Desktop (QBDT) program and click the Accountant tab.
  2. Choose Chart of Accounts.
  3. Locate and double-click the Prepaid Dues account.
  4. From there, find the payment you'll need to edit.
  5. Double-click the payment transaction to open it.
  6. Next, from the A/R Account field, choose Accounts Receivable.
  7. Check the box and then select Save & Close.
  8. Click Yes to confirm the action. 

The payments will now be under the Undeposited Funds account. The next step is to put them on the correct bank account using the Make Deposit feature. Let me guide you how:

1. Select the Banking tab and choose Make Deposits.
  2. Check the payments you've recently edit.
  3. Then, click OK.
  4. From the Deposit To field, choose the correct bank account you want the payment to be deposited. 
  5. Once done, click Save & New.

For your reference about the process, you can visit this article: Record and make bank deposits in QuickBooks Desktop. It also includes steps on how you can deposit payment into two separate accounts or to other bank accounts. 

Just in case you'll need to have a list of the deposits you've recently entered so you can review the details, you can run the Deposit Detail report. Refer to the steps below:

1. Go to the Reports menu and select Report Center.
  2. Hover over to the Banking section.
  3. Look for the Deposit Detail report and click it to open.

Simply click the Reply button if you have additional queries about depositing your payments using Undeposited Funds account. I'd be happy to help you further. Take care.

Need to get in touch?

Contact us